Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Thursday Morning

3K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  George Foster 
#1 ·
62° here in Upstate NY under mostly clear skies this morning, the high temperature is going up to about 82°. It iwll be a sunny day with a slight chance for a showet but it is only slight. We have a brief thunderstorm last evening.

I was on the road yesterday morning and then I was able to spend time here at home. Today my plan is to get stay home and I may or may not mow the yard. So far this year it have been growing so fast it is hard to keep up.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

#3 ·
Good morning from Kearney Missouri, it's 70 and clear, high of 93. Good day yesterday, b no issues driving and got to spend quality time friends last evening. This morning is finding breakfast and doing battle with rush hour traffic. Destination is Ft. Smith AR.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

#5 ·
Good morning boys. It’s 71 in Indy heading for 82 with a chance of rain. A cut-and-paste day. Loaded 500 rds of .204 yesterday. Probably do as much .223 today. We head for SD in a week.

Final game of the Women’s College World Series is this afternoon. Florida State vs. Oklahoma for all the marbles. Been some great softball throughout the tournament.

Here we come Thursday. Have a good day.

#6 ·
morning all. 40 to start our way to mid 80s, no moisture but 35mph breeze today.
Got one of the red tractors worked on yesterday morning, guess I got it fixed, it stayed running in the field all day!
Several sprinklers were worked on yesterday, lots of ladder work and my legs and feet are telling me about that this morning.
Even made time to whack a few p-dogs out around the farm. Always makes for a better day when a person get in a little shooting.
More sprinkler work today, won't be long till we start cutting hay, so have all that equipment to get ready to go.
Better get, have a great and safe day. Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

#7 ·
Great morning everyone,

A very sunny and pleasant 66° here near HalfwayUSA. Humidity broke yesterday when the winds switched to the north. The temperature went from 92° to 82° in about a half hour.

Well the plan I had for yesterday was blown out before 8am. Deb's dad called a 8am on the dot ALLLL flustered and agitated about his septic tank. It was scheduled to be pumped Tuesday. NOPE that wasn't good enough it has to be done today and dug up and uncovered today and pumped today and uncovered today... Debra Dearest relented, call the septic tank pumping company & they were gracious enough to schedule it for Thursday. I went over there by 8:45, uncovered & got things ready to have it handled Thursday. Then I spent 20 minutes convincing him that it wasn't getting pumped today (Wednesday) but in fact it will be tomorrow(Thursday). FOR THE RECORD, it doesn't need to be pumped.

I made the most of the trip since I was half way to my aunt & uncle's anyway. I went there afterward to power wash their back deck. That is so the house is more presentable and real estate agent can get a better commission without him actually doing anything to earn it. :mad:

If you read that lengthy rant and you liked it you give me a call because I can carry on for an hour more. :ROFLMAO:

I'm heading for old hunting partner's today to take care of some chores & write some checks.

TOMORROW I will get the tires on the big truck repaired. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Good morning folks. It's 68 here they say and sunny. One more hot day they say and tomorrow will only be in the 70's. We had rain all around us yesterday, but none fell at the house. Awfully dry up here. Hopefully we'll get some they are predicting for tomorrow. I got my mowing done last night early, so I had a few hours to kill before Sue got home. I saw the farm was mowed on my way home so I grabbed the 20 TAC and ran over to see what was going on. First field, nothing. I was early (4PM) and it was hot though. This is a fun field to set up on, but usually gets grown up fast so I only have a short window to hunt it. Shots can range from 150 to 450 or so.

I moved to the 2nd field about 5pm and quickly saw a few hogs. One big one way out in the center of the field and 3 pups. I got a phone call that distracted me and the big one got back to the hole at the edge of the field. Popped one pup about 100 yards, head shot, gun seemed on. The other 2 spooked and went in. A few minutes later I saw another pup about 275-300 yards. Either I'm out of practice, or need to re-check zero, but I missed him 2X. 😳Second shot sent him straight up in the air but he landed and ran. He got his 1st lesson in flight. The second will be his last.

No mice in the trap this morning and none laying around anywhere. I'm sure I got some shot in the bugger last night. He's hurting if not dead by now.

Well I need to get busy. Working closer to the weekend. Have a good one.

Charlie

#9 ·
Sixty seven and going to eighty three if they are right. We had the same cool front come through yesterday like Skruske but we were only at 81 at the time. So 71 was so pleasant. I was up at 4;3o today for the A.M. walk and went back to bed and then up again at 7:50 so I missed the eclipse. No big deal in my book. But sleep is good. I have to hit the P.O. To get a couple items in the mail. I just love it when you track these items and get that e-mail that an item is still in transit but will arrive later than originally predicted. Arrrgh.

#10 ·
Good morning, GoGo. It's 73 in Louisville, going to 82. Expecting more thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Most of my flowers and veggies are loving the frequent showers, I'll say that.

My big lesson learned yesterday is that the people who survived the Chinese Flu and then took the vaccine have lost their minds. Sorry if that offends, but it may be true. What has me stirred up is that I got in touch with the owner of an old farmhouse near Pigeon Forge, TN, where Cindy and I stayed in October 2019. We booked through AirBnB at $103 a night for five nights, plus about $200 in various fees and charges. I contacted the property's owners yesterday and they've raised the price for this October to $160 a night, plus those same fees. That's a 60% increase in two years. I thought they were nuts, so I checked out other prices in the area for that same time and they've ALL gone crazy. So, I figured, OK, we'd prefer to be out on our own, but I'll just check hotel prices. If anything, they've been raised even higher than the cabin prices. Two and three-star hotel rooms are running $175-$200 a night, or more. Some of y'all are business owners, so I'm asking for your take on this. What I've always thought would be a crazy stupid price hike apparently isn't, and I don't get it.

Glad to see some of us are getting out and trying to whack varmints. You'll nail those whistle pigs next time, Charlie. And congrats on giving that one pup a little air time, even if it wasn't fatal.

Scott, when we marry our brides, we also marry their families, like it or not. Sorry you're having such a crappy time dealing with a FIL's septic tank that doesn't even need to be pumped. As for doing the power wash on the home that's gonna be sold, I'm sure both the Realtor and the benefactors of the sale will thank you profusely. 😉

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and remember to pray for our members with health issues and for our nation.

#22 ·
I'm trying to understand what blaming someone who chose to take a Covid-19 vaccine has to do with higher lodging costs where a person might want to vacation? It seems like a very thin argument from someone with maybe a very shallow mind or perhaps someone with an agenda of some kind.

Please note that my comment has nothing to do with whether I've received a Covid-19 vaccine or not. Without knowing me, you'd only be guessing. And your guess would probably be wrong.

All I see is business owners without an income for 15-18 months trying to get back on their feet. Maybe try supporting them since your income was not affected like their's was.

Good morning, GoGo. It's 73 in Louisville, going to 82. Expecting more thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Most of my flowers and veggies are loving the frequent showers, I'll say that.

My big lesson learned yesterday is that the people who survived the Chinese Flu and then took the vaccine have lost their minds. Sorry if that offends, but it may be true. What has me stirred up is that I got in touch with the owner of an old farmhouse near Pigeon Forge, TN, where Cindy and I stayed in October 2019. We booked through AirBnB at $103 a night for five nights, plus about $200 in various fees and charges. I contacted the property's owners yesterday and they've raised the price for this October to $160 a night, plus those same fees. That's a 60% increase in two years. I thought they were nuts, so I checked out other prices in the area for that same time and they've ALL gone crazy. So, I figured, OK, we'd prefer to be out on our own, but I'll just check hotel prices. If anything, they've been raised even higher than the cabin prices. Two and three-star hotel rooms are running $175-$200 a night, or more. Some of y'all are business owners, so I'm asking for your take on this. What I've always thought would be a crazy stupid price hike apparently isn't, and I don't get it.

Glad to see some of us are getting out and trying to whack varmints. You'll nail those whistle pigs next time, Charlie. And congrats on giving that one pup a little air time, even if it wasn't fatal.

Scott, when we marry our brides, we also marry their families, like it or not. Sorry you're having such a crappy time dealing with a FIL's septic tank that doesn't even need to be pumped. As for doing the power wash on the home that's gonna be sold, I'm sure both the Realtor and the benefactors of the sale will thank you profusely. 😉

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and remember to pray for our members with health issues and for our nation.

#11 ·
Its 73, hot and humid on the way to 83 w/50% chance of
rain today and tonight.
Mike the increase of pricing on everything is mostly MEDIA driven.
The Media started the increased price crap, now this is what the public expects, so vendors fall in line and raise their prices so the media isn't lying like they usually do

BTW where is JR and Birdog. I haven't seen a post from either in several days on any boards. I hope all is well.
Has Doc returned from his PD safari ? If he has posted, I missed it. Ya'll have a goodun. LDS

#12 ·
Hey LDS!
JR is right here reading adventures of everyone....problems.
Another rainy day in the sticks of Kentucky but I have hay balls to move to stacks.
Going to spray Damcows first thing after Cat breakfasts because the Flies are crazy bad with the rain.

I haven't heard a thing about the big Prairie Dog Safari of Voldoc and Birdog a couple weeks ago. Maybe they are still out there????
Yall have a nice day.

#13 ·
48° calling for a balmy 66° today. Not much going on today but I did find this. It will do your heart good JR.

does anyone know what they are using for a light, or is it a night lens on the camera?

#15 ·
The first 10 seconds they did me. They shot a beautiful Bobcat.
I am a Cat Lover and never shoot Bobcats.....Cats are Cats are Cats.
I hate Coyotes and kill all I can....any size any age anytime. Just not a Dog person in general maybe cause my years as a mail carrier.
No. I Ain't Queer.....just don't fit the profile I suppose.

#14 ·
Morning all, 72 headed to 82, with rain and more rain for today, and tomorrow. Got a young man coming down to help me get rid of some old cabinetry in the shop, tear out a old counter from when I had the gun shop business in there years ago, and put in a table I bought at a recent auction, got 2 nice tables for $10 total. Got a busy day ahead , got to run, you all have a good one, Buff out.

#16 ·
Morning Folks!

Its 81º and cloudy here headed for the upper 80's with rain in the forecast. We had several Tornado warnings across the State yesterday evening with one touching down in a field about 5 miles from us.

Yesterday morning I got out and rode around the country side some looking at all of the flooded fields. Wow, it looks bad! My running buddy called and we rode up to Little Rock and had lunch at one of the Breweries. On the way back we stopped at a pool supply place so he could buy a replacement pump. Ouch, $700 for a 3/4 hp Jacuzzi style pump! We changed it out after we got back and sat around the pool and had a couple of beers.

Todays plan is to gather up my 2 new barrels and all of the other stuff and take it to my buddies shop. One barrel is going on a new action so thats simple enough. The other is going on an existing rifle so I'll remove the scope, rings and bases and trigger. If I feel up to it I'll pull the old barrel off.

Prayers offered for our members having health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

#17 ·
Good morning all....ain't been out of the hotel yet today. 3 hour time change and all this Las Vegas shit wore us out last night. Should be heading north here in a bit to a whole lot less busy and crowded Elko. My son just got finished with his nightshift week and will be off 5 days I believe.
First thing we noticed when we walked to the strip last night was the strong smell of Weed.....everywhere!....oh and some very very expensive looking ladies. Also Wahlburgers while good is high dollar.....dropped $100 on 2 cheeseburgers fries and a chicken sandwich. I had a beer as well.
Also people with with mask that aren't that good at English are almost impossible to understand and are very plentiful here.
At least I wasn't working and my day wasn't as crappy as Scott's.;)
Plane ride wasn't bad for my first one.. we sat right by the wing so my view was obstructed for the most part....except seeing that big ass wing flex up and fall out on the end....made me thing of bending a piece of steel back and forth and it breaking. :oops:

Well hope everyone has a good day. I'm going tonsee if I can get a cup of coffee that won't cost $10.

#19 ·
Shane G., planes are designed for the wings to stay in the metal's elastic range, even if they flex/bend a bit during the flight. They do eventually have a fatigue limit and get retired, but they also get inspected visually and with a lot of NDE instruments during their life. Sit back and enjoy the flight.

#20 ·
79º and cloudy with an occasional drizzle in the hollow this late morning. I've had my two old man's Dr visits this week and I hope I'm done for a while. I hope this afternoon's chores will consist of a nap, screwing a rechambered barrel on a BAT and maybe loading some ammo for Saturday's match.
Like JR I tend to be a cat lover, but also like my dogs who are currently on the couch with me. My family once gave me a little black cat for Father's Day. She was devoted to me from day one and loved to sleep under my desk lamp. She died nine years later on Father's Day. I love my pets and miss them when they're gone.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

#21 ·
I get it with the pets. When we had to put Zeke down I cried so hard on the way home I had to pull over because I couldn’t drive. I didn’t think it would hit me that hard. I use to think if it moved I had to shoot it., not any more. It is hard to think of a Bobcat as a predator. In eastern Oregon they where shot gunning the coyotes from a plane. They were wiping out the Antelope. They were killing the young while they where being born.

Reactions: JRinKY
#27 ·
You're probably right, ILL Codger. Everyone knows that only libs own and rely upon seasonal businesses in the lodging and tourism related service businesses for year around survival. My error for the oversight.

I just happen to live in an area where what money that can be earned in the summer months through the tourist traffic, supplanted by several weeks during hunting season, allows these people to survive for the rest of the year to once again supply their businesses for tourists the next year, but Covid still shut down their businesses for an extended time none the less. My wife and I happen to know a lot of those people who are friends and neighbors to us. Just about all of those people heavily voted Republican and for Trump in 2016 and in 2020. Unfortunately our state's 3 electoral votes didn't tit the wheel enough even though the state voted 61.8% for Trump.

You'll get no argument from me concerning the more lucid second and third sentence in your post. Sorry that I have to say it, but your first sentence makes no sense at all.

#28 ·
Sheridan Lake, the area KF was talking about, is booked solid all year long, they have bike and car rallys, Thanksgivning and Christmas specials, Valentine day specials, You name it they stay booked all year long, Tourist trap from hell, everything is over priced. I was one and done, they are just gouging everyone they can.

#29 · (Edited)
I'm still curious if they are all liberals who all took Covid vaccines.

For comparison purposes on hotel rates. And these are internet prices which are cheaper than walk-up traffic.

I do know for a fact that the 3 different bed and breakfast business in the area where I live, whose owners are close friends, are very comparable and even higher than local motels/hotels. Some others in the area are likely more expensive.

W live in the Black Hills maybe 10 miles as the crow flies from Mt. Rushmore. Hotel prices and bed and breakfast places are even higher in the small tourist town about 2 miles from Rushmore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.