Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about finished with my OLL build for here in Kalif. Now I need to start thinking about the upper that best suits my needs. This rifle will be used for hunting ground squirrels and rock chucks out here in the West, so a scope is primary. However, I am not blind to the needs of a SHTF/post Katrina culture where open sight are needed. Can you folks offer some suggestions about how I should go? As usual, money is a consideration around here. God bless...
Gary

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are asking:confused:
Starting with a 20"flatop and adding tall scope rings works great for getting started.You can add a handle or sights when funds allow.If you go with a cheaper fixed handle upper in the first place mounting a scope is possible but not as handy, reliable or cosmetic. IMHO

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I wish I had pics, but I don't. You can either mount or have handy all manner of Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS). They come in fold down type front and rear so you can mount them and forget them. I have the mounted on my RRA 20" heave barrel and just mounted the scope so it cleared the rear sight.

Here is a good post on AR15 that tells a lot about them and you can get input on which brands and who sells them. 11 pages of more information than you thought you wanted to know:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206233

·
Registered
928 Posts
The great thing about an AR system is that you can build a dedicated hunting upper which has a scope and then add a 16inch upper for home defense if need be. I would consider getting a flat top upper with a 20 or 24 inch barrel and then a 16inch flat top with removeable carry handle so you can have iron sights or add a red dot sight system to it.
Ken

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...

for the effort to reply. I appreciate the info. Merry Christmas!
Gary
<><

·
Registered
341 Posts
SHTF/Post Katrina?

Gary I don't understand the comment about the SHTF/post Katrina?

could you enlighten me please.

I personaly would use a flat top upper with picatinny frint gas black and if the need ofr iron sites arises then you can easly put a set of BUIS on with a simple thumb screw setup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts