Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57° here in Upstate NY this morning, the skies are overcast and we have fog. We had some showers overnight after having light rain all day yesterday. Today will be up to about 66° for a high temperature with partly cloudy skies and a light wind.

Yesterday I got my paper work caught up finally and other than I worked here at home. We had light rain most of the day so I didn't miss out on going hunting. Today I will have to be on the road for at least half the day.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 54, some clouds and 74 later.
Yesterday was some good shooting and mostly swapping tall tales. In between the stories I managed to finish zeroing the sights on the 1919 Savage. It is a great rifle to shoot and durn accurate only if I can master the iron sights.
Today is house cleaning, there's several loads of things going to the donation store. I just have too much stuff.
Computer is still backing up files, trying to undo the Onedrive mess. 10,000 files left,
I hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Great morning everyone,

50° with a mostly clear sky on the edge of Paradise.

Really. We camped for free 6 miles west of the little town of Paradise Michigan. It along the Lake Superior shore in the Tahquamenon State Forest.

Fall colors peak this week & so far we’ve enjoyed the views.

Weather today should be spectacular & a hike into the Tahquamenon Falls will be great.

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
Mornin boys...
Mid 60s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Nother day at the grind.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 55 going to 79 with dense fog now. Made a grub run last morning , hope to mow later today. Same boring domestic work around here but thankful for another day. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 64º and clear here with a sky full of stars headed for the low 80's.

I had an MRI yesterday and the teck had to stick me twice to get an IV started. They hardly ever have trouble but my arm is discolored this morning. They scan my head and neck for 15 minutes or so and then inject some dye and scan me again. After we left the clinic the Wife and I stopped at Outback for a late lunch.

I guess we're headed to the Doc's place today to mow levees, hopefully for the last time this year.

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
morning all. 37 with possible 70 today, it got to around 73 yesterday. Nice fall day for sure!
Got parts to fix oil leak on one loader, had it going again before lunch. Then the boss man called with problems (always).
The tail gate on the dump truck wouldn't open, air operated, We got it open and dumped but I didn't get it working yet.
Maybe today if other things don't get in the way.
No baling yesterday, also maybe today. But all the bales are in the stack after yesterday.
Got a free rifle yesterday, it's really rough, will have to go thru it and see if it's worth finding the missing parts for it. Jap army rifle
but not sure of model or caliber yet.
Better get around, prayers for those with needs. Have a great day.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Good morning fellers. It’s 63 in Indy heading for 76 with rain later on. My 11 yr old granddaughter stopped by on the way to dance class yesterday to meet Trey. She decided the leaves in the front yard needed raked so she did. Gonna need her back shortly. Next time I’ll teach her how to use the leaf vac.

Golfing this morning. Hope we finish before it rains. I’m waterproof but……

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
One of our grand daughters is camping at Paradise as I speak, Scott. You and she have had better weather than we have been getting. Our leaves are wet and I could use your grand daughter, Doug. Does she charge?

·
Administrator
12,745 Posts
Good morning varmints! It's a foggy 64 headed to mid 70's. We must have had some rain overnight. It was lightning in the distance when I went to bed. Good chance for more rain thru the weekend. We sure could use it. I had a fantastic night in the tree stand and didn't kill a thing...besides mosquitos. After looking at my trail cam pics and where they were taken, I had an idea where the bucks were bedding and traveling. I figured they were up on the hill in the thicket and coming down and eating the acorns in the woods next to the field before dark. I was right. I had 2 bucks come in to me about 6pm, a small 7 and a decent forky. They were around me for 45 minutes, right under my tree.

The 7 was really interested in my chew spit at the base of the tree. LOL I pulled a Clint Eastwood and spat right on him.
Plant Organism Wood Grass Terrestrial plant

The forky was full of pi$$ and vinegar...decided to rub right below me, less than 10 feet from my tree.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Vehicle

Plant community Plant Ecoregion Bedrock Tree

They finally sensed something was wrong and moved off. About a half hour later I caught movement about 80 yards away, but too thick and getting dark. Couldn't tell what it was. Then, right before dark, I see another buck coming in, followed by another. Both bucks go to the same tree the other bucks were at and start feeding. Then the one buck, the big six on my cam photo, came in to 10 feet and stood under me for 10 minutes.

Atmosphere Branch Twig Organism Grass

As tempting as it was, I let him pass. It would be great if Lillie, Mom or Mike get him. You could see he was a 2.5 year old deer, much bigger bodied than the previous two, but I'm looking for his daddy. I didn't get any pics because it was getting dark and I had my bow in my hand at that point. As the two moved off, I never really got much of a glimpse of the 2nd deer he was with, but I could tell it was a high, narrow buck. Nice deer, still not a shooter. I don't think I had any cam pics of him yet. I haven't hunted that spot in 35 years and I've never bow hunted there. What are the chances I walk in blind and pick a tree that's within 30 yards of that one tree that is drawing in the deer???

Pancake Doug, I'll be in contact about directions around Indy. Headed past you on the 25th!

Well, I guess I should get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
96 Posts
50 at the moment headed to 75.
A fall prairie dog hunt is not like a spring/summer one for sure. No great numbers and very skittish, imagine that. Suppressed is the new secret weapon, at least for me and my buddy. Bullet impact spooks them very little.
Had his 223 suppressed and mine with out. We had been shooting for a couple of hours with his rifle with little to no sign of it slowing down. 2-5 rounds out of mine and all available “participants” seemed to vanish. We took a well needed break. 20-30 minutes a few came out but very spooky.
We started in suppressed again. This went on for another hour or so. Things went back to what they started out at. Mirage was killing our eyes and causing issues and we decided to change spots. I fired on round from my rifle and that caused a stampede. Not even any barking.
I won’t say this town was easy as closest shots started at 200, furthest we could get a good reading with range finder on a yucca was 550 + or - some. That is a fair step for a 223.
Got a few pics, no blood and gore as everyone has seen that before.
Third time I had been this year and it has rained every time. Folks are looking forward to my next trip and come more often was also said, lol.
Built the 22BR specifically for the purpose. I had did some load work with it and the 17FB. Well during cleaning the bolts between the two got switched. So I had a .378 bolt in a .473 chambering, doesn’t work well.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 63 in Louisville, going to 81. Rain coming in tonight and tomorrow. Gonna be hot toward the end of the week.

I have a Medicare agent coming to the house in about 30 minutes, so I'll make this note short and then maybe come back and edit/add. As I scanned through just now, I did see several deer pix, so I'm sure I'll have some snarky comment to make about archers who apparently love eating horns. :D I'm just jealous, of course.

Got a little more knife work done yesterday. Need to do a glue-up today, then some final sanding and shaping. Might get the first coat of oil rubbed on by tonight.

In the meantime, today, I have 7# of Canadian Bacon to smoke. It's been soaking up the cure for 7-8 days and should be ready to smoke. I was telling y'all about loin prices around here being as high as $3.50 a pound. But Miss Cindy checked at Kroger a little over a week ago and they were down to $2 or $2.25, so I had her grab one.

Y'all have a great day, be safe out there, and lift up prayers for those in need here, in your families, and across our land.

·
Administrator
12,745 Posts
Mike, I have plenty of deer meat in the freezer from 1-3 years ago or maybe more even. Not going hungry by passing these young bucks, besides the fact that it was 75º out, no time to process them, nowhere to cool them down. It just doesn't make sense to whack one right now. Being only the 2nd day of the season, there's a lot of time left, and cooler weather ahead. I had as much fun as I've ever had last night and didn't even draw an arrow. I had a plan and executed it perfectly. That's the important thing. Just need a big one to show up.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
GM from the sticks of Kentucky where it is cloudy and about 63°
Charlie had some nice photos today, I have been seeing the same 3 deer every evening at Otis's house. Nothing special. I got my Greenie JD back from the schoolteacher neighbor yesterday and had a full day of changing oil in everything but Greenie and i have 2 oil filters on the way for that one. I had bought a nice oil drain pan for $3 at the 127 Yard sale and it really was useful.

Water Automotive tire Plant Manhole cover Grass

Sledgehammer Rick called and wants to go look at some farm toys Friday afternoon for a sale Saturday. I see a lot of money changing hands.

Dean mentioned the old Jap rifle he came by. I looks like he just edged out Ken, because he would have left with it if he found it first.

Sewing machine Wood Creative arts Gas Sewing

JB has gone "Shopping" with Jackson's GF today and they will be back well after dark. So. I am on my own today.
Cats and Cows to check on and I may then fire a few rounds of some 5.56 I loaded a month ago.
Have a safe day.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Nature Plant Tree Deer Fawn

Today’s pick of the pics….Son had told me to find out where the ”red” deer was hanging out. I think I found him. He is in serious trouble if he hangs around another day or two. Hunters start coming in this afternoon. Four of Mossy Oak boys showed up late last night. They are putting out more blinds today with son. Not sure if they start hunting this afternoon or tomorrow. I’m on a need-to-know schedule….LOL
Charlie…the pics on the trail cams are nice, but not like being there like you are.
George….enjoy those bird hunting days all you can.
JSH….those “cans” make a lot of difference don’t they? I have all my PD rifles suppressed except for the 17 MK4, and it is next in line.

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Administrator
12,745 Posts
JR/Dean that's an Arisaka and probably 6.5 Jap if I had to guess (most common chambering I think). Send her to old Sam for a reblue.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Found a couple gobblers having a disagreement this morning. I drove up within 20 feet before they disengaged.

Plant Bird Plant community Working animal Tree

Bird Plant Sky Accipitridae Beak

I know. Bruce wins the Photo contest today, but I thought it was pretty odd driving within 20 feet of them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts