Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
23° here in Upstate NY this morning under clear starry skies, the high today will be up to 35° with a 3 to 5 mph breeze. We have a 40% chance for a wintry mix all day long, possibly of sleet/rain.

Yesterday my wife and I went out and looked at different things and sights since we hadn't done that in quite a while. In the afternoon I had to field some computer calls and today will see me on the road for this morning anyhow.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's cloudy and 32. That's the day.
Yesterday was tasks at home and the afternoon at Galen's, 3 hours of exhausting work. We ate dinner at the nice Mexican place nearby.
Today seems to be more of the same. Plans are moving forward to get Galen into assisted living by the end of the week. His son has stopped obstruction and began coordinating with his family.
Hope everyone has a great Tuesday,
Ken

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Mornin boys...
39 and rain here high on RUGER Mt this morning. Been raining most of the nite.
Not sure what the weather guessers are say'in for today. Joints was bad yesterday so I figured we get wet stuff. Not sure what I'll get into today. Tore windows out yesterday.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 59º and cloudy here headed for the upper 60's with a light North wind. They keep moving the forecast for rain and now it looks like tonight and tomorrow.

I changed my Giraud trimmer over to 223 yesterday and started trimming brass. My running buddy called and I met him at the brewery for lunch. Then back home for more brass work.

I think my running buddy wants to go ahead and move his tractor and equipment from my Son's place bach to where he lives. So I'll probably be on a tractor after while pullng either a big disc or cultivator on the highway. Its close to 40 miles. Fun fun ..............

Prayers for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning folks,

With thick low clouds we are enjoying 41.5° this morning here near HalfwayUSA. 44° is our expected high by later this afternoon.

Errands were run first thing in the morning yesterday. By 11am I was up on the roof. I thought I'd better double check to see it the chimney was clear. It was not. :confused: Usually the top four feet gets creosote but this time, about 16 feet down, there was a jam up. I ended up tying a 40oz hammer to a rope & bouncing it into the clog so it would break loose. First time in 10 years there has been a build up that low in the chimney. It's clean & clean now. A good hot fire will burn out the left overs.

Corey set about building the new adapter box first thing yesterday morning. Having a plasma cutting table & computer to do the layout sure make life easy for a skilled welder/fabricator. By 1pm he has the pieces tacked welded together. Before finishing he suggested we try it on for size to make sure it fits proper. He will over this evening to go eyes on for himself to see if there is away to improve the design. It sure is great being friends with capable & resourceful people.

:cautious: Because of other obligations...Deb & I won't be able to get away for a few days this month. Perhaps in Mid February we can load up the truck camper & head south for a few days.

An errand to do today. I think I will be dropping off a couple items from old hunting partner's estate.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
@lightman

I changed my Giraud trimmer over to 223 yesterday and started trimming brass.
I have a Giraud as well. To make switching quicker & easier, I suggest you use Hornady locking rings on the shell holders.
For me, change over only takes a couple minutes as the depth is already set when the ring is locked in. Having a couple extra cutter holders makes the change over even quicker. I keep three, .224, .243 & .30 calibers.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-044606-Sure-Loc-Lock-Ring/dp/B001OPTMU4

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 20 with a high or 40...maybe. Calling for wind and chance of snow, sure could use the moisture.
Yesterday got busy, early. Gwyn ordered a couple loads of road base for our road and parking area. And I got the job of spreading 50 ton around.
The yard came out fair the road still needs more work to get the humps and bumps moved around.
And that's about all I got done yesterday.
Gwyns' back is really out of whack the last couple days, so a prayer for her would be nice. She has to be back to work today, and not moving
very fast. Thanks.
Better go help her get breakfast on the table. Have a good day and prayers for those with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning varmints! It's 34 with light rain, glad it's not a few degrees colder, or we'd be iced up. It'll be 47 later as things warm up. Hard to believe January is half over already. But there's a lot of winter left, I'm afraid. Deer season is all but over. MD archery is still in until the end of the month, but I believe I've had my fill of sitting in the cold. Work is getting busy, designs and plans for construction this summer are under way, and we're a little late this year already. It never ends.

Well I better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

· Registered
10,596 Posts
Good morning all. It's 50 in Indy heading for no more with no rain. I'm heading nowhere myself this morning. Something I ate yesterday vehemently and violently disagreed with me last evening. Haven't had an episode like that for many moons! Anyway, I ain't going anywhere until I'm sure I can safely get out of sight of bathroom. Might spend some time communing with Dillon Precision equipment. There's pistol brass needing bullets. I'm doing enough 9 and 45 nowadays that I'm not sure I remember how to load the p doggin' ammo.

Speaking of the furry little critters, I emailed our regular SD p dog breeder and asked her to pencil us in on the calendar and let us know what the population looks like when they can get to it. I'm leaning more toward smaller calibers all the time and just added another .204 to the battery. There's also probably going to be another .17 HMR on the trip this year, too. I've never whacked a prairie dog with a lever gun and I acquired a Henry .17 a coupla' weeks ago. If it shoots like all the other HMRs I've had, it will make the trip. All that said, there will be a Savage .224V along for the ride also. As a registered member of the 97 yard club, I feel it's right that each gun should have a kill at that distance. The Valkyrie is capable, I think.

Prayers all around. Keep those classified documents under your hat and have a good day.

· Registered
538 Posts
Late check in for me today. My wife tells me it's 25 out there. I got up at 5:30 when the cats started getting restless so my wife could stay in bed. Got them taken care of and the fire rolled around and promptly lay down on the couch and corked off for another 45 minutes! Had my shower and breakfast and now I'm ready for another day of doing not too much. I will go in and spend some phone time on some projects but that's about the extent of my ambition level so far today.
I did go to the hockey game at the local prep school yesterday afternoon; first time since the covid crap in late winter of 2020. They play some excellent hockey at this level and I REALLY enjoy watching them play. Some of the other schools in the league have the sons of NHL'ers honing their skills and that is some good stuff.
I'll travel up to about 45 minutes to the different schools to catch the games.
Hope you all have a good one.
Ken

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Great Tuesday morning, GoGo. At 0852 it's 54 in Louisville, going to 60 and sunny. Should be a real nice day.

I think today's the day to get out in the garage, dig out the drill press and punch the holes so I can stitch up the ax sheath I'm working on. Skruske says he and Deb may go south in mid-February, so that gives me a target to shoot for. Maybe get me a little more motivated.

The other thing I may try today is cutting some walnut blocks (claro, maybe) into 3/8" slices for knife scales. The problem is that I don't own a table saw, so I have to jerry rig my miter saw to do the job. Put me on your prayer list as there are at least a dozen ways for a novice user to get hurt with that saw.

Work is getting busy, designs and plans for construction this summer are under way, and we're a little late this year already. It never ends.
Charlie, I'm glad "It never ends" and you should be, too. Lots of work means you get to keep trying to fill that hole in the water you call a boat. And it keeps you paying in to Social Security. I thank you. :)

Y'all have a great day, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends who need them. Special prayers for Dean's wife, Gwen.

UPDATE:
Here's what the walnut blocks looked like as bought from Woodcraft. Pretty rough cut and not exactly square. I crossed my fingers when I bought five of the blocks.
Blue Wood Rectangle Brick Ingredient

Here's what I found when I sliced 'em today. These aren't sanded, just splashed with alcohol to show the grain and color as it should look when finished.
Brown Wood Amber Orange Rectangle

Brown Wood Rectangle Art Tints and shades

Wood Artifact Electric blue Geology Pattern

Brown Amber Wood Textile Rectangle

Food Ingredient Cuisine Wood Dish

· Registered
382 Posts
Morning all, 52 headed to 60 or so they say. Up and at it early today, got to blast off for Lexington in a few minutes, doc appts and such including heading to a couple or three gun shops and a reloading shop, just to peruse the goods on hand.. Nice roadtrip with my sweetheart no matter what happens, hopefully. You all have a good one, remember those on her sick and in pain in our prayers, Buff out.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Morning all. Finally we get a sunny day, and it sure feels good. 47F now, and no rain forecast until late Wednesday. Only plans for the day are to make a run to the post office and maybe get gas for the car. Still have a nice piece of carrot cake to have with lunch. Be safe and keep warm.

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
KF, You can send those flats up to me and I’ll run them through the band saw. If you cut the tips of a few fingers off, don’t send them here for repair. We saw the sun for a time yesterday and that was nice. We’re back to cloudy after having a smattering of rain overnight. I have to send a die to Australia. The cost of a small flat rate box will floor you, $42.00 for postage. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Did Doug ever figure out where that bushing goes?

· Registered
3,646 Posts
51 with fog @ 6:00 this morning, currently 63 with sun on the way a little higher. 20 degrees higher than the average January day that is usually dark and cloudy. I love climate change. I've been out this morning and finished the route for the week. Also, got a very good order by email. So, I'll be packing and sacking this afternoon. Bought an LED shop light for my reloading room yesterday and it was half the price with twice the light as my old florescent. Will be getting a few more. Francis, an 11 lb package to Spain by FedEx is $140. USPS is higher and the customs folks f**k with it. Still cheaper than a personal delivery.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
F**K Brandon!!!

· Administrator
1,997 Posts
Good morning (in MO. it is still AM), 48° and on the way to mid 50's later, so say the weather guessers. Not much happening or going to happen around here today. It is slick on the top of the dirt where it has frozen and thawed. Now I am looking forward to lunch.

Prayers for all in need and desire such. God bless all on the board.

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Rick, No matter what; it’s the price of doing business. We don’t like it but that’s the way it goes today. My package weighs 1 pound 4 ounces. I don’t know; maybe a personal delivery, complete with vacation plans isn’t a bad idea. I’ve never been to Spain. I like Spanish cuisine. I do know the air flight from Australia is a long one, a bit longer than an Army bus ride to Louisiana. Oh, and the mail service from here to Toronto is sad at best. It cost me $19.65 to send a registered letter there and it took six days, which is still about $3.60 per day. Our USPS announced yesterday the price of our first class mail is going up. What would it cost if they were more efficient?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts