Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to be going back over 30 yrs, this is going to hurt. I have had a buddy, that I introduced to shooting in the 70's, hunting, trapping, fishing, spearing, bull frogging, you name it. We were pretty much inseperable. We probably drank our first beer together. We were nearly "siamese twins". We shared a PD hunt in the early '80's, before it was "fashionable". We were one of the "first's" to hunt deer in Iowa w/ a muzzle-loader. We fought like brothers, sometimes w/ fists. But, within a few days, we were "brothers" again. We were always there for each other, no matter what! This morning, I rec'd a phone call, It was my buddy "Lars", he had "some bad news", I expected that one of his parents had fallen "ill", not to be. My buddy (read little brother) has cancer, terminal cancer. I am totally destroyed by the news. I am not looking for any sympathy, If you were to pray for Lars, I would be greatly appreciative. I have been friends w/ this guy for over 30yrs., and I can't imagine living with-out him. Thanks, for reading, Russ
'

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Prayers...Lars has mine.

Very sorry to hear that. Of course we'll pray for him - his comfort and assurance, and yours. But, he ain't gone yet, so I suggest you find some ways to spend what time you have together and see what you/we can do in the mean time to ease his troubled mind. Miricles DO happen, BTW. It ain't over till it's over! God bless Lars and his family and you.

P.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've been in a situation very similar to yours.

You WILL get over it, but you will always miss him. ALWAYS!
I had a slightly younger friend that I mentored thru his teen years. The whole ball of wax. Hunting, shooting, cars, bikes, girls, wives, etc. We worked at same place. Bought homes in the same developement. Divorced and remarried around the same timeframe. You name it, we did it togeather. We had work attendance problems due to excessive drinking. I stopped, he didn't and he was fired. A short time later, he had a massive stroke at the young age of 30. I was a wreck for a little while, but time healed things. I didn't get to say goodby. Hopefully, you will be able to do that. It will hurt, but do it. Good Luck Sir. Prayers happening! Bill...........

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Old Friends

Akita , your situation got me to thinking of an old friend who passed away a few years ago . He was a Gunsmith and Machist in Michigan for many Decades . I used to head West across Canada , meet him in Michigan and then take his 4 Wheeler to hunt Pdogs in SD , Wyoming , and Montana. Earls personality was the opposite of mine , but we got along just fine . Earl loved hunting woodchucks . As a kid of about 12 , he would often take off Friday afternoon , hitch a ride with a delivery truck , go 50 miles out in the boonies , shoot woodchucks and hitch a ride back late Sundays . Can't imagine anything like that today ! One Summer , Earl gave me a lot of his fishing Tackle . When I asked him why , he just shrugged and said he did'nt use it much anymore . We went fishing that Summer and I noticed spots all over his skin when he took off his shirt ...he said it was Allergies . I talked to him on the phone that November , and he said he was out hunting deer . One week later he called me and said he had a form of Cancer and was getting Chemo . He pulled thru that , and said his Doctor was going to drastically up the Dose . Two weeks later he was gone . I miss him a lot ! PW had some good advice : make the most of the time you have left .

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll say a prayer for you both. I lost my long time and closest friend, a brother, last year. I miss him terribly and think of him daily. There will always be something that happens during the day that brings back a memory. Enjoy your brother while you can. May God bless.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you...

I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. I don't "deal" with these things as well as some. It will take a few days to get over the shock. I am planning on spending as much time as I can with him, hope to do some fishing as soon as it warms-up. Once again, thanks to all of you. God bless. Russ

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow. I honestly don't know what to say other than I'm sorry about the news and the whole situation.

My thoughts will be with you and your "brother". It's never too late to hope for a miracle, but sometimes that's enough to make a strong friendship even stronger. Be with your friend and enjoy as many adventures as possible before the call is answered. Surely you will value those adventures even more than others. Be strong for your friend and make his remaining time as enjoyable as possible.

My sincerest and deepest regards,
Steve

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
God bless ya and Lars, Akita...I'd miss.........and probaby will be missing, some that I have now......maybe soon, too soon......maybe it will be us soon, who knows. Prayers for you both and the families. Tomorrow is promised to no one.......

·
Registered
233 Posts
Prayers sent for you and your friend.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Know where you are coming from. I am the guy who boought the brass and dies. I have lost 2 close friends like that and they both seemed like brothers to me. I now have no one to go hunting and fishing with . I will sure pray for you and your friend in the times to come.
Pigpen
pigpen,

I sympathize for your loss. At the risk of meddling, might I suggest that you find a young hunter or fisherman to mentor? It could be the most rewarding thing you'll ever do, on many different levels.

Akita,

My hopes that the time you have remaining to spend with your friend will make his burden a bit lighter, and though bittersweet, will provide you good memories in years to come.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Prayers sent for your friend Lars

and for you. Very tough thing to go thru but he is lucky to have a friend like you to help him thru it.

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.