Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
27° here in Upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, the high temperature will be up to about 33° today. It will be a cloudy day with an 8 to13mph wind.

Yesterday we were on the lower end of snow totals, about 5" here all together. It was a heavy wet snow but my snow blower went thru it well, so it wasn't too bad. Today I have to be on the road and tomorrow we have another storm coming in. Winter has arrived.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Mornin boys...
23 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
It snowed here yesterday but only stuck high on the Mt. Not sure what they are giving for today. The guy that works with Sis is doing a lot better, said he was talking good and was back to normal as far as they could tell. They did keep him overnight. Thanks for all the prayers. Not sure what I'll be into today, worked off a ladder all.day yesterday changing light bulbs, some to LED's and some just bulbs. Got several more to go at the 1 school. It would have been so much easier if they had ordered the right bulbs. Have to change sockets on most of'em now and we are out of sockets..."the ends that hold'em"...You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Morning gang, it's 29* here and looks like some sunshine today. After the Dr visit yesterday looks like some surgery in the near future, I've got two more Dr appointments this week, I think I'll be done with Dr's this week. I guess that's about it from here for now, have a good one today. God Bless,

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's clear and 13, high about 28.
Doctor appointment this morning in town. Pre op for my wife. Errands to run including going to Galen's and showing a piece of furniture the kids listed on Facebook.
Today is her daughter's birthday, not sure what to do about that. She won't eat out, doesn't like keepsakes.
Shooting went much better yesterday, my partner was home, not feeling well. We concentrated on Shooting and not socializing. I fired two sets of targets and that darn near did me in. Getting into position and holding it for 20 rounds, four times made a lot of body parts hurt. None of us are young.
Hope everyone has a great Tuesday,
Ken

· Registered
538 Posts
25 here with about 3" of heavy snow from yesterday still on the ground. I was able to push it off the back porch (no lifting involved) but couldn't clear the front walk. Have to ask for help on that. I did try but immediately felt it and decided it wasn't worth the chance. Got more coming tomorrow but then changing to rain so maybe I won't need to shovel that mess.
Dr. appointment went well; he is pleased with my recover so far. Explained what my swelling was and it is normal based on where he was working and what he had to pull back up through the hole in my gut. Time to lose some weight again, hint hint. He also said I wouldn't need to see him again provided I continued to be smart about not pushing things too hard. We talked about timing and slowly increasing the physical activity and I'm pretty clear on what I can expect as we move forward.
Today I'll be in the shop for a while handling some office work and getting more info on an upcoming project or 2.
Stove is pushing out the BTU's, cats are lounging in front as usual and I'm going to get some breakfast.
Hope you all have a good day!
Ken

Reactions: lightman

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 3 above with only high 20s today, cold wind all day yesterday and cloudy, but no snow here, maybe some on the mountains.
Worked in the shop all morning, got a new line made for the air compressor so now it's up and running again. We really need a new one, this one
has been on its last leg for several years, noisey and slow.
Didn't do much else yesterday except the normal chores around the farm. Didn't even see any coyotes out in the cold wind. Maybe today.
Time to move along, have a good day, stay safe and warm. Prayers for those with issues. And our country.
Still no news on the car from the insurance company.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning folks,

Our sky is mostly clear and our temperature is holding at 26.9° here near HalfwayUSA. 38° for a high later & that is welcome but abnormal for late January at this latitude.

I got a call from Probate court yesterday morning. Seems since the visit on Friday where I was given instructions on how to proceed with the sale of old hunting partner's house that things have changed. NOW I have to, for the third time, ask the heirs to approve the sale and waive a hearing about the sale. Just another hoop to navigate. It's easy enough to print a form or attach a digital document for most of us and 6 out of the 8 heirs are willingly and promptly cooperative. The delay occurs when the trailer trash criminal part of the equation (they can't do math) do not have access to a printer. They aren't intelligent enough to go to the library and ask for help to print an attached digital form. Rather create drama than cooperate. I will not burden you all with the rest of this rant. I suppose it does give you some 'read between the lines' insight as to why I am executor and not a family member.

Deb & I ran some errands. That second hand store produced no second hand results. The trip to Tractor Supply will keep the welfare recipients in the yard well fed for another month.

Barn clean up today is on the agenda. Firewood needs to be displaced & replaced. I may also do something unimportant.

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 33 here and headed to 45 later, mild indeed. Got a pretty red sky this morning, but you know what that means. Winter returns tomorrow, calling for 2-4 inches of it here. George is gonna get it good it seems. Worked late last night, trying to re-build comp time and get shit done. It's our busy season getting ready for summer construction. When I got home, I messed with the new 300 BO upper. Put a rail attachment on and mounted my red light. Damn rail is a bit out of spec, or my mount. It's a picatiny to picatiny mount and it just slid right off when tightened all the way. A little filing on the mount got it fixed. I need to get to the range (or walk out back) to test fire a few factory rounds and my handloaded Hoosier bullets one of these days. Had planned on tomorrow, not likely, although the fresh snow would make it easy to find brass. Just look for the melted holes. Dindonuffin last night after dinner. Watched TV and nursed my sore knee. Still have no idea what I did??? New "kid" at work broke a bone in his foot running last week. I said "hell, I break shit just getting outta bed sometimes". Sad but true.

Well, I guess I better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

· Registered
2,924 Posts
28° here at work and the pretty little weather lady makes it sound like all the snow in the world is going to fall on us tomorrow. Scott, your probate adventures make me even more thankful for being surrounded by responsible people all my life. My mother is no computer whiz but she knows enough to know what she is capable of and she knows who and when to call when she needs help.
Impressive cleanup on the cast iron skillet, by the way. It’s ready to make some cornbread now. Which reminds me….Marty baked a ham last weekend so we should be having some beans soon.
Only doing 8 hours here at work today. Errands will be run and firewood will be stacked later this evening.
Make it a good day for someone.

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I need to call Judy Brown. Jan has quilting questions. We went and bought a bunch of material and it just depends on how you cut it to get a desired look. Judy Brown is building a quilt that Jan likes the look of.
The sun is shining but looks can be deceiving. The weather prognosticators, who we seldom trust, are calling for snowmageddon tonight and tomorrow. A call to JR or JB is in order some time today?

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 33º and Sunny here headed for the low 40's with a light East wind. Rain is forecast to move in about noon and remain through the night.

Yesterdays trim to Memphis was pretty much uneventful. Traffic was light on the way over and flowed well. Was much worse on the way home. The Doc changed the Wife's anti-rejection meds and hopefully She can tolerate this one. We stopped at our favorite BBQ joint for a late lunch and a stop at the local Tractor Supply on the way home for a bag of Sunflower seeds finished out the day.

Not much planned for the day. We'll pick the Granddaughter up after school and take Her to gymnastics. I think the Wife is planning Chile for our supper. She makes it with ground Deer.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Good morning everyone. 31° here at the house outside and it's 70° here on the couch where I'm currently laid up sick. I have a doc appointment later and have to call when I get there. They come out and give a covid test then if negative they'll call me back and then I'm allowed to leave my car and go inside. :rolleyes:
I think it's a sinus infection and now it's moving into my chest some. Hopefully it won't turn into bronchitis.
Guess we're supposed to get some snow overnight and into Wed morning. If I feel up to it I might gonsit in the feed lot or somewhere I can see the coyote the farmer says he sees in the mornings. I'll just sit in the warm truck and wait a little while.

I might get up enough energy to go to the garage and tinker for a few once I turn the heat on.

Hope everyone has a good day.

· Registered
382 Posts
Mid day check in, 39 heading to 51 today. Putting scopes on 2 rifles and zeroing 3, all for the same guy, glass bedding, floating barrels, and going thru the triggers to give them all #3, crisp triggers. Two Savages, and one Mossberg. Got in another bucket of bluing salts, got around 8 to do, half of them my own. I finished a crappy paint job on a Savage 110 300 Win mag I bought back off of a buddy, sold it to him 10 or 12 years ago. It has a factory heavy sporter barrel with brake on it and always shot well. The rifle might have 200 rounds thru it. His brother had duracoated the rifle and stock OD green. The metal was in great shape but the stock looked like crap. I sanded the stock off and did some pine needle camo patterns, and a off color sponge/flectar pattern. Looks ok, but nothing to get excited about. I had steel bedded the stock when I had it the last time. I put it back together, cleaned the barrel, and loaded 60 rounds of new brass i had with 180 gr Sierra BTSP Game king with 73 grs of H4831. It was still zeroed, 2" high at 100 yds. I shot a 5 shot group with the first 4 making a tight 4 leaf clover, and the 5th round wadding in between 2 of the other shots. A dime nearly covered them all, it was sub 1/2 MOA group. For a hunting gun that has been bedded and just the trigger tweaked, I think this is great accuracy. I looked at some targets I shot 13 years ago l it shooting 3 shot groups at 100 and 200 yds, shooting 1/2" and 1" at these distances. Scope is a Burris Signature posi lock 4x16x44. Never saw a 300WM that did not like this load. Well got to get going, you all have a great day, remember the sick and everyone else in need of prayers, Buff out.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Morning all. Started out at 30F this morning and now it is up to 34F. Tonight and tomorrow we are predicted to get 5-8 inches of snow. Ugh. Supposed to go to my oncologist and do bloodwork tomorrow, but I just called and cancelled it. The office visit entails 70 miles of urban interstate, some road construction and crazy traffic going 20mph over the limit and weaving between cars. Add that to 5-8 inches of snow and I don't feel up to the challenge. Made out billed this morning and need to get them to USPS before the storms come. Make that trip, lunch, my PT and that will be nap time. Be safe and keep warm.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Good mid-afternoon, GoGo. At 1600 it's 46 fairly pleasant degrees in Louisiville and might go up 1 or 2 more. Had a little sun today, which was welcome. We're due for precip here, too, but as of right now it should all be rain. Weather guessers appear to all be cocked and locked.

Well, today's the big reveal (as they say) of Kruske's ax sheath. It was my first attempt at anything quite like this, so I had to feel along like a blind man. That's my excuse, anyway, for why it took so long. Here are a few photos.
Chair Wood Luggage and bags Headgear Flooring
Brown Wood Rectangle Gas Wood stain

Brown Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Wood

Wood Amber Tints and shades Rectangle Pattern

Numerous flaws, but I sure learned a lot and appreciate Scott letting me give it a try. In case anyone else needs to know, you absolutely can't make a sheath like this or one for a belt knife without physically having the item itself. Scott didn't want any kind of strap or a way to attach this to a belt, but those would be fairly easy to add if he changes his mind. For the record, no angle grinder was used in the making of this sheath. Ha!

Sounds like some of the medical news reported was good and some maybe not so great. Regardless, it's important that we pray for one another and for our families. Hope y'all are having a good day and that you're being safe.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Well it looks good from here. I am betting that Scott’s not gonna let it be a wall hanger. And if so, it won’t be long before it’s gonna have some patina which is a plus.

Reactions: lightman

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Good Evening everyone,
Upper 70's this afternoon little breezy. Had phone problems this morning. Rebooted , set back to factory specs no change then it just started working again this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm leaving Verizon and will be getting Wifi down here I've had enough.
This afternoon I ve been playing with a new Neck Turner. I picked this up over on AS Dean and I have done a bit of trading I last traded him a single shot Sako ppc and a Smith & Wesson 41 for a Borden , Leonard 6BRA . I believe I'm going to like this Blueberry micro Neck Turner . My K&M Turner is retired I found the original invoice shipping was 3.00 a while back.
Cylinder Drinkware Gas Electric blue Machine
Mike very nice.(y)

Everyone have a great evening.
HHH

1 - 20 of 30 Posts