Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend wanting to trade me this carbine towards a jon boat I have for sale. I have little experience with carbines, have not seen this one yet, but here is his general description of it. I no longer need the boat, but don't need a clunker gun either. TIA

"M1 carbine- General Motors-Temple Inland- with bayonet/scabbard-quite a few clips of 5/10/15- Its a decent rig- not too special, but not ragged out- just a common M1 .30cal. It should be worth $600.00 to $750.00"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Carbines have enjoyed a lot of collector interest over the last few years and values have risen dramatically. Condition and originality being of greatest importance. Determining originality is difficult for the non-expert as there were so many contractors and sub-contractors and sharing of parts that went on that it can be very confusing. You might try posting this rifles particulars over at http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=110 Very knowledgeable and helpful people there. I'm no expert and can't say as to value but I do know that the Civilian Marksmanship Program is about to offer something like 30K carbines for sale and it is unknown what this might do to current "collector" prices. HTH http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/index.htm

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Bruce, I have one of the Inland Carbines; gave $50 for it many years ago; Last gun show they were in the $650 range; unless it was a Winchester these go for about a G. This one has the older Button Safety; have a newer version with the flip safety. The Inland one does Not have the bayonett lug. Can you imagine trying to Stick some one with one of these little guys????

·
Registered
446 Posts
For TOP dollar the carbine better be..

.. in top condition. What you see advertised and what people actually get is vastly different. I got an Underwood, armory reword no doubt, with all the parts, and payed $300 for it. That was more than it should be worth. Also, have a IJ all Stainless Steel current reproduction (well maybe from 10-12 years ago) and it's worth maybe $300. These carbines are not a rarely and the collecters value depends on many subtleties. Bare in mind the true 'collectables' are already in someone's gunsafe. For for a 'shooter' these little wonders are fun indeed. I bought my SS to convert to a 19cal Carbine, which was concocted many years ago slaying Richardson Ground Squirrels in Montana along side old James Calhoon. We were shooting as fast as one can imagine! Yes, that round was my idea more then a year before James and his local buddy took the initiative to see it to ffinal ruition. Nothing new really, the 30cal carbine has been necked from 14 to 7mm and everything in between. Way overlooked case- it's truly a high performance round rated at higher pressure than one would suspect. Interestly enough, the 357 Magnum and 30 Carbine share identical rim, head, web, lower body dimensions, and not just rare coincidence. which came first? The 20cal carbine with the action totally reworked by a pro and a match barrel would make one dandy rapid fire PD/GS truck gun! That's why I've held on to my IJ stainless for all these years.

.. Just make certain the rifle you're looking to trade functions well and is not worn out.

.. Practically speaking, with the 85-90 grain HP's, the 30cal Carbine is one fine close encounter situation varmint rifle.

.. Ok, I'll quit rambling now. Enjoy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
BCP, thanks for correcting me. Actually, I never compared the dimensions of the two cartridges, just took someones word for it. They're in the 'business' in a big way so I had no real reason to question. Gosh it's strange to think that I've what I thought was accurate wasn't for almost ten years!

Would you mind to post the drawing of a 32WSL just for closer comparison?

Thanks again for setting the record straights.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't have a 32 WSL diagram

32 WSl measurements from "Cartridges of the World":

Rim 0.388

Neck 0.343

Base 0.346

Length 1.28

http://www.allaboutguns.com/viewtopic.php?p=19342&sid=9d748a55814be669f12a74ace5c33f9c

" The .32 WSL is roughly equivalent to the M1 Carbine round, though the two are not interchangeable. Interestingly, the .32 WSL was the basis for what was later adopted as the .30 M1 Carbine round. In fact, some very early M1 Carbine rounds, used in testing, still bore the .32 WSL headstamp. These are highly desirable collector rounds."

http://members.tripod.com/~waycool_dude/mikesguns.html

"It shoots the .30 Carbine cartridge, which initially was just a modified commercial Winchester .32 WSL cartridge."

http://www.pmulcahy.com/ammunition/medium-caliber_small_arms_rounds.htm

"This led to the M-1 Carbine series, and the ammunition developed for it, the .30 Carbine cartridge. It is a modification of the .32 Winchester Self Loading design."

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good grief, I must have been asleep during my both earlier responses, or more truefully had a real honest to goodness senior moment. Now I remember, the 357 Mag was the bases for the 223 Win. How I managed to get the little 30 Carbine into that sernario who knows? Nonetheless, I HAVE learned something from you about the 30 Carbine and its' parent the 32 WSL.

Thanks for that lesson, BCP, really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.