Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reloading for a friend and he wanted me to do some loads like the one in an article he read. He has a Prediter 7mm wsm and the article he read said the most accurate round was 175g matchking on top of 61g h4831. In my load books the max load for that combination is 57.5g. In the Dan Newberry's Optimum Charge Weight article it says to test max load 2% above the published max load. I know the signs of max load, which is a hard lifting bolt and/or flat primers. I have 2 articles that tell me to exceed max load. What would you do?

thanks.......johninfresno

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would

invite your friend over and let him load them himself. I would not casually load over max for anyone. Fact of the matter is, I don't load for anyone but me. I will allow people to use my equipment, under my supervision, to load for themselves. If you will check, it is illegal to load for anyone but yourself.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Trust in article.

Never trust an article. I even approach documented Maximums with caution as well. In the past I have used an article as reference only. In one instance I was able to reach the velocity claimed with no signs of pressure. In many instances I couldn’t. A high amount of risk isn’t worth it for in most cases very little extra velocity. If you really need to make those 7MM bullets go faster move on up to say a 7 STW or 7 RUM etc. Oh I load for no one and let them take my loads off and shoot them. I do the development and I shoot them. It would be legally very imprudent to give anyone any loads over a documented MAX in a well known manual. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice.......

I didn't know it was illegal to load for anyone else but myself and I certainly don't want to be sued. Your advice didn't fall on deaf ears and I will offer my equipment and supervision for the person to load his own. I'm glad I have you guys to talk to.

thanks again....... johninfresno

·
Registered
240 Posts
and if he does come over n do it John,and insists on the over max loads, have him load 2 ea, one gr or .5 at a time, in the over max loads and then try em out. This way he doesnt load a whole bunch and then want you to pull the bullets for him when they are too hot. Make sure he wears glasses when he shoots em. And/or just have him stand and keep the gun on the bench or at the hip when he fires them.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Like others have already said John, be REAL careful about this.

Even if your friend has the same rifle as the author used in his article........he does NOT have that exact same rifle!!!!!

Your friends most accurate load could come anywhere in the "working-up" process. Never assume anything written in any book or article will work, and just load-em up on faith!

You can bet the guy who wrote that article started low, and worked up. So should you.

take care John!:) :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
OK...Maybe I'm missing something here....

But other then accuracy, why is he wanting to shoot a 175 grainer?

Not having delved into the WSM's except for a 300WSM I had last year, am I wrong in assuming that there are other, lighter bullets that could fly from that rifle that are even more accurate?

I have found that my 7mm-08 can be extremely accurate with bullets ranging from 115 grain Speer Hollow Points to 150 grain Ballastic Tips without any signs of pressure, nor stress to the shoulder joint.

Granted the 7mm-08 is not the 7mmWSM, but the bullets are the same.

Or maybe this is not a bullet placement issue.

OK...time to get back on my head, coffee break is over.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you won`t load for him DO NOT LET HIM LOAD ON YOUR EQUIPMENT. I let a, I thought friend, load on my equipment and he did something stupid while I was out of the room. He suied me and my insurance company setteled. Don`t let someone that has never loaded use your equipment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.