Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Lyman treated walnut in my vibratory tumbler. As that stuff wears down, I seem to get more and more fine red dust. I suspect it's some form of polishing rouge they add to the walnut.

When I remove brass from my tumbler, there's a fine red dust on it. I put the brass in a clean rag and rub it around to remove the dust from the outside. My question involves whether I'm hurting anything by leaving that fine film of dust on the inside of cases. It happens, obviously, on both straight-wall pistol brass as well as bottleneck rifle brass.

I guess the absolute surest answer is that I ought to run ALL the brass through a corncob tumble after the walnut. That ought to remove most of the red dust. I've got to where if brass is halfway clean, I don't tumble it anyway, so I absolutely hate having to tap-tap-tap rifle brass to get the walnut to dump out. If I had to do it twice, once with the walnut and then again with the cob, I think it'd drive me to drink ... even more than I already do.

I didn't dare post this question to Accurate Shooter because some of those guys are so anal that they'd probably ban me for even asking. But here on GoGo I know we have reloaders who cut corners themselves at times and have decided it doesn't make any damn difference.

So, whaddya think, am I OK ignoring the tiny amount of red dust on the inside of my brass?

·
Administrator
11,732 Posts
I doubt any fine dust inside will cause you grief. That red dust is annoying as hell. But throw that crap out and go to Harbor Freight and get the FINE walnut blasting media. A 20-25 lb bag will outlive you, leaves NO residue and won't plug up flash holes.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Pretty much what Charlie said. I usually use only fine treated corncob media, and use Lyman turbo polish on it, which is white. When it looks too dry or dusty, I also dribble in teaspoon or two of Hoppe's No.9 into the media, which helps clean and cuts the dust.

The abrasive on any of the polishing media should not hurt the brass or your dies, as long as you do not use any ammonia based polishes (like Brasso). Ammonia does affect the strength and fracture of brass (stress corrosion cracking) and should not use it. The red dust on your treated walnut media is usually a very fine red rouge polishing compound/abrasive.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
George, what was that stuff you used to put in the media? Seems like it was the stuff to polish cloudy headlight lenses...

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
The dryer sheets collect alot of dust but I still get alot inside the brass. Hasn't seemed to hurt any thing but still annoying. Some times I blow it out with air but not always. Seems the walnut cleans brass better than corn cob though, so I guess I'll stick with it till what I have is gone.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I forgot to mention about the dryer sheets. I use about 1.5" wide strip of a paper towel rather than the dryer sheet. It circulates around while tumbling, and cleans the dust from the bowl and the media. Then toss them after a few cycles and use another. IMO, the walnut does clean better, but the corncob polishes better.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I doubt the dust is anything to worry about but it is a Little annoying. I started out using walnut media and it does a really good job but the dust was too much For me. I used strips of paper towels to get rid of some of it but eventually, I changed over to corn cob media with a little added liquid polish. If I pick up some range brass or have a batch that is particularly dirty, I will use the ultrasonic to clean it and then polish it in the tumbler.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't think the dust inside of the case will hurt anything but you are wise for wiping it off of the outside. I've switched over to corncob when I dry tumble. I add a splash of mineral spirits and a cap full of liquid car polish and run it until its mixed. This won't clean a dirty grubby case like walnut does but it puts a polish on ordinary brass.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just don't use walnut. I do use some stuff that looks like abrasive from sand blasters. That is probably what JR asked about and I don't know the name either. Cleans and I add a little New Finish car wax for polishing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Run it outside without the top on for a while......I've even put a little fan blowing across the top of the tumbler while it's working to help the dust move along.....Do it while you're tumbling a load of brass.

·
Registered
977 Posts
First I soak the cases in IOSSO liquid or KABOOM(household cleaner). This process up front
will remove all the powder on the necks that dry media wont touch, plus cuts tumbling time in half.
My media is half corn cob/walnut combination, w/IOSSO liquid polish on the media. This will make your brass look like gold. It won't make you shoot better,
it's just a feel good thing. LDS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts