Varmint Hunters Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
If I had my druthers, I’d druther have a foot of snow than an inch of ice. The snow is what we have this time. We have a generator for those times without power And believe me we lose power more often than you think.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
We took a tour of the subdivisions in Skruske Land during Rummage Sale madness. Several Times...and I asked him what those big boxy units beside the houses were that said General on them.
He replied that was" Generac " and was a back up power unit I suppose Propane powered. There are a lot if them in the North land and would be here if they weren't so expensive.
There is a big portion of the county I live in that is out of power right now, but I only had an extended power outtage one time about 15 years ago.

FB, don't be burning my gunpowder to stay warm....I ain't forgot about it.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
They're pushing solar panels around here. Don't have any idea what they cost but the installation includes a Generac generator. Gotta' be pretty spendy.

·
Administrator
12,132 Posts
We pit a generator in several years ago. Pricey...yes, but worth it. Whole house model. With all the dead ash trees, we were routinely seeing outages. Power Co has aggressively cleared trees the past several years, but they haven't got all of them yet.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Our neighbor had an estimate for solar panels to power their entire house about five years ago and it was $17,000.00 plus PLUS the cost of an whole house generator. The solar panels charge a number of batteries. My question has to be, on average, how long will those batteries serve you and what is their life expectancy? That stuff is all expensive. I’m too old to even consider an investment like that. Burning that powder isn’t on my radar. We have lost power on a sunny day because a car hit a power pole five miles from our house. We were powerless maybe 4 hours that time had it not been for the generator. We have been without as long as 8 days.
I agree, Charlie with regard to the price and I also agree that the generator is worth the expense. Just try to put a value on what’s in the freezer.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
It's 16° here now and going to get colder soon. That isn't the Problem however, as there is a Big Buildup of ICE on trees and lectric lines in Eastern Kentucky. I think I saw nearly 100,000 folks out of Power. Some were Off for 5 days, just got restored yesterday; now they are OFF Again with no estimate how long it will be to get power restored.
If you don't have a Generator or Wood Heat it is a big problem.

I just checked back and the numbers are 145,000 people out of Power in Mostly Eastern Kentucky.

View attachment 26144

I managed to slide into a mud hole but got it snaked out. Forgot to engage 4 WD I think.
I thought that was the Geo for a minute there, JR. Then I looked closer and realized there's no calf in this car. Can't be yours.

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
How many calves can you get in there JR? :)

Reactions: lightman
21 - 28 of 28 Posts