Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I pushed a 40 grain VMax out of a 12" twist 22-250 Ackley Imp. at a tad over 4500 fps. It not only didn't come apart, I covered that three-shot group at 265 yards with a quarter. So much for the overspin theory. Took me awhile and a few misses going high to learn that no holdover was required on eastern chucks.

At that time I had several boxes of Sierra 45 grain Spitzers that I wanted to try out in that rifle. I emailed Sierra and asked if they knew how fast I could push that bullet in a 12" twist before it came apart. The guy at Sierra wrote back and said nobody really knows, so go ahead and try it and let them know what happens.

Lotta questions out there just waiting for practical answers from us tinkerers, which is okay by me and a good bit of the fun of handloading.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Make that 3 of us

I had the 50's a tad under 4300 in the 22-243 that I used to have and never had them come apart.... till they hit a crow or 'chuck, then they came apart.... trust me. WD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, Im going to try them in a 22-250AI for chucks this year. Its kinda hard to do load development in 12 degree weather. I cant wait to see some chucks. Ollie

·
Registered
148 Posts
how fast they blow up

how fast is related not only to speed but twist rate as well. Slower twist can shoot them faster with less chance of blowing them up. In a 12 twist at 4,000 fps the bullets spin at 240,000 rpm. In 9.125 twist they are spinning 315,616 rpm. It's the rpm that blows them up. Varmint Al did calculations on the Nosler Balistic Tips that showed you could hit about 420,000 rpm before they start to fail. Well over 5,000 fps in factory twists but in a 7 twist 4,000 fps is close.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Theo,
Pushing a bullet at 4,500 fps through a 12 twist is really not spinning the bullet that fast. You have the same spin rate that you would get with an 8 twist barrel at 3000 fps. The 80 gr. bullets that I`m pushing at just over 3,500 fps are spinning faster than you lite bullets. I`m doing that with a .22-6mm.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I pushed the 32 gr. V-Max bullets in excess of 4,400 fps out of the barrel of my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger back in the summer of 2004. NO BLOWUPS!!! That was a hot load for sure!!! My working load for prairie dogs was at 4,255 fps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.