Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Tuesday Morning

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  George Foster 
#1 ·
71° here in Upstate NY under fairly clear skies this morning. We are supposed to have a high temperature of about 83° today with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. We had a high temperature of 95° here yesterday and that broke the record.

I went up to the gun club yesterday morning early as I had to check on something but I didn't get to do any shooting. I went and picked up some shelving brackets at the local hardware so I can put a couple 8' long shelves up in the new shed. After that I stayed home and inside as much as I could out of the heat. This morning I will be on the road and then hopefully I will be at home the rest of the day.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

#2 ·
Good Morning from NC Ohio where we had a quarter inch of rain last evening , need some more. High temp today is 85 with less humidity, a move in the right direction. Just read an Email that all Daylily club activities are cancelled that makes for a boring year for me and everyone else. Time is passing fast for some reason? Everyone be safe and healthy. Prayers to all and country. Mike

#3 ·
Good morning, GGVG. Already oppressive here in CT and I'm making sure that I'll be working inside under cover all day. I'm already planning on NOT going fishing after work due to the heat and humidity. AC is running full blast and still can't keep up. Hope all us old guys take it easy and be safe today.
Yup, I did say us old guys as we all ain't as young as we used to be!

#4 ·
Good morning from Waseca, currently it's 68 and partially cloudy, high is 83 and humid.
Yesterday went well. I met with the group that shooters rimfire each Monday. Last week there was 2 of us, yesterday 5. Some good shooting and lots of lies swapped. I think I will be hanging around here more often.
I used the 92 year old Savage model 19 and found it was holding it's own against newer rifles.
Lots of work to do today, ,
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

#6 ·
73° with a chance of showers this morning. Took a ride down to Henry County yesterday evening to check out Benjy Kinman Lake. It’s a small state lake that I had heard of but had never been there before. Looks promising and there are actually a couple of lakes and ponds there that are accessible by canoe or kayak but only the large one ( 88 acres ) has a paved ramp. Looks promising and they say it holds some trophy-sized bass. Passed by Perry Park along the way. It looks like they used some of Doug’s money to repaint the sign since the last time I passed by it. Saw more tobacco Growing down there than I have seen in years around here. Brought back lots of good (and bad) memories.
Dentist appointment today and hopefully a trip to the range this evening. Glad to see the Humidity is finally dropping.
Body of water Water Nature Water resources Reflection
Tree Natural landscape Road Sky Trail

#7 ·
good morning folks. It's 75 and overcast here this morning, but supposed to be sunny later. Maybe a stray shower with a high of "only" 90 today. Yesterday was awful. I had a Dr. appt. after work. Took my temp and made me wait outside for a half hour before they brought me in. Bloodwork was okay, sugar down, cholesterol still up. He upped my meds and sent me on my way. Did I really have to go in for that?

Got an email yesterday from Amazon, my package couldn't be delivered because my driveway was inaccessible. Since I'm home, I went right out and checked. Nobody is in the drive, no trees fell. It's wide open. The mail female left a note in my box to pick up package at PO because my driveway is "hazardous and she can't turn around". So I understand they are now not allowed to BACK UP at all??? I guess it's a safety thing. Might as well take reverse out of the vans altogether, save money on gears for the transmission. WTF. I spent an hour and a half on hold with the PO last night, never got thru. I emailed them instead. Took a video of my drive and attached it. If I can get 50 feet worth of boat, trailer and truck turned around, I think they can turn a mail van around. Probably won't hear anything from the email, but the Postmaster is going to get an earful when I pick up my package today.

I better get going, still jammed up at work. Old neighbor died last week, his funeral is today, graveside service only. I may slide over there before lunch to pay my respects. He was 96, brother to the ole widow I used to care for. They grew up down the road from my grandmother and used to play together as kids.

Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

#8 ·
morning all. 54 with mid 80s today, soggy out here for a change, got more rain yesterday. Had .60 at the farm shop yesterday but only .12 here at the house. Supposed to dry out the next couple days then possible more rain on the weekend.
Worked in the shop most of the day yesterday, pulled three flat tires off the semi trailer we stack hay with, now the boss man needs to take them to the COOP and get new ones! Also worked on one of the New Holland loaders that we stack hay with, fixed a bad oil leak. Not sure just what I'll find for today. Only have four sprinklers running so not as much problems there!
Better move along, have a great and safe day.
GOD BLESS. Dean

#9 ·
Morning Gents! Its 75º and cloudy here headed for the low 90's.

I spent most of the day yesterday on the tractor mowing levees at my Son's place. The unusual amount of rain has really caused the weeds and grass to grow! Got home early enough to have a couple of beers while sitting in the shop door before supper!

I think todays plan is to go check on my buddies boys at their farm. It will mostly be windshield time but its something different than being on a tractor. We usually pick up some brass off of a couple of bridges around the farm. Like I need more 223's and 9mm's!

Prayers offered for those in need.

You'll have a good one.

#10 ·
How do you spell RELIEF? I spell it a good rain storm and cool front. It is 61 this morning for Red T. Basset’s poop walk. We got an inch and a quarter of welcome and needed rain at our place, Skruske. Don’t know about your place. I’m going back for another lesson in hitting the dot with an air rifle this Saturday. Should be fun.

#11 · (Edited)
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky where we have a cooler morning headed to 90+ this afternoon.
Parts were bought at the Vermeer dealer and Rick worked on the bailer till 10 pm. It rained all around us yesterday but skipped us. I have about two rolls of hay to wad up later .....been lying there for a week. Then put new cutter blades in the Hay cutter. Judy Brown is going on a trip with another Quilting woman today. So, I am on my own.

Yesterday we had an Home Improvement FIRE at a neighbor's unoccupied trailer. Did a good thorough job.

Skruske, I gave Rick 50 of those Messican Antibiotics last night, told him he would speak Mexican after about 10 pills. He's always sick it seems; probably from working 18 hours a day a no rest.

Oh. I had a Coyote story. Came up the road yesterday and saw a Coyote down in my bottom land. Couldn't back up so I whipped in to an old house I shoot tree targets out of the rear window overlooking the bottom. Only problem was there was a 450# bull calf in there. He went crazy , sounded like a herd of elephants in there...Then jumped out the window that I was going to shoot out of. Of course The Coyote was long gone after all that racket. Funny, the window was about 10 feet off the ground. Splat.😃

have a safe day and stay out of the war zones. In the Democrat controlled cities.

And Thanks Charlie, I wasn't sure about a small piece of meat like that. It turned out just great, Jackson pronounced it great, so I guess it was ok.

#17 ·
Only problem was there was a 450# bull calf in there. He went crazy , sounded like a herd of elephants in there...Then jumped out the window that I was going to shoot out of. Of course The Coyote was long gone after all that racket. Funny, the window was about 10 feet off the ground. Splat.😃
JR, this board wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if you weren't here. You seem to just attract the damnedest situations.
KF

#13 ·
Good morning, GoGo. It's 77 in Louisville, going to 89. I haven't been out, but I'm sure it's plenty humid. We were supposed to have a chance of thunderstorms all week, but that's been pushed off to Thursday.

Y'all put ol' KF on your prayer list as I pissed off my liberal daughter last night and she's on the warpath. She posted a picture on FaceBook of a watermelon salad she made for dinner. I replied that I couldn't comment on it because "BLM and my HR department say I can't use the word water ... water ... water... anymore." This morning I had a blistering note asking if I'd had another stroke or maybe I was drunk when I wrote that. All I did was point out the truth, but she couldn't handle it. Anyway, I'll likely be shunned for at least a few weeks, and that's not good.

Speaking of melons, TAJ mentioned a few days ago that he was gonna get back on the wagon and help a neighbor bring in a field of melons. Tom, let us know you're OK.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe out there, and remember you can't use the word watermelon.

#14 ·
Good morning y'all. It's 71 in Indy heading for the middle 80s. Made the daily trip to the pancake joint for the #1 breakfast. Cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee. My old buddy Kenny was there to remind us "what amazes me" (darned near everything) and how it was "when we were coming up". He's a good old boy. He's just stuck in the past.

Got brass cooking in the man cave. Loaded some .223 68 gr HPBT yesterday with 2 legged varmints in mind. Hate even thinking that way but it's crazy out there. Probably load a few more with smaller game intentions today. Leaning toward the 53 gr VMax for them.

Might take a drive today just to get away for a bit. Haven't been down along the Ohio River for a while and it's a nice ride east of Madison, IN.

CarlP, Perry Park only got a little of my money but I intend to give 'em more. It was so bad down there we rebooked for next year.

Sunday's family reunion went off without a hitch although we had a couple of no-shows. One grandson has been exposed to a buddy who tested positive for the Dem/Chinese virus and another one had trouble getting back from Arkansas in time. Other than that, it was good. I am stuck with a bunch of left-over pulled pork, though.

Went to the eye doc yesterday. Gonna' start down the road to cataract surgery. Gotta' call back today for a referral. Rumor is it's no big deal.

Have a good day.

#20 ·
I am stuck with a bunch of left-over pulled pork, though.

Went to the eye doc yesterday. Gonna' start down the road to cataract surgery. Gotta' call back today for a referral. Rumor is it's no big deal.
Put that pulled pork on buns, with a splash of sauce, then wrap and freeze them individually. Pull 'em out any time you want a good meal and don't want to cook. Takes 2-3 minutes in the microwave.

As for the cataract surgery, I had my first eye done 10-12 years ago and the second one 3-4 years later. Only pain at all was when the nurse couldn't get a vein to hold still in the back of my hand. I was awake through the whole thing, that line is just in case there's a problem and they need to hit you with a drug for some reason. Lilke TAJ, the lenses they put back in were set for my prescription, which is a nice bonus.

#16 ·
Up around 7 or so the last two ayems, nice off and on breeze yday, none today but a shade cooler. We had a fast .7" around supper but no follow on overnight. Corn is booming. 6' fields are runts. 7-8' is the norm. Making and filling ears. Beans are knee high and dense. If this keeps up, it will help even out what never was planted or drowned out for all the rain we had last year.
We had a good haze earlier, abt a half mile to where it looked hvy. Gone now. Doesn't seem as humid as y'day in the melon field.
Loeded a p/ u w 200, his trlr w 100, bosses flat bed partial w around 350 then picked a nice load. 0830 to abt noon. Not a dry stitch on me. Good exercise for sure and I didn't fall off the wagon....a win win. ;) :)
Had to take lap top in for reframmussing. Maybe false pos on hard drive being OK? Getting a new one, REMC coming out to reconnect my fibre, more $$. Gotta get the Censles trng done. Tried Mickey D on way home w a loaner lap top but it was a trainwreck....wifi wise.....I'm going to need 2 healthy check$ to break even. Talked w a colleague y'day who has moved into Supe position. He said it ain't no better than Phase 1 and even worse in some areas.......I need to get my duck feathers preened, interlocked, do what they want and put a smile on my kisser and cash the checks, right?
Time for some more trng, Tom out.

#18 ·
Yes Doug, a non event. I even had lenses installed, "while they were in there and had it torn down" so only need reading glasses now. $$ well spent imo.

#21 ·
Morning all79 headed to 83 today, humidity is 90%. The weather forecast has been 5-7 degrees off for 2 weeks now. Was supposed to be 88 yesterday, got up to 94 for a spell. Mowed out at the farm and home yesterday, nearly 3 hours on two mowers, it was hot and muggy. I cant remember anything I was going to put on here, so I guess i bettter ger off. Buff out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.