Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
27° here in Upstate NY under mostly cloudy skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 35° with cloudy conditions all day. As usual they are calling for more snow up to 2" of it later in the day. We got about 4"s yesterday which I cleared out late in the afternoon after the snow stopped.

Yesterday morning I went and got the oil and filter changed on my car and also had the tires rotated. They told me I needed a new air filter which was $30, I told them no thanks I will change it myself. I get the oil change service for $16.15 with tax but then if you need something the prices are way inflated. I stopped on the way home and got a new air filter for $14 and it took me five minutes to change it. Today I have a Dr. appointment at 8::00 AM for my six month checkup, I had my blood work for it last Saturday. I don't expect any problems as I stay in pretty good health for the most part.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great morning folks,

It appears we have had our first night of above freezing temperatures this year with current reading of 34.6° here near HalfwayUSA. A little moisture is moving through but shouldn't last long. Using the decorative solar lights as a gauge we have lost 3" of snow in the past 24hrs.

Monday, shortly after day light, my plan of just letting the snow melt on the driveway was thwarted. The county plow truck piled up plenty on the end. Me & the shovel cleared away that bit of insult & my plan was once again underway.

When was the last time you ever saw a 1967 Larson snowmobile? This was my dad's and it was 19 horsepower. He and my old hunting partner hauled it to U.P. deer camp on a borrowed trailer but discovered it wasn't very useful in the deep snow that came that season.

I spoke with my old hunting partner last night. He did confirm that a furnace is on order and may be installed by the end of the week. I'm driving up there this morning to haul more wood into the house & catch up his chores. Helping, caring & managing his affairs has not been a single handed effort. There are two others who make regular visits as well. There are also a neighbor couple who can be relied upon to check on him with just a phone call. In short, this is a team effort and I am sincerely appreciative of the extra hands on deck.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
39° here this morning and the snow on the ground is fading fast. We have hit temperatures over 40 the past 2 days and they are saying we will hit 50 tomorrow. Saw a few turkeys and one deer, when I moved the empty trailer back over by the woodpile yesterday. Hopefully, i will only need to load it up a couple more times this year. Changed oil in both cars afterward and replaced a burned out tail light.
Scott, I’ve only seen a few snowmobiles in my life. I’m no expert but that thing looks like it belongs in a museum.
Make it a good day.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 34 and rising, yesterday hit 35 with lots of sunshine, it melted most of the fresh 4 inches of snow from Sunday. Shooting yesterday was abysmal, I couldn't hit anything. I learned some new pointers so keep trying.
Cabelas had 22 ammo yesterday, so I made an ammo run. 5, 100 rd boxes of CCI Mini Mags for 9.00 each. It is good plinking ammo.
Warmer weather throughout the week is a joyful 😊 day.
I hope everyone has a great Tuesday,
Ken

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 37 now going to 37? I'm hoping for a slow melt this week to keep the river in check, so far so good. Coffee is about ready so many Prayers to friends and family and this great country. Mike

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Morning gang. We could use some prayers this morning. Just found out that my DIL is in the hospital and they are going to induce labor. The baby is 6 weeks early but should be fine. If they wait my DIL could start having convulsions. There’s some fancy name for the issue so it isn’t something they haven’t delt with before.
Thanks Tom

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Good morning from Hilton Head Island. Starting the day at 50 and heading for middle 60s. Reached 70 yesterday. Today will be the third day for golf. I’ll take the day off tomorrow. Julie and I will have some sort of adventure. Maybe a drive to Savannah or the 8th Air Force Museum.

Continuing prayers for those in need and the US of A.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good mornin gang, it's 31* the stars are out and today is going to be 50* and sunshine, to top that I'm off today. Kate wanted some of my french toast for breakfast, and wants to go to Rose's today. That;s about it from here, keep our buddies in your prayers, have a good and safe day.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Mornin boys...
Mid 20s this morning here high on RUGER MT.
Hope you all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Good early morning from the sticks of Kentucky at 38° and I see Frost on the Geo windshield. The wood stove has prevented any frost from inside the house.

JB got her Chinese Virus vaccine yesterday and the second one scheduled. I have not been able to schedule the second one due to everyone clamoring to get the first one.
She will be out Full Bore running around very soon.

I loaded up some 8mm Mauser ammo with real Bullets yesterday but didn't test it out yet. I will today as I am continuing with my pledge to fire at least One Round every day till I leave here. I Never hear a Shot Fired anymore except for mine. Everyone is in Hoard mode.

I had a good meal last night with the rest of the Canned Deer a friend swapped to me for 2 other Jars. I came out the best.

Today I have no plans except for Farm Duty and maybe load a few more 9mm lead bullets for plinking.
Have a safe day and we will see what develops.

Reactions: joez

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
morning all. 15 here with mid to low 40s later, was 44 yesterday, even with the wind, seemed cooler though.
May get a snow flake tomorrow or Thurs.
Mostly watched cows yesterday, and helped with my FILs goats. He took a fall yesterday morning and stayed in the house most of the day, but made it out to do evening chores. He's 86 but thinks he's still in his 40s. Starting to not take very good care of the critters so has to be followed around, just not while he's watching!!!!
Heifers are calving fast, cows still holding off for a good storm I guess, only 6 or 8 calves for them.
Better get, slept in for a few now running late.
Have a good day. Prayers for tctom's DIL and baby, also for the others here that are in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I do believe that Larson’s were Polaris sleds with Larson skin over them. They were a decent snowmobile. I think, I think. Back in the 60s.
We are also above thaw right now. We had a little dusting of snow overnight and that was that.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 34 here as well. Popular number, and I'm not complaining. Yes, things seem to be melting with mid to upper 40's today and low 50's even tomorrow maybe. Hopefully it takes a good bit of snow with it. Lots of rain in the long range forecast. I can do rain, no problem. Like someone said yesterday though, get ready for mud season. Days are getting longer and I'm hoping to get out and re-fill the woodsheds here over the next several weeks. Be nice to be putting some in instead of taking it all out.

Well, I'm late as usual, but need to get going. Prayers offered. TC Tom, hope all goes well.

Have a good one.

Charlie

Doug, Wiley's BBQ is on the south end of Savannah toward Tybee Island. Well worth the stop!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. Monday is behind us, which always makes me smile. It's 40 in Louisville, going to 58 today with lots of sun. Should feel like spring, so I'm hoping to get outside and get a little natural vitamin D.

Tom (TC), I'll definitely pray for your DIL and the baby today. Knowing you live near Lexington, I know there is excellent medical care available, assuming she still lives in that area. I think this may be your first grandchild, is that right? Prepare to fall in love all over again.

JR, that dinner plate looks really good. I can't believe you included your bare feet there at the bottom of the shot. I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've ever seen your feet outside a pair of boots. :)

Doug, keep sending those Hilton Head reports. You busted your fanny for decades to reach retirement, and you absolutely deserve all the fun you can cram in at this stage of life. I love "going along" on your annual golf trips and with the Skruskes on their adventures out West. Makes me smile and gives me hope.

Speaking of Skruske, I love the vintage hunting camp photos he's posting. Yesterday's meat pole picture is about as classic as they get. And today's photo of the 19hp snow machine is amazing. Knowing how the snow gets up there, I'm surprised that thing could get out of its own way, much less carry anyone. I bet Scott has a snow thrower that has more than 19hp on its own. :)

MPC is it time to plant tomato seeds in the greenhouse? What's going in?

During our recent deep freeze, I went to get some venison breakfast sausage out of the refrigerator/freezer in my unheated garage. The dang sausage wasn't frozen, even though the rest of the venison in that freezer was hard as a rock. The freezer door was closed tight, so what's going on? It took me about a day, but I finally got the "problem" figured out. I'll let y'all noodle on that one and give you the answer later this week.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe today. JR, put some boots on before you go feed the cows. tc tom, we've prayed for your DIL and will continue to do so today. Keep us updated, OK?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 41º and sunny here headed for the low 60's. A lot of snow melted yesterday and the streets and roads are clear.

Yesterday's big chore was going to my buddy's seed place and picking up some more Sunflower seeds. The birds really hit them hard last week when the temps were in the single digits.

Not sure what todays plans are. I need to sweep the bark and debris up in the garage thats left over from having firewood stacked out there. We went through a lot of wood last week. The back porch is covered in Sunflower seed hulls and needs swept off too.

Prayers offered for TC Tom's DIL, Mr Murl, Mr Bruce and any others in need. And for our Country.

You'all have a good one.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Good morning...warming up nicely at 43° now here at the shop. Putting the end loader back together this morning, got all the new seals in just need to lift the quick detach head and get it pinned back on and weld the new outer doublers on to help keep the pins from beating out the holes. Got some tube cut as well to make the feed mixer arm taller as well....probably do that one day this week at the dairy.
Sized a few more pieces of .30-06 brass I found in a bag and got them tumbled along with some 6.5CM brass a buddy gave me last night before I went to bed. I need to fix the rear sling swivel on my little 700 .223 it pulled out of the stock this weekend so i'll see if some epoxy will work. If not I have the original stock for it, it's just full length and this one has been shortened and inch so it fit my daughter better. I found that it is really nice to carry since its so light and short....it may get cut down to 16" before it's over with.
I'm thinking about ordering this Chairpack to haul my caller in and it looks like the adjustable height would be great. My current chair is a turkey chair of some sort and is about 3 inches off the ground and pretty much shot. A lot of times it is too low and sits back to far.

I could get my calls and lights in the pack and not have them stuffed in pockets. Trying to carry a rifle, chair, call and shooting sticks can be a pain.

Hope everyone has a good day and prayers for TC Toms DIL!

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
44* on the way to 66*, bright sunshine. We had light rain showers on Sunday and then the sun and warm took away a bunch of the snow. About the only snow left is the piles or where the sun could not hit it.
Thank you all so much for the prayers that have come my way and I will need many more as time goes by. Right now I am doing OK, but the big high dollar shot did not do much to help me, still in pain and have to use a cane to get around. Will have to get back with orthopedic doctor and see what the next option will be.
I can not express just how much it means to me too have all you all thinking and praying for me, I try to keep up with the prayers for those on here and do for the most part, so here is my pledge. Prayers for all in need, with special prayer for TC Tom's DIL. I know just how that goes, my Granddaughter had a terrible time with the birth of her first one. That was a big fault of the Children's Mercy Hospital in K.C. MO., I won't go into that, but really bad.
Everybody have a great day and enjoy this Springtime type weather. God Bless.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Morning all, 54 headed to 60 today. Getting around very slowly as I took a fall on Sunday, foot took have a step when it should have took a full one and I was in motion. Sore today, lot of pain but not much more than normal. JR I am with you, I try to shoot one rifle and/or pistol every day except Sunday, making up for working too much for too many years. Wife and I are going to drag some big pieces of a tree that came down during the storm out of our yard with our 4 wheeler and burn them today. That and a little puttering in the shop. Dean I am working on rounding up the strange an unusual cartridges for your collection, will try to get them out this week. KF i am with the other poster when talking about sausage, I think that you had too much salt. I have never had that problem that it would not freeze, but that it took longer to freeze. Prayers for those that need them, and out country, Buff out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts