Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The air was redolent with the scent of sage as I started the Foxpro on Lucky bird. I chose that sound because there had been tire tracks in the snow on the two track that I had walked in on and I figured if they were callers they probably blew "rabbit in distress" all the time. Something different might get a coyote up and moving in the single digit temps. After twenty minutes the only thing I'd seen was a few gray Jays and two cottontail rabbits. It was a shame because it was such a good looking calling spot and I was certain there were both coyotes and bobcats around. I had seen coyote tracks in the snow as I walked in. Moving on a half mile or so. I set up again. This spot wasn't as good looking as the first and I didn't even turn on the caller, I just sat for 30min glassing as the sun reflected off of a miniature hoodoo and warmed my blood. More rabbits, more birds, even a mouse, but no predators. I rounded the head of the draw, headed down the other side for a ways and then took the saddle over to the adjacent draw. I set up the foxpro, reclined into a cedar bush and napped in the sun for slightly longer than I had intended. The temps had surely warmed but I didn't have any idea how much. As there wasn't a two track into this draw, I started with rabbit distress and after two sets went back to lucky bird. Nothing. I walked out the bottom of the draw and followed the road back to the truck. The temp had risen to 22° No wonder I was so darned warm.
Nylon then wool socks and lacrosse pacs had my feet feeling down right toasty. Perfomance long johns by Magallan and a sweat shirt and jeans with some cheap ski bibs and a down jacket and I was cooking. Add to that a fleece lined ballcap and a fleece 5way hood. I was prepared for COLD and this just wasn't. At least as long as I was out of the breeze. When I initially walked in, the breeze was near calm. By the time I got back to the truck, it had picked up to maybe 5mph with gusts to 10 from the southwest. I drove up the road and called out two more draws, Nada! Tracks from the night before, but nothing stirring now. I moved on up the road. I didn't have much time left. The weather back at the house was pretty miserable and I had one bad canyon to drive through and one iffy one. I walked up a short draw, went over the saddle to the other side and sat and glassed a near barren slope that faces south and was protected somewhat from the wind which by now was really starting to gust. Calling wouldn't have gotten me much the way conditions were deteriorating. After 45min of glassing and not seeing anything, I called it good and headed back for the truck. Most of that trip was walking into a stiff wind that was being funneled straight up that draw. My face, right around the eyes, which was the only exposed skin on me, really took a beating on that short walk. Chemical handwarmers applied to the face kept frostbite at bay.
The drive home was predicably slow but too dicey. The worst was meeting oncoming tractor trailers. They were leaving a 5 second whiteout behind them due to the light fluffy snow that was falling.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sweet Larry.

BEAUTIFUL country. It was 73 here today :eek: tooooooo warm for my blood. It was a late gun season for deer but who wants to hunt deer when they will rot while dragging out! grin
I went riding, cutting up wood, visiting, etc. Keep the pix coming and big hello to Lynn

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Breeze????

You sure got some great pics,whats that white stuff?The snow we got yesterday melted by noon :D
Was gona go out and site in the new CZ and try some calling but the wind dang near blew me off the driveway.Should have got out yesterday:(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Larry,
Hard to believe you didn't get something out of that sage flat. I went out Friday AM and we had NO luck either. They're starting to pack up for mating and are damn hard to get to respond to a rabbit right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great Pictures.....Really makes me want to be in that country. :(
Thanks for sharing :D
Never happy....I'm always wanting what I don't have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts