Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The wind finally settled down for my partner & me to hit the range saturday afternoon. I carried a new Cobtender G2 carbine in 223, a marlin 336a in 30-30 & a m7ms in 308. The public range was sorta busy but we got 2 adjacent benches & set up. The contender shoots 1.0-1.5 inch groups with left overs from othe 223 adventures so may be I can get it to a solid 1" rifle. The marlin is a 2 year project that has a $100.00 trigger job but is still 5#, it shoots federal 170's at 1.75" but I have been trying various handloads trying for an inch. No luck today several 1.5". Because of the trigger I normally don't shoot another rifle at the same session.

My partner & I both grew up on m94's so we started shoting his peep sighted m71 & 94 at rocks 120 yards away. Offhand we were both able to shoot 5 shot pie plate groups. If my 336 only had the trigger pull of his m71. As much as I would like to hunt with an iron sited rifle 1 whole year my eyes are simply not adequate to see the front site much less the bead in hunting light conditions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tom, a big peep and a fiber-optic front sight will do wonders for your old eyes. You can simply look through and ignore the peep (as I'm sure YOU know, but there are people who have never shot with one) and that bright ball of captured sunlight front sight just pastes itself on the target.

With heavy triggers, I get better luck not using the very tip of my finger, but letting the trigger fall in the crease of the first joint. To shoot, I simply curl the finger. That would be horrible technique with a real light trigger, but works great with a "lawyer" model.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Tom, I'm in the same boat when it comes to Iron Sights. I love 'em and can't see 'em. Three ways to solve the problem to a point: #1 - change the front iron sight to a "Firesight". #2 - Go to a Peep sight in the back and/or #3 - If you want to keep the open rear sight, get a gun with a damned loonng barrel!! Godsdog.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried fire sites but I have a form of ALS in my eyes which makes it imposible to hold the focus long enough to shoot..I tried a m1895 with ashley sites & the front site seemed to turn sidewase as I loked at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.