Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow Irishman Steve Mcvay and I head afield to my friends farm. It is cold here (for us) temp 19 at night / 42 days. Im sure if we wait on this one area, we will probably see coyotes in the afternoon on their way to dinner.

We got into a good hidden stand on the back slope of a 10' rise, and lay in wait....then it all went downhill fast.

1. While sitting hidden, overviewing two coyotes wandering 1200 yds away, 3 trespassing jerks in an Explorer drive in, toss a soda can out the window. So I wait till they get within 300 yards, jump up out of the set, and wave them over to me. Ask What are you doing? Tell them to get out, and stay out. (saw them here a couple weeks ago too, they admitted they did NOT have permission nor know the owners). I wondered why they had camo on. They admitted they just drive around, banging away out the windows. They apologize and leave, tail between legs. (wonder what they were thinking when they saw a 6'7" guy suddenly appear out of nowhere:rolleyes: :D

2. Half hour later, we settle down, and another coyote wanders into 800 yards of us and mouses. Just then, a white chevy truck (looks like neighbor farmer, but not sure) enters our field , but via the back road, and stops 400 yds away from coyote, promptly road-kills him, loads him into pickup, drives off. They high-five each other, and are probably headed to the dinner table to tell the family what great hunters they are. We cannot do anyting, short of shooting them, and decide not to this time.

3. We go with plan B now, and move on, to another set at dark, to call, and use our flashlights. I promptly rip my pants and almost fall going over barbed wire fence. Exercise freedom of swearing where no one can hear, and move on.

4. Plan "B" fails, then walking back in dark, I slip on a 6 ft. rise, and land on left knee (you remember,the ones with the ripped holes in them). Drop 257 Roberts on the hardpan, hurts like hell, feel like vomiting, causes shortness of breath, pain is sharp! Scope is covered with muck, as is barrel muzzle. Steve offers to carry my gun for me, so I hand it over.... and in 10 mins, Im up and limping onward.

5. 400 yards to the truck and seemingly safe from it all, CGSteve follows my lead,, and now HE falls off a 5 ft.sandy cliff that gives way suddenly under his foot, slips on ass, drops his CZ 223 rifle and gouges nice walnut stock, mine also got another dose of sand on the muzzle for good measure.

6. Get to truck, drive to favorite restaurant to eat, now starving at 9:30 pm. But restaurant is closed for re-modeling, (this happens once every 23 years or so, and after all it IS our lucky day)... so we drive to another place, a few miles out of our way. Heat is set at about 59 in the joint, but I dont feel like arguing, and food is "average" at best.

7. Steve forgot his cash this time, so I whip out the $35.00 and we get the hell out of there, rooting for midnight to arrive so I can wipe this day off the calendar and move forward. (albeit slowly, and without benefit of having a left knee).:p Once out to the truck, we notice Steve had left his passenger window open, in case anyone wanted a rifle, or a binocular, rangefinder, camera, phone, and misc. other items. Hey, something GOOD happened, no one stole anything!!

And Steve, Im just razzin' ya......(Steve bought lunch, and gas way more times than I have on our trips, just to set that straight)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Fellow Irishman Steve Mcvay and I head afield, to my friends farm. It is cold here (for us) temps at 19 at night / 42 days. Im sure if we wait on this one area, we will probably see coyotes in the afternoon on their way to dinner.

We got into a good hidden stand on the back slope of a 10' rise, and lay in wait....then it all went downhill fast.

1. While sitting hidden, overviewing two coyotes wandering 1200 yds away, 3 trespassing jerks in an Explorer drive in, toss a soda can out the window. So I wait till they get within 300 yards, jump up out of my set, and wave them over to me. Ask What are you doing? Tell them to get out, and stay out. (saw them here a couple weeks ago too, they admitted they did NOT have permission nor know the owners). I wondered why they had camo on. They admitted they just drive around, banging away out the windows. They apologize and leave, tail between legs. (wonder what they were thinking when they saw a 6'7" guy suddenly appear out of nowhere:rolleyes: :D

2. Half hour later, we settle down, and another coyote wanders into 800 yards and mouses. Just then, a white chevy truck (looks like neighbor farmer, but not sure)enters our field , but via the back road, and stops 400 yds away from coyote, promptly road-kills him, loads him into pickup, drives off. jThey high-five each other, and are probably headed to the dinner table to tell the family what great hunters they are. We cannot do anyting, short of shooting them, and decide not to this time.

3. We decide to try plan B now, and move on, to another set at dark, to call, and use our flashlights. I promptly rip pants and almost fall going over barbed wire fence. Exercise freedom of swearing where no one can hear, and move on.

4. Plan "B" fails, then walking back in dark, I slip on a 6 ft. rise, and land on left knee (the one with the holes in the $40 pants. Drop 257 Roberts on the hardpan, it hurts like hell, feel like vomiting, causes shortness of breath, the pain is that sharp! Scope is covered with muck, as is barrel muzzle. Steve offers to carry my gun, and in 10 mins, Im up and limping onward.

5. 400 yards to the truck, CGSteve follows my lead,, and now HE falls off a 5 ft.sandy cliff that gives way suddenly under his foot, slips on ass, drops his CZ 223 rifle and gouges nice walnut stock, mine also got another dose of sand on the muzzle for good measure.

6. Get to truck, drive to favorite restaurant to eat, now starving at 9:30 pm. Restaurant is closed for re-modeling, (this happens once every 23 yeras or so, and after all it iS our lucky day) so we drive to another place, a few miles out of our way. Heat is set at about 59 in the joint, but I dont feel like arguing, and food is "average" at best.

7. Steve forgot his cash this time, so I whip out the $35.00 and we get the hell out of there, rooting for midnight to arrive so I can wipe this day off the calendar and move forward. (albeit slowly, and without benefit of having a left knee).:p

And Steve, Im just razzin' ya......(Steve bought lunch, and gas way more times than I have on our trips, just to set that straight)
Really sorry to hear about your experience. But, I think it has helped me to decide on a good use for the Ruger hornet: coyote hunting. I'll just have to swap the Leupold that is now on it for a 6x tasco.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Some days it does not pay to get out of bed.:(

Hope ya heal up PDQ and get back after those yotes.

Know about those barbed wire fences..... no matter how high ya raise your leg, that top wire is a quarter inch taller.

For what it's worth... good tale!!:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Your suppose to hit the 'hard stuff' after the hunt! ;)

Go read... put another quarter in and play again.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Ah man John, that whole thing made me laugh 'til my guts hurt. Certainly not because you hurt your knee, but because when stuff goes wrong, it goes wrong in spades. I'm glad you had Steve along to blunt, and share, the misfortunes. Hope that heat pad heals that knee up fast. Be careful out there, too......the outdoors can still bite us in the A--!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wanna go hunting Steve?

I LIKE it when I have huntin pards that buy gas and food hehehehe lol.
You two needed a video of that little excursion. Might have paid off nicely.
"2007 Varmint Bloopers" :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
I LIKE it when I have huntin pards that buy gas and food hehehehe lol.
You two needed a video of that little excursion. Might have paid off nicely.
"2007 Varmint Bloopers" :D
I'll go, but only if YOU'RE buying! :D

That reminds me of when I had my boat before going back to college. I had a few friends that always wanted to go out and check out the females on the CA. Delta. I don't think they ever realized what went into getting a trip together until I had one guy offer to help me get everything together. Before that trip he had never offered any money or help. After that trip he was on the other guy to help and pitch in for costs. The first guy was amazed that a guy could drop $100-200 in a day on fuel alone.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start mowing John's lawn! :eek: ;)

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
John, this story proves you're not a Las Vegas gambler...

They only tell about the days they win big.....

Funny story...! But I sincerely hope that no human hunters (you and/or CG Steve) or valuable equipment were seriously harmed in making this very vivid story come alive.

Thanks for sharing.... I hope the next trip definitely works out better. It certainly couldn't get much worse than this one.

-BCB

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to my world

Cant win fer loseing some days:confused:
If we didnt have days like that....................................how would we know when we where haveing a good one?
Hope everything heals and tomarrow is a LOT better!!
CJ

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Believe me......My day was not much better 0 for 3 today. Now to work all week while the coyotes run rampant......Getum Saturday. JR

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isnt it awful?

Thanks guys for the comments, all you can do is laugh about it.:)

Im glad I had a "witness" to all this.

Knee is doing fair, and Ill re-zero that gun before taking it afield again.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad day. I guess now that its over, you can think that if it wasn't for the bad ones, you wouldn't appreciate the really good ones as much.
Ken

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Just when I'm feelin' sorry for myself ... LOL!

I'm sorry, John...fer laughing to tears!;) That was a perfect description of "one of those days" - kinda like the one I had today as well (at work)! Well, thanks for sharing. I look forward to to your posts, and I would have loved to have bought you two that (or a much better) meal and a cup o' coffee just to hear that story in person.:D Keep 'em commin!

P.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Been there and done that guys.... and worse.

And I never had the "pleasure" of having a witness/accomplice!

Hope the guns are ok!

As another guy posted, it sure makes you realize how good those other days were that got you skunked.

Great story and I'm glad everyone is ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.