Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys get involved in accuracy shooting of your rimfire rifles? We tune the range rifles by separating by rim thickness ahead of time and then with the tuner at the range. You’d be amazed by the difference it makes. $8.00 per 50 ammo can win against the high priced stuff on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That's a hamster wheel I don't want to get on, rimfire benchrest. I know a guy who won the Nationals one year, and then, for twenty-plus years, had nothing but headaches messing with them. He finally gave up and went exclusively to centerfire, saying it was more predictable. He spent a couple of fortunes chasing "good" lot numbers of pricey ammo, and gave up.
He still uses Lilja barrels, like he had on his rimfire gun, but only in centerfire. He's still a highly ranked national shooter, and shoots nearly every weekend. Just not rimfire stuff.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is where I get to differ with you, Glenn. We have rimfire rifles for comp and they have our Gene Beggs tuners on them. We rim thickness sort thousands of rounds and group them in boxes of identical rim thickness as measured by our rim thickness gauge. These rifles, so equipped and prepared, shoot lights out against more expensive rifles using more expensive ammo. Cost or price doesn’t make something better and experience and time in work up is the equalizer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
FB, your PM got me to thinking about thickness gauges, there are a lot of choices out there. what do you recommend?

This morning I talked to the guy here about their winter league. I think it is something I need to get involved with.

Ken

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I agree with Glenn. I chose to not go into RF BR. I shot RF silhouette for a few years, and chasing an ammo that was always a moving target. Switched to DCM/High Power and then reloading for CF. Shooting PDs was even more fun.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is where I get to differ with you, Glenn. We have rimfire rifles for comp and they have our Gene Beggs tuners on them. We rim thickness sort thousands of rounds and group them in boxes of identical rim thickness as measured by our rim thickness gauge. These rifles, so equipped and prepared, shoot lights out against more expensive rifles using more expensive ammo. Cost or price doesn’t make something better and experience and time in work up is the equalizer.
+1

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
To measure rim thickness to .000 take a fired .223 remington with the primer removed. Measure OAL with calipers, zero the caliper and then insert the .22 rimfire bullet down and measure with zeroed calipers. The reading is your rim thickness. Cheap, down and dirty.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Pretty slick, that is T.D.C.

·
Administrator
2,852 Posts
What is the cheapest 22LR ammo you recommend to rim sort and use for accuracy? I like Tin Man shot silhouette for a few years and for the same reason got out of it. It seems as sorting would help for Sporter Rifle shooting also which I am still interested in.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
CCI SV is a go to for many around here. For HV the CCI mini mags seem popular. I didn't have too much luck. Stay away from anything Winchester or Browning (made by Win). If you can find a can of SK Magazine it is a step up.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
You have to find what ammo your rifle likes, then sort if desired. Back in that day, my Silhouette rifle liked Win T-22 for inexpensive SV ammo. It was under $2 back then. CCI-SV was a close second, as was Aguila SE. My Hunter rifle, a Rem 541-S liked the same ammo, and did great with CCI Mini-Mags (HV). The most consistent HV I ever found was Fiocchi Biathlon (F340?), but it was 2-3x the cost and hard to find. And if you find a box that your rifle likes, buy a case, because the ammo changes from lot to lot. I tried some real high end ammo like Eley Ten-X, RWS R50, etc., but that was cost prohibitive even when it was only $10 a box. The good old days, as they say.

Since the 22lr ammo has changed so much in the last few years it is incredible.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You have to find what ammo your rifle likes, then sort if desired. Back in that day, my Silhouette rifle liked Win T-22 for inexpensive SV ammo. It was under $2 back then. CCI-SV was a close second, as was Aguila SE. My Hunter rifle, a Rem 541-S liked the same ammo, and did great with CCI Mini-Mags (HV). The most consistent HV I ever found was Fiocchi Biathlon (F340?), but it was 2-3x the cost and hard to find. And if you find a box that your rifle likes, buy a case, because the ammo changes from lot to lot. I tried some real high end ammo like Eley Ten-X, RWS R50, etc., but that was cost prohibitive even when it was only $10 a box. The good old days, as they say.

Since the 22lr ammo has changed so much in the last few years it is incredible.

The newest prices on the "good" ammo is almost $23/box, for Lapua Xact or like quality. Scandalous, if you ask me. I always feel guilty when I buy a box of Lapua Pistol King (superb stuff in my 452 American) and it's half that price.

In all honesty, I have as much or more fun shooting Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity in my boltguns. It stays around a half-inch at 50 yards, all I can ask of it, and the price was right when I bought it last year. (Midsouth had it on sale for $180/case, and I stocked up).
Geco Semi-Auto is another good one in the right rifle, my 512 Carbine averages .368" at 50 yards, not too bad for less than $30/brick.
I always hate myself when I splurge a bit and buy Lapua, but it sure shoots. I just can't see myself spending $1000/case for anything, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts