Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Target/Varmint stock.

Now.... how to deal with it. Stain? Oil? Clear Coat? Peter Max Paint Job?

Decisions, decisions..!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Those finish up nice

I really like the color. I finished one of these for my youngest's 22-250. It finished real nice.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
I just finish sanded and put on about 30 coats of tru oil. Finish with wax. I might find the photos in the puter somewhere and post. It went back to school with the kid to shoot woodchucks in West Virginia this spring. The AG department at WVU has some pretty big fields out there.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
That's a beauty! Boy...It's kinda like a blank piece of paper, ain't it? I mean, it's just waiting for the right scheme to bring the beauty to a peak!

I saw a Boyd's that was stained with a red color of some sort that turned out to be beautiful! Then True Oil. (BTW, I've used True Oil for almost 30 years, finished in both high gloss and satin finish, and it NEVER took 30 coats to get there! ('Bout 10-15 coats at most - as many as 3 coats can be applied in a single day, in my experience)

P.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've done 3 Boyd's stocks

All finished very nice with Tru Oil. I use Johnson's paste wax on them after they cure fully and the wax really makes them look great. I finished two of them in a matte finish and one in gloss. They are a great product in my opinion. I've heard some negative things about them, but for the money, I think they are tough to beat:cool: I think most of them I put on about 10 coats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts