Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
52° here in Upstate NY under mostly clear skies this morning and some fog. The high temperature for today will be getting up to about 74° and it will be a mostly sunny day with a mild wind.

Yesterday was a quiet peaceful day, I went up to the gun club for a little while in the morning and then took the rest of the day just loafing. Today I will have to be on the road all day having appointments both this morning and afternoon.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good morning 62 going to mid 80's with possible rain tonight. I'm done with tomatoes for a while, getting tired of them anyway. Need to get out and buy a new frig before the 27 year old one goes kaplunk!! Be safe Prayers to all and those needing special Prayers and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 70 with a bit of rain just north of us, high of 72.
Back to work today, I think Caribou coffee shop is in order.
Yesterday I took the Savage FV out for some disappointing shooting. I couldn't get it to group.
Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend and the week ahead,
Ken

·
Registered
13,433 Posts
Mornin boys...
57 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Back to the old grind today.
Me and Tucker got 6 more squirrels yesterday evening.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Good morning all. It’s 65 in Indy heading for the low 80s. Had a fun day at the range with the Coastie grandson yesterday. He’d not shot a steel challenge course before. I suspect he’ll want to do it again. He took a 1911 and a flame-thrower 10.5” AR pistol. LOUD doesn’t really describe that thing. I had 40 rds of 60 gr 224V ammo left over so I ran it through my AR with mediocre results. I’ve had several ARs and haven’t had much success with any of them.

Got a 1 hour drive to the golf course and need to be there by 9:30. Better get moving. Have a good day.

Reactions: Bruce Eakins

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
morning all. 38 with mid 80s today and could be smoky, no moisture in sight.
Pretty much a labor day yesterday, serviced up the baler and baled one field, then started a sprinkler, had lunch
then went and helped the boss man finish up baling a big field of oat hay (see the Labor Day post for a pic).
Have a dentist appt. in town first thing this morning, and have to go by the New Holland store for some filters while in town.
Probably no baling today, boss man has a meeting and I'll be in town. Not sure what else well happen today yet.
Have a good day, be safe and prayers for those with health issues and others.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 64 in Louisville, going to a pretty warm 86 today before cooling off a bit Wed-Fri.

I have today off as a vacation day. I'm at the use-it-or-lose-it stage, so I'm gonna use it.

Had a nice weekend trip to Paducah and was able to see my sainted mother in her nursing facility. They were shut down with a COVID scare for a few days last week, but they got their testing done and I got to see Mom on Sunday.

Conditions were perfect for pond fishing on Friday, cloudy and upper 70s. My brother and I fished almost two hours with plastic worms and shallow-running crankbaits. Bro caught two about 1 1/4 pounds apiece and I got skunked. That's all the fishing I got in.

Cindy and I went to a nice arts and crafts fair on Saturday. There were 3-4 guys there selling knives, sheaths and leatherwork. Also several booths with various kinds of woodcraft. Prices were 1/3 of what we see stuff selling for here around Louisville. We got a large laminated serving/cutting board for $45, I think it was. Really pretty, with white locust, Purple Heart and cherry, I think.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our GoGo friends and others who need them.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Great morning folks,

Clear sky, 50° as the sun rises, 73° by mid day but a likely rain shower will visit us this afternoon here near HalfwayUSA.

Debra Dearest & I kept busy working on both truck campers. When she was detail cleaning the old one, I was working on the new. We'd switch & keep at it. Forgot to eat lunch and didn't have dinner until 7:15pm. It was then we realized we had to get to the grocery store.

That trip cost a bit more than usual. We stocked up & managed to fill the cupboards with lots of items that were on sale. Other than week to week items - bread & milk ect - we should be set for a few months.

More new camper work today. I "found" an unused space under one of the dinette seats that can serve as a pantry. I just have to box it in. It should provide about 2 cubic feet of storage.

My 23yr old niece may be coming over (if it isn't raining) to learn how to drive a stick shift. She has a job interview soon & they require that "skill". Apparently I am the only person she knows who still has that ancient technology in the form of a 1965 Ranchero.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
GM, Ford and Chrysler from the sticks of Kentucky where I am reporting NO FOG. Sun is out bright which means a 2 hour early start in the hayfield. Sledgehammer Rick came and Looked at the slip clutch on the hay fluffer and pronounced it DOA. I will limp by with it until I get solid gold parts to repair it..

MRC Mike, maybe you could get Tom's wife to give you advice on that new Refrigerator as they struggled with one of the hi Dollar ones last year.
They have new ones that can call you at the grocery store and tell you what to buy.

Last night Judy Brown fixed Breakfast for Supper. I had some of those Sandhill Plums on hot biskits that I stole from Bruce's house. They were great.

I suppose I need to get Equipment hooked up and ready to go to the hayfield.
Y'all have a safe day and try not add to the statistics in Chicargo where they had 6 KIA and 59 wounded nuff to go to the hospital over the weekend. Plenty of 9 mm ammo there it seems.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 61º and hazy here headed for 90. Summer just keeps hanging on but the days are getting noticeably shorter.

Yesterday was a lazy day. I moved some of my stuff off of the kitchen table and that was about it. Late in the afternoon I eased out to the shop door to have a beer and 2 buddies stopped by when they saw me out. So a beer ended up being a few beers.

Not much planned for today yet. I doubt that last for long.

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
65 heading to 90 by mid afternoon. Hope it is like yesterday.
Didn’t accomplish much yesterday. Go shoot…..yes,no,yes,no too heck with it grab something and go. The KIDD 10/22 rifle has me frazzled. It has shot everything ok to good, just not what I was wanting or expecting. Yesterday turned that around a fair bit as the planets and stratosphere must have been in alignment.
1/2” groups for 10 shoots were getting better, still get a first shot flyer at times have a few things to try there yet. Eley Team and club would group about 3/8” for five regularly.

Mr butterfly happened to land on a target I was working on, just couldn’t help myself. Notice the fly inspecting the splatter.

Mr Fly crawled across the target, to the left of where he was. Bad move, lol.
Almost as much fun as prairie dogs!

·
Registered
160 Posts
mornin', SOMETHING round 70* here this morning.......
Yesterday I went to the farm.....son Chris & I showed his 14 year old twin boys how-to on their new Savage youth .350 Legend.
Basics second, after safety review.....then bore-sighted it..... first shots at 20 yrds,. then 50 yards, then on the bench & bags at 100 yards.
THEY did all the shooting, and did well enough, recoil is not bad at all, for a pretty light rifle.
Only had 20 rounds, shot 10, it shows promise. Holding 10 back for next session.
I want to clean the bore again.
Hoping my 3-die RCBS set comes in this week. I have the rest of the stuff. First reloads will be Hornady 165gr. FTX & likely Li'l gun.
Youth deer season starts the 18th? I think, Chris wants to get them WITH HIM in the double stand, one boy at a time.

·
Administrator
12,656 Posts
Morning folks. It's 64 and sunny in VA Beach. We are headed home shortly. We changed fuel filters yesterday in the bad motor and had no luck fixing the problem. Might be another hard to get to filter that you have to take half the engine apart to get to. Let the pros do that. We pulled the boat this morning so my bud can take it in whenever he gets an appointment.

Well time to sack and pack. Then fight 95 traffic. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
JSH, nice work. I have done that before, many years ago. I was looking at my target and a fly landed on it. Bang and the fly pieces flew everywhere. And a buddy starting yelling. He witnessed the whole thing, as he had been cooling his rifle and was watching my target through his scope. The rifle was a 1925 vintage Winchester Model 52.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tinman, I sold my 52 a while back, obummer ammo shortage years. I kept dads Model 75 as I won my first trophy with it, First place and my first match to boot.
I went without a .22 match rifle for a number of years. Buddy has a tricked out 10/22, lots of $$$ in it. I looked at 10/22’s for a project, then priced all the “extras” to make it better or the best it can be, WOW. Ended up just ordering a barreled KIDD action as I didn’t care for his stock. FYI still in it for less than most builds AND it is a custom.
While waiting on it I had been looking at the Vodoo and Rimx guns. Several people with good score backgrounds made numerous comments on how a great a value the Bergara rifles are. Accidentally found one on GB for a ridiculous low starting bid, it was listed wrong and in wrong place. I was the only bidder and won it, while I was waiting on the KIDD to get done. The Bergara arrived and low and behold it was a carbon fiber barrel to boot!
I had a TT Diamond trigger laying around and put that in it. I have to say it shoots every bit as good if not better than my old 52 ever did.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Went to saddle shop/ leather shop yesterday afternoon. Wifey’s cousin doing good work on my projects. A couple of knife sheaths and a pair of suspenders were done and ready to go. He was closed for the day but said he was home and just lives across the drive from the shop.

Top knife was made by friend (now deceased) Jim Sasser. Sasser knives are now very collectible items. Last one I saw on eBay went for over $500. I designed this nice and took the drawing and idea to him. Wanted a small knife to put sheath on suspenders…now on 3rd pair of suspenders. Middle one was given to me by knife maker friend. Bottom one is a MoorMaker (Oklahoma edition). The MoorMakers are (in my opinion) probably the best “store bought” ones on the market. They were made in Texas, but heard they had been “bought out”.

JR….hope you liked the plums “again”.
I’m off to do things didn’t get to yesterday. Drug store, Bank, dominoes, etc.
JSH…good shooting. I really like my CZ 22’s. I figure the Begara 22 will be my next project. The little redhead and I really enjoy range time with the 22’s. Last week when JR was here was the first time she had ever tried one of my CZ’s, and she was shooting “lights out” with it.

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
JSH and Bruce, I have been a fan of good 22lrs for years. I have a bunch, both target and sporter models. I wound up shooting 22 Rifle Silhouette for several years and really liked it. Also built up a couple of 10-22s, one with a Kimber barrel and the other with a 1:9 Green Mountain barrel. All good fun and I still exercise them once in a while.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good afternoon almost from the ☀ E side of the Chesapeake. I'm continuing rehashing yesterday's shooting . Started off a house of fire to later couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with the 28 gauge . Anyway the dog did stellar as usual . This hound is very focused as long as u have a shotgun in your hands and it is amazing how they can mark a bird in thick heavy bush ..Well we are going to rest up until Friday I'm fortunate enough to get invited to a great shoot at Sabine Hall plantation . Now it reminds me of Lexington VA . Went you get there u can smell the history . I enjoy the invite but talk about a fish 🐟 out of water . I just imagine how these folks live . Bottom picture is Jake resting 2 days of hard retrieving in 85 +weather wears them out . Charlie safe travels God bless you 95 traffic past Fredericksburg is a road that I doubt I will ever travel again them people's are crazy. Everyone stay safe and have a good day.Ok the secret is out I believe Bruce hit it on the head it was a little distraction the warmer it got the less stayed on . I had to leave once it started to warm up
Sky Plant Building Window Property
Plant Dog Dog breed Collar Carnivore
Comfort Wood Grey Rectangle Flooring
Shoe Plant Shorts Air gun People in nature

Attachments

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
GM and thanks to All for your prayer support. My son has done a wonderful recovery and is working from home today, albeit "strapped in the saddle". His words.
I am in town awaiting the call to go inside for my Annual physical. They be running late already. I ran faster than I wanted coming down, i believe in break in. Now I sit.
Spent all afternoon and evening polishing the car. It be greased Teflon slick now. Had a nice mater from the garden for the blt yday. Love them.
I don't know how this will print out but it is wonky staggered on the tablet screen.
Not much else to report other than heart felt praises to the God who made heaven and earth for the recovery of my only son. Tom ou​

Reactions: Grandad and JSH

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Didnt see the attachment till now. Looks like great potential fir muktiple self inflicted wounds.
Have fun w the hoi paloi, upper crust etc etc...you know what I mean. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts