Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
32° here in Upstate NY this morning with some freezing rain. It is supposed to change over to regular rain as the high temperature will be up to about 42° today. Then tonight it will be turning cold again. Some awfully strange weather pattern we are in right now.

I was on the road for a time yesterday and we got a little dusting of snow but it wasn't too bad a day. Today I don't have to go anywhere and I glad for it, the snow plow just came through so the boys are on the job. The are ten people in our local highway department and five of them had Covid, of course only one wore a mask the damn fools! The highway superintendent thought or thinks Covid was or is a big hoax, I don't know how he feels now.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 15 now high of 17? Wind till midnight when it hits -3 Ken must be pushing the cold this way. No doctor appointments cause they cancelled yesterday. Be safe and stay warm and Prayers to all, those without power thru the south and this country. Mike

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great morning everyone,

7-9 inches of fresh powder with blowing drifting to go with 9° here near HalfwayUSA.

Yesterday was fun as could be. :rolleyes: I cleared the driveway of snow in 5°. I also made a path out across the yard to the woodshed. Sure glad I did that as it made pushing a wheel barrow quite a bit easier.

The little foo foo dog wanted outside a little bit ago. She took a look at the knee deep drift across the patio & squatted right on the steps. She turned around and DEMANDED to be rescued from that.

Today, get to do the same thing again as yesterday. At least the wood is already in the garage. Keeping the stove tended will be the primary task for today.

I sure ain't going to make a trip north to the old hunting partner's place.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good mornin from rainy WV, it's 38* here now but the weather guessers saying temps droping through the day to the teens by this evening, not good. West of us they are saying ice and sleet, sorry to here that. My last day at Glade, filling in for a couple that had Dr appointments. JR you be safe out there with those damcows and cats, that;s some nasty stuff you all got yesterday. That's about it from here, the critters and birds are fed, have a safe and good one today.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 17 below, dropping to 20 below before warming up. High might be 1 ABOVE. I haven't been able to say that in 12 days. And yes, we are always happy to share our weather with you. Yesterday I stopped by the local gunshop just to look around, and hope there might be ammo or powder I wanted. Nope, neither. But a Ranger/Stevens 22 repeater jumped in to my arms and cried, take me with you and love me. How could I resist. The weather was beautiful yesterday, sunny and crisp, really enjoyed being outside.
No shooting Yesterday as it was a holiday, we shoot on Thursday.
Plenty to do at home today.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 32 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
It rained last nite and the temps stayed in the 40s til after
I went to bed. They say it will fall all day but I think the wet
stuff is by us now. Called schools closed today but we.have to go
in. There may but slick spots in the county, maybe even here as I ain't
been out yet. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

PS...well we do have a dust'in of white stuff and its sleeting
now...

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
morning all. 15 with low to mid 30s later maybe. Good chance of snow for today and tomorrow but won't amount to much if it does.
Move cattle around yesterday morning and will have more to move today. Heifers are in the corrals so we can keep a eye on them when they start calving. No new calves as of dark last night.
Not sure what else I'll do today, but probably should find something!
Bible study tonight unless it storms.
Better get around, have a good day, stay warm, healthy and safe. Prayers for those that aren't and others along with our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Good morning all. It's 9 degrees in beautiful south suburban Indy. Might make it near 20 but it looks like the snow is about over for a while. I think we got around 8-10". Put some time in behind the snow blower yesterday. Three times that is. Next door neighbor was shoveling their drive because he can't get to his snow blower. Of course I gave him that old line about a strong back and a weak mind. He tweaked his strong back shoveling and I told him next time around he's gonna' use our blower. About 8:00 I went out to check things just in time to see a plow bury the end of the driveways about knee deep. No way any regular car is gonna' get thru that and I sure didn't want to let it freeze solid. So, risking life and limb, I blew off our drive and theirs. Got finished just as she got home. You guys east of us might get the leftovers from our little flurry.

Doesn't look like we'll be going anywhere for a while. Julie was supposed to be at work around noon but we expect that will be cancelled. All the schools are closed and several counties have travel restrictions. Betting the pancake joint won't be open until lunch time..........maybe.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
14° with a few extra inches of snow on the ground. Got up early to shovel the driveway and clear the cars then headed in to work. I have about a 25 mile commute and it only took me about 10 minutes longer than usual. Roads aren’t very crowded at 5 AM. Stopped on the way home last night to shovel Mom’s driveway. It’s a cold job but the pay is good. She had soup beans, cornbread and a glass of tea waiting for me when I was done. Probably going to stop on the way home today and do it again, unless one of my sons beat me to it. Sure glad I stacked up some extra wood by the house on Sunday. The regular stash is disappearing fast. Heard from my Texas cousins yesterday and their weather is about the same as ours. The only difference is that they will be back up to 70° in a few days.
No animals have been harmed so far this week but I may set a few snares, if I have time after work today.
Prayers offered for those in need. Be careful out there and make it a good day.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Good morning and happy 2's day all. It's 34 here on the warm side of the vortex. Thankfully that's not 24. The trees are all ice covered, a real winter wonderland, but the sidewalk and driveway are open for business. Hard to believe. A few degrees colder and we'd be in trouble. Calling for 44 later today and cooler tomorrow, with a "plowable snow" on Thursday. Great... I guess I'll bring more wood in tomorrow. Only have maybe 5-6 weeks worth left in the shed. Glad it's only 4 weeks to spring!

Last night I muddled thru loading some 38's and 44 mags. Been awhile since I loaded them and had to revisit my technique. I have a little dandy rotor powder measure I almost forgot how to use. Sure wish I had a few more rotors. Last time I made one out of delrin rod I guess if I felt inclined I might make more, but I'll find some somewhere. I thought I had more brass than I do, I only had 150 of the 44's and maybe 200 of the 38's. I thought I got a whole sack of them from Carl P at the BBB a few years back??? Maybe they'll turn up somewhere. I'll bang out the last 50 of the 44's today at lunch maybe, and give all 150 a nice crimp. I'll finish up the 38's later.

Well, I guess I should get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Good morning everyone.....it's 10°here right now with a bunch of snow on the ground. I'm still at the house for now. My buddy Tony called and said he barely made it to the shop this morning as he was pushing snow with his bumper of his truck all the way to the highway. I haven't been out yet and not sure I'm going to for a bit. The suburban will do fine just not sure I want to deal with it this morning.
The wife called in as well. I do believe our county is still on a travel restriction.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
12º with snow in the air and on the ground in the hollow. We only got maybe 2" of snow, but there is between a 1/4" and 1/2" of ice under the snow. Not much going on in Nashville as traffic is at a standstill. Most everything is closed, even the grocery stores closed last night at 6 and opened at 8 this morning. I didn't go out yesterday and probably won't today. No fresh tracks on our road this morning so it seems no one else is going out either. I did manage to load some 6 PPC and 22 PPC yesterday as well as deprime and swage some 223. Might do more of that today as I have quite a bit of range brass I've picked up over the past couple of years. About half is LC. Primary duty today will be keeping the bird feeders full.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 5º and sunny here headed to 18 or 19. We have snow starting again tonight and tomorrow.

Yesterday was mostly keeping wood on the fire and keeping the bird feeders full. I tinkered around in the loading room a little and that was about it.

Today looks to be a rerun of yesterday. Keeping a fire going and keeping the bird feeders topped off will be the main event. I may fire up the heater on the lube sizer and lube some cast bullets. I bought a Star Sized a while back and have not used it yet so this will be a new one for me. I need to mail a package off so I may get out and go to the post office.

Prayers offered for our members in need, those fighting the Chinese Virus, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Good cool morning from the sticks of Kentucky at 18° and about an inch of Snow on top of the 1 inch plus of Ice and Sleet that fell yesterday and last night.

The highway is ver rough and chopped up with vehicles that made Ruts in the buildup of ice. There have been only 2 vehicles pass today and 1 was a Tractor. I feed hay for the Damcows and also Fed 3 Rolls for the DamSchoolteacher neighbor. He leaves his Tractors sit outside and the Hydraulucs are Frozen. Got a $60K bass boat but nowhere to store his tractors.
Maybe. He has his priorities correct? Maybe? He had a cow have a calf sn hour ago but it seems to be ok.

Otis the Cat was Pissed off this morning; Spooky had unplugged the electric heater a jumping around. I fixed it for him and left him curled up in his chair in front of the heater.

We have quite a bit of ICE and some people have lost power. EAST mountains region are really OUT.

Not too serious here on the High Tensile fence.
Have a safe day folks. Everything in the Area is closed today but a couple grocery stores. JB may not make Wendy's today.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
Minus 9 right now an hour ago it was -12, but the sunshine is making a real change here in the northern Ozarks. We have about 8 or 9 inches of snow on the ground. That is quite an odd change for us, we just get something like this every 7 or 8 years. Our snow is usually an inch or two or just enough to turn the ground white. My temp measured at the weather station at the Corp of Engineers at the dam about 3 miles from house as the Crow flies. I started this quite a while ago and the got a phone call from my Grandson that lasted over an hour and a couple of other calls and now I am back and the current temp is now minus 4.
Not much else going on except I am going to have to change out a Thermostat that has quit working, called a furnace guy to get him to change it he can't get here until tomorrow and I don't want to spend another night without good heat. I have a gas heater in the basement and a gas fireplace and they keep the house livable but not real comfortable. So it is up to me.
You-all have a great day and stay and warm. Prayers for the needing and a special pray for our country. Please keep me in your thoughts tomorrow I am going in for the shot into my spine in the morning.
God bless

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Late update...just stepped outside about a half hour ago and it was the coolest/weirdest thing. The sun is shining brightly overhead, but was really foggy down low. The sun was melting all the ice off the trees, and it sounded like a really heavy rain/sleet as the trees were all dropping their ice at once. It only lasted maybe a half hour. Temps up to 38 now and headed to mid 40's. Everything is melted off now and just a few drips here or there. Be a great day to take the afternoon off, but I have to work at the shop later.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
It's 16° here now and going to get colder soon. That isn't the Problem however, as there is a Big Buildup of ICE on trees and lectric lines in Eastern Kentucky. I think I saw nearly 100,000 folks out of Power. Some were Off for 5 days, just got restored yesterday; now they are OFF Again with no estimate how long it will be to get power restored.
If you don't have a Generator or Wood Heat it is a big problem.

I just checked back and the numbers are 145,000 people out of Power in Mostly Eastern Kentucky.

I managed to slide into a mud hole but got it snaked out. Forgot to engage 4 WD I think.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Glad you made it out...I figure my truck would be stuck in park
this evening when I got off wor, it wouldn't so maybe the problem is over...
hope so.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts