Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just love the passionate responses that flare up when the subject of "barrel break in" is posted. I was impressed by Hu and others use of Lock-Ease as part of the break in procedure.
I would assume that each time a barrel is cleaned down to bare metal or as close as possible to that condition an application of Lock-Ease would be done before firing a round.
I have always heard that you should have no solvent or oil in a barrel before firing a shot and that the purpose of "fouler shots" was to burn off any residues and lay down some carbon.
It would seem that an application of Lock-Ease would reduce the need for a fouler.
What is the correct procedure for applying Lock-Ease during break in and subsequently after normal cleaning?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Correct, I use the liquid Lock-Eze, and just put a few drops on a patch and run it thru. When I'm at a match, I use the same patch for the Lock-Eze all day. Never shoot a dry bore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lock- eze

I use one patch with LEze after cleaning, then a dry patch. Seems to keep the first shot in there.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
clean dry bores

Surely you had to laugh at my one attempt at shootng down a clean dry bore. What a mess! Excess amounts of anything in the bore can lead to a disaster but always treat with something even if just one or two drops of oil on a patch so it barely leaves a film behind.

I do use the Lock-Ease after every cleaning. I use it before putting a rifle away and then again before shooting the rifle next time out too just in case I forgot or something else managed to get in the bore.

One major advantage of Lock-Ease was mentioned by JRose, it will move the first shots closer to the group and often reduces the number of fouling shots needed. Typically I find the first fouler is only half as far out as it is without Loc-Ease. Not typical but I have had a barrel that I could shoot every shot for record, no fouling shots needed if I used Lock-Ease. Without it the first shot was only 1/4 to 3/8 out at 100 but that is a bunch sometimes.

An aside here, I have found that with a good rifle and set-up the fouling shots are very consistent as to which direction they fly and how far. It is very possible to allow for this if we choose.

Hu

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lock -ease

I know a very sucessful shooter who explains, the Lock-ease liquid will evaperate leaving a little graphite in in the barrel to help the first shot down the barrel. Personally I have never had a barrel that would place the first shot inside a.1/2 group on a regular bases so what can the Lock-ease hurt and it may save a few rounds on the life of the barrel:) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts