Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68° here in Upstate NY this morning under clear starry skies, the high temperature for today will get up to about 81°. It will be a partly sunny day with a mild wind of about 6 to 9mph with a 20% chance for some rain this evening.

I ended up being on the road all day yesterday. I did one job in the morning and then had lunch and left again for the afternoon. Today I will be on the road this afternoon, I am going to have the morning free. I am going to go up to the gun club and do a little shooting.

Prayers for all the need them, especially for those in Kentucky.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
Mornin boys...
71 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Well, guess its going to take awhile.to get used to the extra hour
of.sleep I could get...lol Ran conduit about all day yesterday. Got most.of
it run, but whats left is the fun part, 2nd floor. I think we.are.going to be covered
up with stuff we would have done in the summer but aint got to because of this AC stuff.
Can only do so much and the boss man picks what we do...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's a hot one this morning, 56 now, going to 92 with humidity to match. Weather people are saying stay hydrated and indoor air conditioning.
Good news yesterday, the rifle with the headspace issue loves Norma Tac22. It shoots them no problem. It won't ignite CCI SV , apparently the brass is harder. If I place a shim behind the bolt handle only then will it fire CCI.
Stay home today and work stuff here.
Hope everyone has a great Tuesday,
Ken

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 69 going to 85 and soupy humid. The rain predicted died at my doorstep, or Doug got most of it. Today I will copy Ken stay inside out of the soup. I will go out to vote in the special primary that some nit wit judges decided Ohio needed. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
morning all. 48 with mid 80s later, only 30% chance of something, didn't get any thing yesterday but the mountains did.
Worked around the farm yesterday, two sprinklers got worked on but the one is still stuck in the mud, will have to pull it out but
that takes two people. Yesterday was nice as I was the only one around, boss man and crew were off chasing cows up the mountain
to greener pastures.
Worked on the hay rakes some yesterday too, replaced two hyd. hoses that were leaking. Also aired up my baler tires, has been setting for
a couple weeks and they go low. Also whacked a couple p-dogs with the hornet.
Better get, prayers for those with issues, those on the road and others. Have a good and safe day.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
The rubbish is at the road. I have voted but I damned sure didn’t vote for one 67 year old re-tread who was a state rep that didn’t finish his term 20 years ago.and wants to go back for the pension. He’s running against a 28 year old six year US Navy vet. What turned me off on the old re-tread is his campaign ad. “Don’t send a boy to Lansing to do a man’s job.” That turned my crank. Anyway, the duties have been attended to.
I forgot to give the Weekend Detroit count. Forty-seven shootings- Thirty-one shot-Four dead. Their aim isn’t very good.

·
Administrator
13,553 Posts
Good morning folks. I'm still pooped from the weekend. It's 70-something, going to 90 later maybe. Too hot for me, but I'll be inside all day. Have to work at the gun shop tonight and have a Township meeting after that. Going to be a long day. I did get my mowing done last night. Grass was still pretty wet from the rain but it needed done. Moles still causing major damage. I have two traps set and poison worms in their runs. See if that helps. Well I need to get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Great morning fellow varminteers,

77° and partly cloudy a bit before sunrise out here on the rolling Montana prairie.

Hot and windy describes yesterday’s adventure in prairie dog whacking. Making hits in varying stiff winds was a challenge. Round count was up & impacts were down.

Corey resorted to putting on his directional antenna to guide his bullets to target.

Sky Cargo pants Cap Marines Air gun

Mike managed tospot a small shed antler while riding in the back of the RZR. Turns out it was a broken tip.

Sky Sunglasses Goggles Vision care Sleeve

Plant Organism Grass Groundcover Grass family

Some of the curious neighbors came by to see what all the noise was. Not spooked, inquisitive.

Sky Working animal Horse Natural landscape Grassland

We were invited over to a nearby ranch for diner last night. They wanted to share some company and thank us for helping reduce the prairie dog numbers.

All the ranchers openly expressed gratitude for us ‘coming all this way’ to shoot their nuisance critters.

After our goodbyes to the neighbors and to our host rancher we did most of our packing & sacking. It will take about 15 minutes to finish loading before heading the 10 miles east to the next paved road the south to Billings.

We should make it home later tomorrow night

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Sitting in the VA canteen having just successfully polished off egg, bacon bic n gravy. My coffee is back in the car.
Will be taking the edger in for carb work upon return to station H.
A whole tenth fell yday n a lot more 4 mi north.
Not too pleased w Norwegian Cruise Lines. At initial sign up, they said a coordinator would be assigned to us for questions, suggestions etc. It didn't happen. On top of that, we tried to postpone till next summer as a church couple were game for next year.
NCL has full payment in pocket, we are supplying another paid couple, 5 weeks notice and they were wanting to penalize major $$?! Smart biz practice, eh. Last time they get me on board. They be taking lessons from Amtrack? KMART? Remington? OK no more grumping.
Bruce, did the boys go back out to feed the buzzards?
Ken, thicker rims on the TAC? That seems like it would be a lot but I've never measured any rf.....and have no idea.
Tom out

Reactions: Bruce Eakins

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 77º and cloudy here in Gulf Shores Alabama and only headed for the low 80's with T'storms forecast for all week. Go figure..................

Yesterdays trip was mostly uneventful, but long. 505 miles on mostly secondary high ways. Drive anywhere from 3 miles to 80, take a turn and do it again. And again and again! Those of you that have drove in Mississippi and Alabama understand. We made good time, leaving our neighborhood at 5:20 and arriving about 2:30. The Wife was really going through oxygen, we stopped several times to change out bottles but getting out and stretching was probably a good thing.

Todays plan is .............? It depends on the weather. The kids and Grandkids will be wanting to hit the beach and if they do I'll sit under a canopy by the ice chest and enjoy the scenery. If not, I'll sit on the balcony at the condo and drink coffee until the sun gets over the yardarm! ;)

Some of you guys touched on gun confiscation yesterday. One of the ladies in our drinking group, don't remember if it was Monday night or Wednesday nights groups, ask some of us about gun control. She was not argumentative, she just wanted an opinion from our side. AR's eventually came up. She ask me for 2 reasons to own an AR. I told her, Ukraine and cattle cars and she ask for an explanation. I mentioned Ukraine being attacked by Russia and having to pass out weapons and that is probably caused some major delays in their defense. I was hoping that she would forget that I mentioned cattle cars but she ask about that too. I told her that her government would not be putting my family or friends on cattle cars, like the time between 1939 to 1945, as long as I had an AR and a bag full of magazines. She listened respectfully and ask intelligent questions. This is a reasonably intelligent group and the discussions were friendly.

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need. Special prayers for those who are traveling. And thanks for your prayers and well wishes for me and my family.

Well, enough rambling, Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Good morning everyone from the shores of the Chesapeake . 80 heading to 92 wif chances for a T storm or 2.
Was on the road yesterday decided yesterday morning to take the hound to a old vet that has been practicing since 1969. Locke Taylor is still practicing because of the love for animals not because he needs to . After a head to tail evaluation and reviewing 35 pages of medical records he felt comfortable with the original diagnosis and confirmed it going to take a little while to get his GI tract back in order . I believe between the food and possibly a parasite as I've noticed that he seems more like himself after starting Flagyl antibiotic.
Yesterday was a long day with only about 2 hours sleep the night before and driving to and from Richmond .
Today is a kick back day I'll work on the Purple marlin house and while talking to the vet he said to install it out on the pier off of a piling. I enjoy watching these birds fly around catching insects.
Hope everyone is doing well and thoughts and prayers for those in need which we all need them . Until we meet again
Happy Trails .
HHHA couple pictures of the Sunflower field.
Cloud Sky Plant Flower Natural landscape
Cloud Plant Sky Daytime People in nature

Attachments

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 76 in Louisville, going to 89, with some light haze. Humidity is a fairly normal 68 instead of the 98% we had yesterday morning.

Looks like we got zip out of the thunderstorms we were expecting around midnight. Another big radar blob is dropping down from the NW right now, but it's missing us to the west.

Went to a Thoroughbred Chorus rehearsal last night for the first time in probably four years. Former members were invited back to rehearse songs for the funeral service of an ex-member tonight. As others have noted here, a lot of a retiree's time is spent attending funerals.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends here who are traveling and those with health issues.
Rectangle Organism Font Circle Number

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Off to the races, just don’t know which direction yet. North to pick up wifey’s car or south with wifey to Dr’s appt.
Son and family headed to cow pastures to gather bulls and move them to their home for the winter.
They get to keep the Watusi and Longhorn company for a few months.
Still debating on the CZ 223. Got the wants but not sure about the needs.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Off to the races, just don’t know which direction yet. North to pick up wifey’s car or south with wifey to Dr’s appt.
Son and family headed to cow pastures to gather bulls and move them to their home for the winter.
They get to keep the Watusi and Longhorn company for a few months.
Still debating on the CZ 223. Got the wants but not sure about the needs.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all.
Bruce,
I've owned two or three CZ 527s over the years. One was a 17 Rem and the other two as I recall were 223s. They were all very accurate, possible the best factory rifles I've owned.

Rick

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
HHH, your Sunflowers are looking good. What do you do to them to get ready to hunt? I've mowed mine, leaving strips every 20-30 yards to hide in and I've disc them, again leaving strips for the hunters. Some guys here mow them and then burn the stubble.

Its been 2 years since I've been able to plant Sunflowers. The last 2 years just have been too wet until it was too late. Those dry ponds that I use are the first to get wet and the last to dry out.

I was crying to one of my Farmer buddies one time about worrying about my $3000 worth of seeds. He just laughed and said he was worried about his $300,000 worth of seeds! :)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
70 in the hollow at sunrise with a lower than usual humidity of 60%. That's uncommon this time of year. Yesterday was a typical Monday with a route and some orders to mail. Business is slow probably due to a recent price increase and the fact that folks aren't spending a lot on non-necessities. I'm about to go to the one hospital I still service. For the time spent it's my best account and I don't expect it to stay around for much longer as it was recently sold to a larger chain. Still have some grass to cut later today and need to contemplate what to load up to go and shoot tomorrow. I've had to admit that the barrels on all my competition rifles are pretty much worn out and I need to decide which one to rebarrel. Can't afford any, but fortunately I do have a couple of new blanks. So it's just the barrel work that will cost. BTW- does anyone have experience with a 6 groove Lilja? Sure is strange looking at one through a borescope.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Lightman, We use roundup we cut minimum sunflowers just enough to be able to get around and into the field . We leave the dryed plants for the late season.. I leased the property for a year and I make it very attractive to the land owner of the crop comes up or not he gets paid. These are a few pictures of another field and what the fields look like in January. It tough to hunt unless you have a dog .
HHH
Flower Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape
Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant community Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Good Afternoon hello to you fine folks. It is a bright, sunny hot day here with thundershowers forecasted right on out to the end of the 10 day forecast. I sure would like to be cutting HAY but I would either look like a Genius or a Fool depending on when the rain hit.
Francisco, I think you made the correct decision in the voting booth.
HHH that sunflower field is too pretty to spray or disc up. I remember seeing them somewhere out West face East in the Morning and West on the Evening. We don't have any.
@was skruske is gonna make it home just in time to take DD to the Milan Blurgrass festival this week. Judy's friend Rhonda will be there, so be sure to Meet and Greet.
@45TAJ I don't see the problem. Go Now with wifey and go Again next year with friends. Cruise lines don't like refunding money....NCL are a high class operation and very nice.

Whilest watching the news I see a video of the DidnDoNuffin go in a likker store with an AR 15 only to get Shot by an 80 yr old man with a Shotgun.
He ran back out to his buds who were in a Stolen HiDollar BMW full of Stolen Weapons.
Forehead Facial expression Human Beard Font

Looked Similar to this fella, who was just trying to give the Preacher a donation to his Church and decided to kill him instead.
Yall have a nice day and try to shoot some firearms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts