Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why? That makes the third forum that I belong to that has started this crap in the last week. When I want to see 'Trending posts from VarmintHunters.com!,' I'll go there. :mad:

Yeah, yeah, 'it only takes one click to opt out.' I shouldn't have to, since I wasn't asked.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just click on it with the other junk emails and delete it. Yeah, it's another almost spam item but it's just a click to put it away.
An issue I have and it started about a month ago is the home page for the forum and all sections are about 2 weeks behind. As of now, it shows the first post as the Vortex Bullet Cam. All of the forum sections are behind. I do not allow cookies to remain on my PC. When the browser close it unloads all of the cookies. That means I have to sign in to every forum I visit IF I want to post something. On this website, if I sign in, everything changes and it's all current. Sign out and it's about 2 weeks behind. There is no reading any page 2 of a pst as it comes up as page one only. I have no clue why the webmaster would do this. All they're doing is limiting the website to members only if you want current posts. Unless my eyes went blind, I don't see a major influx of new posters so if the idea is to keep this a semi private website.....it's working.

·
Administrator
4,331 Posts
The owners of this website own a lot of them and they installed new software a few week ago that is causing this problem on them all. Below is what an administrator on another site had to say about the problem.

I think this might be a result of a new function we added to the site. We recently added Cloudflare to the site to provide an optimum experience for users for both site speed and security. This programme prioritizes users who are logged in first so visitors to the site won't see the most up to date content. I'd say that's whats going on here.

Unfortunately, there aren't any plans on rolling back on Cloudflare at the moment.
But yes, you will need to be logged in in order to see the new posts. If you're logged out, you will see a cached version of the site.

This update to Cloudflare is a needed step in order to secure the site. Our network has been under a hailstorm of attacks and it is a needed tool for the security of the site and your data. However, one of the downfalls is that logged out users will not see the most current post as the page caches to increase speed for logged in users. The cache will update at various intervals depending on geographical location and time of day.

The good news is that in the last 7 days Cloudflare has thwarted over 1,100 attacks on this site alone.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I simply opt'd out on each of them.

Glad to see they have done something about security. Especially considering I have recently received threatening/spam/extortion emails that included details obtained from the current board owners.:mad:

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Cyber attacks outnumber robocalls I think. Unsubscribed from the trending thread emails. Our landline phone is through Comcast. They have a program called Nomorobo. Robocalls ring once and are gone. All of ‘em are scams.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I get the Trending Posts for all the websites I visit that this company owns, why they think we want them I don't know. Kind of a newsletter maybe???????? The company is Vertical Scope.

In my experience, Vertical Scope is bad news. Some time back I was one of some 30,000 users of a very popular Tractor forum. The website operated smoothly and we had very few problems. Then Vertical Scope, a company from Ontario, Canada bought our forum. Things went downhill from there.

Response times increased rapidly to the point the forum was virtually unusable. Supporting Members who made annual contributions because they enjoyed using the forum and the camaraderie they enjoyed reduced their contributions, their use of the forum and in many cases went elsewhere.

Anyone here notice this forum is a little slow lately? I'm almost afraid to hide & watch . . . :(

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Cyber attacks outnumber robocalls I think. Unsubscribed from the trending thread emails. Our landline phone is through Comcast. They have a program called Nomorobo. Robocalls ring once and are gone. All of ‘em are scams.
We got so tired of those calls we did away with our land line altogether.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Transition

Good deal. Hope the malady that affected the Tractor forum doesn't extend to our Varmint Hunting forum! ;)
We went through an awkward transition when Vertical Scope took over here as well. We lost several long-time members and several more, myself included, had a very difficult time getting back aboard when we suddenly found ourselves locked out. My initial experience with VS was far from confidence inspiring but I finally was lucky enough to get connected to a good guy there who resolved my issues. Don't remember his name or the names of the two lame-brains who were no help prior. But, here I am, and here I'll stay. My only issue now is what computer savvy guys call a PEBCAK. Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.