Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
49° here in Upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, the high temperature for today will be up around 61°. It will be a partly sunny day with a 30% for some showers later this afternoon and a 6 to 9mph breeze.

I was on the road yesterday morning with an appointment and then I spent the rest of the day working around here. I will be on the road this morning and then Rusty has his yearly checkup this afternoon. Our grouse and woodcock season opens this coming Saturday and that is where Rusty and I will be. for the next couple of months.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Mornin boys...
43 here high on RUGER Mt this morning
Had a good day yesterday, they got the unit
set and part.of.the gas.lines run, coming back Wed to finish. I got to smell some smoke before they got here.
Back to the old grind today...
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 44, cloudy and 61 for the high, windy also.
Yesterday was long but it ended well. Sharron's surgery went well. We arrived at as requested but waited till 1.15 for surgery to begin. Wearing a mask all day got old in a hurry.
I occupied my time with writing. It seems that I can focus better in that environment.
We stopped by Famous Daves for supper. While the food was tasty, the selection was thin. They really have cut their menu to the bone. We won't bother going back.
Today I taking pictures for yesterday's article, how to operate the Modern Bond Model C reloader.
Hope everyone has a great Tuesday,
Ken

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
morning all. 40 now with low 70s later, slight chance of moisture.
Got another little field baled yesterday after lunch and the heavy dew went off. Worked around the shop some on
one of the farm pickups then a loader. More work on the loader today, need to fix the lights on it somehow.
Won't be any hay for a day or two now, just too green and wet. Boss man won't be around today, off to move cows in the mountains.
So guess I'm the crew today! Might have to take a nap!
Got a couple more sprinklers started yesterday too. Trying to get in some fall watering, will help with crops coming back earlier next spring.
Better get, have a good and safe day. Prayers for those fighting health issues and other problems.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 54 here, headed to 70 or so, with clouds. Fall is definitely upon us, and I haven't been up any trees yet, except to hang stands. Haven't bought my MD license yet either. What's up with that? PA archery opener is this weekend. Looks like it might be a few weeks before I get to go. I'll wait until they're all rutted up this year. LOL

Well, I survived yesterday. Besides work, I had a ton of things to do. Bloodwork, bank run, another bank run, dentist, post office. It was a productive day though. I bought an 8' antenna and had to pick it up at the PO. Well the dam cardboad tube was trashed when I got it. Luckily the fiberglass antenna wasn't shattered or cracked. My dentist is a big fisherman. We got to talking (well he talked anyway) and he said he'd give me his old fish finder/GPS unit. High dollar model back in the day. I hope he actually does. See if he drops it off or not.

Well, it's Tuesday already...better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
A cloudy forty nine degree greeting this morning and that’s about it today the high predicted is fifty seven and cloudy. There is rain on the radar but I’m not sure it will come our way.
Florida is in for a pummeling from Ian. The predictions are dire for there. The politicians will be there before the winds and the water recede. Perhaps the good thing is the electric will go out and you won’t have to listen to the speeches.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good morning everyone from the shores of the Chesapeake. Haven't payed much attention to the local weather as I'm focused on the southern part of Florida for the moment . Our winter home is about a hour and 15-30 minutes south of Tampa. We have a couple of friends that are in the Tampa area one couple has left the area to a area that is not in a flood zone another couple is planning on riding it out I wish them well. My wife and his wife are good friends I can tell she is freaking out. We are pretty fortunate enough to have hurricane windows , doors and screens on our place. Hopefully things will not be as bad as projected. Today we take the deadrise up to Reedville. It would be nice if Larry figures a way to stop this spray. Other than that it's wide open as a friend says .
Everyone have a good day stay safe and comfortable enjoy your day.
HHH

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Good morning friends. It’s 43 outside the pancake joint and the crowd is beginning to show up. No golf today. I need the day off.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
45° in the sticks this morning and I did not build a Far last night since JB is not here.
Sledgehammer Rick came over and helped me remove the big window AC unit and dig up stopped up pipe for the Cow tank. Still stopped up.
@Kentucky Fisherman helped me code my new surveillance camera by txt.
The SOB swivels and watches me, so I unplugged it. Fixed.
Yesterday, I unhooked the power cables from my JD to a hay bailer I will no longer be using. 3 sets were in there to be untangled. Still no lights and I need a @was skruske for that task.
Looks like the Weather Channel people are having Orgasms over the Storm. HHH your pet Alligators will be just fine.
I need to split some more firewood...did not yday due to the Wind danger dropping a big limb or tree on my head.
Beard Vision care Eyewear Font Goggles

Heres a good song about a subject we are interested in. Maybe?
Off and on the way. May we all be safe today.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 47º and clear this morning headed for the low 80's.

After the Wife's blood draw and running errands yesterday I tinkered in the loading room. Most putting away the few things that didn't sell.

Not much planned for today. Me and my running buddy plan to meet another buddy at the brewery for lunch. The other buddy drives a truck and he's gone 4 to 6 weeks at a time. When he comes home we usually try to meet up.

HHH, I hope your place escapes any major damage. This storm sounds like a good un. I've worked a lot of the major storms over the last 40 years and their power is awesome. Just hard to comprehend until you see it.

Glad to hear Ken's Wife's surgery went well.

Prayers offered for those in need and our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's a cool 49 in Louisville, going to 69 and sunny. No rain in sight and rough on my tomatoes because when it's this cool I forget they still need water.

Ken, I'm really glad to hear Sharron's surgery went well. Thanks be to God.

Got nothing significant done yesterday except for making a big pot of chicken and wild rice soup for a couple who are close friends. The wife, Cindy's BFF, was diagnosed with some serious cancer a month or so ago and is now starting chemo. She has good days and bad, plus the treatments don't always affect her the same way. The comments some of you guys have made about your chemo treatments have helped me understand what she's going through.

I have a regular doctor checkup in a little over an hour. Some of my blood work numbers are up a little, some are down a little. She'll remind me she has recommended some drugs to help my A1C and my cholesterol. I like her and I trust her experience, so I don't dread these checkups.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and remember to pray for our friends here and for our nation.

·
Administrator
1,972 Posts
Bruce I have been watching a little of the hunting shows on TV, and last night I was watching the Sportsman channel and saw an old boy from MO. kill his first buck with a rifle. He was hunting on the Canadian River / Eakins Ranch. He had always used a bow to hunt with, but had broke out his rifle for this trip. They didn't show much of the ranch or facilities, so didn't see much of the place. It was a short segment. I don't usually watch those kind of shows, so many of them are unrealistic in that they cut out so much of the setting in a stand or blind and how boring it can get and only show a few minutes of a hunt or an obvious staged shot. I have seen where a hunter was in a stand and they show him watching and the shooting at a buck then a cut away and a then they are wearing different clothes or marveling over a totally different buck that is down. I have seen things like this and don't watch these shows much, but at the same time I must say that the shows are getting better of late. At least they aren't as obvious about splicing together film or digital content.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Mrmurl… i didn’t see it and so can’t comment on it. They have gotten better recently on their productions. When we first started working with Mossy Oak about 18 years or so ago, some of the best hunts turned out to be really bad shows. I think they are “lots” better to work with and use some of our suggestion on productions. Nearly all the camera guys ask Justin now about how he wants to “showcase“ the filming (camera angles and even stories behind the people being filmed). The quality has gotten better. Kind of like watching a 1950’s western movie and some of the better ones, like Lonesome Dove that came along later.
I will have to brag a little…Mossy Oak’s main filming guru said our lodge was the #1 pick their camera guys wanted to go every year and we get “lots” of clients every year off their recommendations.
Tysonisaac….What do you mean “we didn’t have a gun with us”. You better shape up boy.
Well, i was wrong about the Quail Forever banquet. It is Thursday night in Elk City, and not tonight at Arnett. Boy did I screw up big time. Anyway Justin and one of the twins, Joshua are both going with me. AND it’s my birthday. So how come I’m out the money for the meals and memberships.????
Think I’ll go see what I can tear up today.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Afternoon all, 68 here, sunny and breezy. Been busy as can be this morning, checked all the fluids in my tractor, checked grease in bushog, etc, took me about an hour when I got all the stuff wound up around the drive shaft cut off. Then came back to the shop, bedded a Christiansen Arms rifle in a different stock for a guy, worked on a ..22 and got that fixed, then went out and shot my crossbows some. I had traded for a Bear Saga 405 yesterday, guy had lost the crank cocker. He cocked it with a rope cocker a couple of times, and I shot it and bought it. This morning I could not get it cocked all the way, and then I figured it out, the guy was taller than me and probably a lot stronger. Of course the fact that it takes 210# to cock it dont help things. Got a crank cocker on the way, should be here by the weekend. Wife has me cutting up 4 chickens she bought on sale in a few minutes, but that takes about 1 minute per chicken, a throwback to my days as a butcher for Houchens and IGA grocery stores. Then got to bushhog off about 4 acres, then back and piddle in the shop some more. Still making progress every week or two, building muscle in my legs, and stamina overall. Am grateful for every step I take, will be the rest of my life. You all have a good one, prayers for the sick and our country, Buff out.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Good afternoon everyone, got up this morning and headed to the shop to work on the 5th wheel plate and stopped by the parts place and the king ping hadn't came in yet so I put on some of the support pieces and tacked them in place and the end plates but dont want to weld anything until I get the pin in and braced on the back side. I hooked up the trailer and went and picked up a broken bushhog and a box grader that needed some welding. Both of those are pretty much done and ready to load back up and haul back. An aluminum utility bed got dropped off as well that needs a box welded back together where a blown out tire broke it apart.

I need to do some more brass prep this week for a shoot in Ohio Saturday. Hopefully I can get something that will shoot decent.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Great day got boat loaded on trailer today hauled up to Reedville VA to Jennings boatyard. Larry Jennings builds deadrise boats for fisherman and repairs them . He is a wealth of knowledge on these types of boats . After hoping in his skiff he rode beside our deadrise once we hit about 20 knots the water started spraying. Per Larry he could see where the water was running up the stem and said it was very common on these smaller boats . He felt that he could correct the issue . I asked him to also install a drain plug this boat didn't have one . He lifted the boat out of the water with the travel lift the blue machine it has 2 huge 2 point slings and told me it should be ready the end of the week . He planned on getting on it in the afternoons.
Water Sky Tree Lake Body of water
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Body of water

1 - 18 of 18 Posts