Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having had nothing more pressing to do, and needing to get out from under the wifes feet, I decided a snowshoe trip up the hill behind the house was in order. I threw the essensials into the pack, grabbed the Stevens 200 from the safe, put it all in the truck and drove around to the trailhead. I was surprised to see that none of the local snowmobilers had been up on the trail yet.
Strapping on the snowshoes, I grabbed my gear and headed up the hill. Several inches of fresh powder overnight made it easy to see what the local wildlife had been up to. There was not a single rabbit track anywhere and very few squirrels for that matter. It wasn't until I got to the gate to the State feed grounds that I saw any significant tracks at all. At the feed ground gates I came to 3 sets of elk tracks. They were headed my way so I followed their trail up to the area I had intended to call. Nearing the top of a finger ridge I ended up bumping into those elk. They were cows and calves.

This is where I set up to call and looks back down into Star Valley my house can be seen from here.
I put the Foxpro in an aspen tree,

and moved off a few yards. Since I hadn't seen any rabbit tracks I chose lucky bird and started the caller. After three series, and 45minutes on stand, the only response I got was two circling ravens. At 25°F out, I suspect it was just too warm.
This is the setup looking center left.

The snow was deeper, and it took me longer to get where I got than I had planned, so I didn't have time to make another stand before my deadline with the wife. I always tell her about how long I'm going to be gone and she worries fiercely if I'm late, so I headed back to the truck. I found 3 more elk, a calf, cow, and a spike, bedded on a ridge above me. Either would have been an easy shot had the season been in.

All in all it was a great way to spend 3 midday hours on Christmas Eve.

Peace to all of you!

Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great Picturres

Spent the day helping my cousin move roundbails. Saw three big does, Whitetail,no hunting here in VA on Sunday.Thanks for the pictures. May try to post some too.
jerrold:) :) :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Days afield....

The scenery in NW Wyoming is great. Also, time spent on a day as such are memories to fill your later days. I cruised yesterday with my camera. Rifle stayed in the case. Yesterday here in NW Montana was a mix of sun and snow showers. The mule deer were all on the south and south western facing slopes. All total I counted 39 does. Not one buck! But, it was all worth the effort and my dog "Lu" got some well needed exercise. Too bad I didn't get any decent photo ops.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
BEAUTIFUL photos, thanks

always can count on you for the great photos. By the way, what is that "White Stuff" y'all out there sprinkle on the ground so you can see tracks?

·
Registered
269 Posts
That third picture

Is one I'd love to have on a Christmas card! Thanks for the nice photos as usual Larry and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Only a couple of inches?

We ended up with near a foot of new snow(Casper Wy) We only had a dusting before and it will no doubt melt shortly:p Sure would like to get out calling but snow aint this old cripples freind so I'm hibernating till its gone!
Thanks for the pics and story,better luck next time getting a critter!
Merry Christmas

·
Registered
974 Posts
Great Pics.

Love those mountains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts