Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been mulling this over for a bit, read the user feedback on the Midway site, see that some folks like the Lee cutters over the RCBS cutters, and overall had at least a very conservative 85% two thumbs up rating.

I have the Dillon primer pocket swage tool, the RCBS swager that goes on the press ram and hand held p-pocket uniformer, and a bench lathe - just to give you an idea what is available to me immediately.

Which way would you guys go? Have yet to talk with anyone who uses one or even seen one domesticated as opposed to one in "the wild" at a shop or gun show. Only drawback I remember from the owner feedback is the noise factor and someone grumped that it didn't come loaded with all accessories.

Seems this was mentioned a couple of weeks back?:eek: What say ye??

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
RCBS Case Prep Center

I like it but then it's all I've ever used. Just sit down at the bench and go to it. I do the outside then the inside of the case mouth, clean the primer pocket, then run a brush in the case mouth in about the time it takes to read this. Never even considered the noise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one that I have used for 10+ years and it still works fine. I like it because I only have to handle the case one time to do inside deburring, outside deburring, clean inside of the neck and clean the primer pocket. :) I think my came with all attachments except the inside neck brushes but it takes regular cleaning rod brushes.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I recently picked one up from a fella that was getting rid of his loading setup. I am prepping a lot of brass this winter, and already I wonder how I got along with out it. Mine has the inside and outside chamfers, both primer brushes, and the flashhole deburring tool mounted on the turning spindles, as well as nylon brushes mounted on the top holes. I'm trimming each caliber as a bunch on my Lyman powered trimmer, then taking each case through pocket cleaning, inside, outside chamfer, then flash hole deuburring, then down over the nylon brush to brush any crud out that may be there.
I normally haven't processed such a large number of cases before, and have been happy with taking my 40 or 50 cases one at a time through each step before moving on to the next step. If prepping large numbers of cases, I vote it now as a "must have" tool. Very glad I got mine!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I have The RCBS Case Center

Tom, I have used the RCBS Case Center for several years. The first thing
I did when I got mine was to take a regular deburring tool to a machine
shop and have it cut in half, a hole machined out in the center and that hole
press fitted with a piece of cold steel and threaded. Why ? To replace the
junk tooling that came on the RCBS Case Center to deburr and chamfer the
necks. I like the primer pocket tooling. I have had several done for other
shooting friends that are using the RCBS Case Center. I called RCBS and
suggested that they do something about this, but, it apparently fell on
deaf ears. Other than that, they have a good piece of equipment. It is
going to cost you antoher $20 or so to get it up to snuff. Then you will
have a good piece of equipment that will last you for years & years and
do an excellent job quickly on your cases. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one. Saves my fingers and hands everytime I use it. Same as others, I put a brush on for the case necks. I used a bronze bore brush.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned and greatly used both the RCBS Case Preparation Center and the RCBS Electric Case Trimmer for as many years as they have been made. Both are much faster than doing the operations manually by hand and there is absolutely no loss of precision.

If you load a lot of ammunition, as I do, both units are a "must have."

Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
My thoughts...

I've prep'd cases about all the ways one can fathom. For true BR accuracy work I still use the singular case by case method and take lots of time. For bathes of 50-100-200 I use the RCBS Prep Center, it is worth the money and very ergonomic. Just arrange the various brushes, cutters, cleaners in the correct index according to your work flow. (rearrange other pieces of reloading equipment if neccessary) However, for large batches 500-1000-5000 cases I use the Gracy units. The cutters are a real pain for proper setup, but once you learn to do so, they're fast, real fast. I can trim, inside and outside champer, 223's cases at approx. 1-1.25 per second intervals!

Back to the RCBS you asked about- buy it, take the advice offered here, and don't look back. The quality is OK, so so, actually substand to what we really want, but not what I personally would deem a real issue; it is priced as such.

One more thought, post a wanted ad here if you don't have one at hand somewhere, and in the classified ads as well. I have noticed many of these in perfect shape for sale at half the retail and hardly used. I always attempt to purchase equipment in as-new but carefully used condition before paying full retail. both to save money and to help out another reloader like the fine folks here.

Hope I've helped ya!

Tom (AceBall) Mac
==============
PS: I be a 'junior member' so what the hell would I know... :D

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jr Member??

You just haven't posted enough "Good Mornings":rolleyes: :D That'll get your "count" up toute suite. Ask me how I know:D :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, for doing quantity brass prep for prairie dog use, I saved my hands. I use it for all my brass prep just because I got mine before I had any hand equipment. I had been "borrowing" my friends equipment, and when I aquired my own, I knew I wanted the electric for quantity. I am glad I have mine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
RCBS case prep center.....YES, YES, YES

1st time I saw one was just after I finished prepping over 500 cases by hand and said, I'll take one, please! This is a great piece of equipement and is a must have for me. Good luck.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts