Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sorry, no cats in the house, only Basset Hounds,

but for a liquid case cleaner, in the past I've had good luck using creme of tarter mixed with vinegar (1 tblsp to 2 qts) . Slosh the cases around in the mix for about 3 to 5 minutes, then rinse in warm water and spread out on a towel to dry, or put in the oven at low heat (the sun works good to.....when it's out).

Works well, cases come out bright and shiny, but don't leave in the solution too long.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Walnut

All I use anymore is crushed walnut shells, you can get it at the pet store. It works great and a bag will last for half of forever. I add a couple tablespoons of bore cleaner, usually Hoppes or Butches when it seems to loose it's cleaning ability.
When it gets real dirty just toss is and replenish. I've tried a lot of different methods and I like walnut sheels best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
walnuts & wax

I too use crushed walnut hulls from a pet store (for lizards or parakets) and I add just a little Johnsons turtle wax (green stuff) and a little mineral spirits (get the low odor kind), both of these can be had at most hardware stores. I usurally ad the ingredents a few minutes before I add the brass and it really cleans and shines them up.
Fred

·
Registered
580 Posts
1qt. white vinegar
1 drop dish soap
2 scoops oxy-clean
Tumble or swish or whatever for 4 minutes
Remove, rinse and place brass in oven,bring oven to 200 degees and turn it off and let brass stay in the oven while it cools and dries.
Works wonders on carbon inside and in primer pocket and I have seen no ill results to brass as to hardness. It will turn brass dark if you let it stay in solution too long.
Usually comes out bright and clean but if needed, you can tumble in media for a few minutes to polish.
Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
I run two vibrators for cleaning. The first is used with corn cob that I buy at the pet store as litter for bird cages. I add some Hoppes # 9 to the corn cob as well. The second vibrator is used with walnut shells for polishing with no additives. Once through the corn cob and then through the walnut and the brass usally looks like new.

·
Registered
928 Posts
crushed walnut for me too, corn was not aggressive enough for me. That combined with liquid brass polish and my cases come out great. The second step with corn became too much to bother with and I just tumble my cases a little longer in walnut media and I am good to go.
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.