Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been promising my kids (5 and 8) that I'd take them to the range and let them shoot my 17 HMR. Well this last weekend, we had some beautiful weather and we took advantage of it! I took a box of the 20gr. HP's and a box of the Hornady 17 gr vmax's. Targets were clay pigeons, soup cans a few plastic bottles filled with water and some juicy grapefruits (normally, I love grapefruit, but these were horrible). I think I got them hooked on shooting!:D The cans and clay birds were fun, but they loved the water bottles and grapefruit. I was really surprised at the damage the little 17 did to the grapefruit. Splattered them real well at 50 yards and exploded them at 25 yards! We didn't burn off as many rounds as I'd hoped. My son had a hard time getting the scope on target with the long length of pull. But with a few sand bags for a makeshift rest he was doing really well. My daughter shot a very impressive group at 50 yards for her first time. Primarily, I just wanted them to have fun and learn some gun safety. Great family fun ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great to hear that you are getting your kids involved. I can still remember the days my father spent taking me hunting and to the range. We still get together a couple of times a year to shoot and hunt together.

I have a 2 yo daughter and can hardly wait to get her out with me. Kudos for being a great father, I am sure your kids had a wonderful time and are looking forward to their next outing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try the VMAX'S ON ONIONS

We have the most fun with cheap small yellow onions. Center hits are very dramatic. We have also had fun with 22's on large marshmellows floating in a small stock tank with a high dirt bank. When hit correctly they will fly 50 ft in the air. I want to try the marshmellows on a dirt berm with the 17 HMR and the Vmax's and see what happens.

In any case you have the right idea on getting them hooked. Use reactive targets and make it easy for them to suceed.

Thanks for sharing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts