Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
32° here in Upstate NY under cloudy skies this morning, the high temperature for today looks to be up to about 38° with lighter winds. We have had some heavy winds the last two days. Today we have a chance of snow showers, rain showers this morning and then rain showers this afternoon.

Yesterday was a fairly quiet peaceful day that was spent around home all day. I talked with a fellow who has been my best friend since 1966 and he not only bought a new BR rifle in 6PPC but has been under covid quarantine for the third time. I told him he better stop hanging around with the people who have covid before he gets it himself, at his age of 80 that wouldn't be good. This morning I have to be on the road, I have to go down to the town clerk sometime today and renew Rusty's license.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 27 and clear, might get to 38 with clouds. Yesterday was windy and cold. Monday shooting group got to talking and forgot about shooting. We didn't solve the world's problems either.
Today is working on scanning and writing. I need to make a grocery run sometime.
I hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio. 37 going to 39 today with stiff wind. I was running to the corner store when I saw what I thought was a deer cross in front of me. That coyote cleared two fields and disappeared to the Dutch dairy farm in about 3 seconds, how do you guys get a shot at them? I can't even pick a rifle up before they disappear!! That is the only one I've seen in 2 - 3 years around here, I'm sure there's more. Be safe and healthy. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Good morning folks. 39 and clear here. I'm up a tree again for a quick sit before work. Yesterday at 1pm there was a doe with 2 spikes and a 6 pt after her. Hoping Mr. Big ran them off and is in here today. Quick range trip yesterday was nice. Checked a few rifles. Good to go.

Prayers sent. have a good one.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Good morning crew...37° here this morning and going to low 40's today. I got the call last night my deer is ready to pick up from processing. I owe a few rolls of summer sausage to my buddy Tony. Saturday morning we was supposed to be in the woods but he text me and said he was going to the doctor for his back there was no way he could go as he couldn't hardly stand up.....then says go sit in my stand on the edge of the field. I did and got that 10point.:LOL: This about the 3rd or 4th time he has told someone to go sit in his stand and they smoke a nice deer....everyone except him. Hopefully he learns this time.
The locker opens about 8 I think so I'll run down there and pick it up...I brought a cooler but don't think I'll need it unless I run out of freezer space have to find more.
Got off work and went home and was in bed early last night. Also found out my wife's Aunt's BF of many many years passed away from covid yesterday.. I think he had some heart issues but was otherwise in decent shape I think. Really weird the way it hits some people. It is running through the factory where my wife works pretty hard right now too and she's a little freaked out by it now. Hell they are telling people to come to work even if they have family living with them that test positive to come to work just wear a mask and wonder why it's so bad there.
I have 2 doe tags left I might try to fill but not sure yet. I wont have room in the freezer but have a buddy that tries to fill his freezer with nothing but deer and they eat on that al year so I may donate on if I can score another one. He does all his processing so won't be any cost there.

Hope everyone has a good day and stays safe!

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Mornin boys...
Upper 20s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Guess I'll head out and pretend like I'm hunting
Just aint got much want-to this year for some reason
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Good morning tree climbers and all others. It's 34 heading for 44 here in the land of the quarantine. I often proclaim there's not much going on around here but THERE'S NOT MUCH GOING ON AROUND HERE. I am catching up on processing brass from this year's p dog safari. Got a batch of .204 that should be ready in the tumbler. This is a good time to do all the drudgery of sizing and trimming.

Kenny is starting his five days of remdesivir treatments today, I think. His son told me they've had him up walking around with little discomfort. He's in his middle 80s so ya' never know. Got my fingers crossed. His son called the car dealer Kenny works for part time driving dealer trades to tell them he has covid. They goof he talked to told him, oh yeah, we've got several guys around here with that! :rolleyes:

Hope the big boy comes by and offers a shot to you guys up a tree. Good day to all.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky where we have breaking dawn over the hills.
Neighbor Fella hunting on my land shot AT a deer yesterday morning, Missed, rifle snapped on 3 additional rounds. I took the bolt to Coyote George who has the little disassembly tool, and I washed it out with Gasoline. Fired a test round and it's good to go.
He passed thru my gate 30 minutes ago and I just heard 2 Rifle Shots up on the hill. Probably missed again.

Weather today is supposed to be cool and windy; if so, I wont be out in the wind much. Yesterday was a trip to the closest Rallys HB Joint. 2 double rallyburgers for $4. Can't beat that with a stick.
Doug Pancake Robert's is going to have to cook his own pancake for a few days it seems.
Hope you are clear buddy.

So far I have not gotten Chinese Virus from my Damcows or Cats.
Yall be safe today

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 39* here and not getting much warmer. Sunday I made some apple chips in the dehydrator boy a tasty treat. Going to the farm this afternoon, that about it on this end. Have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods.

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Hey Doug,

I forgot to tell you the big news! Rural King is coming to a town near me! Woohooo! Can't wait to see what the fuss is about. My sister in-law applied for a manager job there. Here LOWES gig just isn't treating her well enough.

No deer were harmed this morning. Had 2 does and a fawn in the front yard. IDK where the bucks are, but they have the does way off their pattern. Maybe I'll catch one from the desk blind?

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Jr that sounds like some of the guys that were hunting with in a mile of me....first crack of daylight 3 rounds.....then after I shot my deer they come across the field thinking it was the one they "hit". They jumped it back up on the way back to where they were hunting and chased it all day. I was back up there later tht afternoon to set my groundblind and same thing 3 more shots.....they finally got it.
He said I don't know how I missed I think I didn't have my scope turned up enough....probably never shot it before hitting the field!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
morning all. 18 with a high in the 50s today. Was 55 yesterday, really nice day to work cattle.
Got thru working cows around 3:30 then moved them to a fresh field. Got dark before we got another 60 head hauled out where they are going, will do that today.
Have to make a trip to town for new glasses, they've been there for a week now, just haven't had time to get them picked up.
The jerky we made sure came out good, was nice to have along yesterday while working cows.
Breakfast is waiting so better get, have a safe and healthy day, prayers for all in need, and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
It’s right at freeze/thaw with a 32 reading and there’s a covering of white stuff. There’s a State Game Area a quarter of a mile down from us and cars in the parking lot every day and all day now. For me deer season is chuckle season. I regularly hear bursts of three or more and I never see deer in the pickups. I mean, if you can’t hit a deer on the first shot, you aren’t going to get him on the next four shots. Listen to me here as I don’t even hunt any more but when I did, I hit what I aimed for. I know where the ammo shortage is caused. Here at the corner of Metcalf and Gibbons Roads. Paul has two eight points in the freezer. The second was a real beaut with wide spread and symmetrical points.
Lucky Doug. The NCAA has ruled that all teams and games in March Madness will be in Indianapolis this year. And I hear they love pancakes.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Thanks JR, I had a McDonalds apple fritter this morning. Not a pancake but not bad.

Charlie..If Rural King doesn't have it, you don't need it.

FB..They may come here if Antifa and BLM don't burn the place down. Either way "I ain't doin' it"

Reactions: JRinKY

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
What Doug said, "I ain't doin' it" is right. If they allow that many people to watch live, it will be the mother of all super-spreader event. Four arenas in town and four big colleges within 60 miles from Indy. The whole darn state will get COVID for sure.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Morning all, 42 headed to 50. I died last night, slept in late and it was needed. Going to get to grinding deer here in a few, .get both ground and processed, will make some tenderized steak out of the top sirloin and maybe some backstraps. I will barely have room, due to having a turkey in the freezer. It is a good feeling to look into 2 freezers and see all sausage, chicken, deer and vegetables we have put back during the summer to do thru the year. Also good to look in the pantry, see about 400 jars of canned vegetables and meat, and several jars of dehydrated veggies to use in soups, etc. I honestly dont know how many more years we will be able to live a self sustaining lifestyle, as it is a lot of hard work, and I am able to do less each year it seems, but it is very satisfying to be able to see what you have accomplished during the year. We have been having greens out of the garden twice a week, turnips, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, and a few rutabaga's all still growing. I have rattled on enough, you all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Never mind all that stuff Koger; grow toilet paper.
I thought we were over that BS. Of course if you watch the TV news you might need a roll or two.
Jest sayin....

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a wood burning stove to heat the house with some of the TP Julie bought. How long would a roll of it burn? Some of the cheap stuff is about 200 grit, I think. Gotta' like that multi-purpose stuff!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts