Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The universal case holder off my Lyman case trimmer was a perfect "tail stock" fit to my MSC case preparation lathe...up to now (that is).

The rim of 45-70 cases is just big enough that the collet will not accept them. But, the (Lyman) case trimmer tool is decades old, and maybe they have revised it to fit some of the (now) really big cases, e.g., 50 BMG, etc.

Does anyone know if that LYMAN style (tail stock) universal case holder will accommodate the 45-70 rim??

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Not sure about the Lyman. I have a Forster Power Trimmer that I use with my drill press, and Forester have several different size multi-step collets, and there is one that fits 45-70. I can dig out the collet number out from the dungeon if you need more, or check out their website.

Here is a link of a picture of the Forster Collet:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/original-power-case-trimmer-collets/

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My old one would not fit 45-70's. I don't know if the newer ones will either. I just bought the Lee case gauge thing, the lock stud and the cutter. It was about $12 and it works well. I use a cordless drill to turn it.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not sure about the Lyman. I have a Forster Power Trimmer that I use with my drill press, and Forester have several different size multi-step collets, and there is one that fits 45-70. I can dig out the collet number out from the dungeon if you need more, or check out their website.

Here is a link of a picture of the Forster Collet:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/original-power-case-trimmer-collets/[/QUOTE]

Ah! U da man! I'll give Forster a call come Monday and see what can be worked out (i.e., marrying their case holder to the tail stock (think a 1/4" hole with the centerline = the centerline of the chuck).

Ultimately, an all in one 3-way cutter (case trim, de-bur, and chamfer) like the RCBS .224" cutter (below) only for 45 cal cases is what I'm after.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Paul, I think you could use the biggest part of the Power Trimmer and chuck it into your lathe. The 45-70 uses the #4 collet. Look at the pictures of the Power Trimmer - the whole device. You might have to make the shaft to fit the collet, not sure from the design of the Lyman. If you have a drill press, it might be simpler/easier to just buy the whole Power Trimmer.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Paul, I think you could use the biggest part of the Power Trimmer and chuck it into your lathe. The 45-70 uses the #4 collet. Look at the pictures of the Power Trimmer - the whole device. You might have to make the shaft to fit the collet, not sure from the design of the Lyman. If you have a drill press, it might be simpler/easier to just buy the whole Power Trimmer.
Yep! We're on the same line of thinking.

In the mean time, I stumbled onto the fact that Forster is practically in my back yard! So, I gave them a call, talked to a guy named SCOTT, and next Tuesday I'm going to take my MCS lathe over there and he and I can mix n match - figure out what I need to do to make this case prep quest work for 45-70 like we do for BR cases.

And, I agree w/ you that I might easily make a tail stock fixture to mate with their existing power trimmer collet fixture. Plus, after all, it is a lathe we're talking about! If I have to, I can get some drill stock and turn out at lest some pieces myself, or modify those that I can purchase and cut them to spec that way.

Not exactly ROCKET SCIENCE, I realize. But, to be creating tooling to BR prep cases for a caliber that seems to be neglected (for the most part) when it comes to BR level of precision...is kinda like discovering and exploring that "deer trail"...is kinda fun. And, who knows: it might help someone else out that might want to wear buckskins and compete with or want to compete with the single shot 45-70 Sharps or one of the 1886 "High Wall" guns (or the like).

I'll follow up after visiting Forster's factory, come Tuesday week!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.