Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Wow!

"Quite an experience" he said. That's putting it mildly!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I shot my boar bruin on my moose hunt in Alberta (2 years ago), and we were busy skinning him, a sow and two cubs came in from our upwind side. A fellow on the hunt with me picked up the only rifle, (mine) and leveled at the bear. She was about 70 yards away and broke into a fast charge at the movement. I told him not to shoot and the guide and I started yelling and waving our arms. She broke the charge off at 30 yards, mostly because her cubs got afraid, squealed and turned around to leave her. That one was interesting. She was a good side bear too - equal in size to the boar. The guide was scared (the pussy insisted we take only one ham from the boar and then get out of there fast), but for some reason I wasnt too worried - perhaps I could tell it was going to be a false charge from the way the sow approached. She simply didnt know what we were, and assumed we were other bears or wolves. She thought her bluff would run us off. Their eyesight is awful.

Of course, these were black bears. Had they been griz like in the video I think the pucker factor would have been there in spades.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How many times...

have we've been PD shoot'n and have one of sabre tooth giant varmints sneak to six o'clock! The PD's I can deal with, but those kamikaze krows!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like they did the only thing they could. Not much time to fire a "warning" shot in those conditions. Too bad they had to kill her, and it was obviously not the intent of the hunt.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Can't view the video !

I've downloaded their stupid #%^(* Flash Player update three &##$% times, and the *&^%$ thing still won't play. What am I doing *^%$# wrong? :mad:

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bad situation. But they handled it ethically, and, as far as the guide goes, professionally. If it had been up to me, I'd have shot sooner. As you saw, even though the sow took a solid hit, she still had time to turn and run another 20 or 30 yards. I suppose she still coud have continued her charge, and that poor guide would have been road kill.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Unfortunate, but they handled it well..........

You could hear the disappointment in the guide having to shoot her at 8 yds.

As poor as their eyesight is, she apparently had seen enough of those three "blobs" atop the sand dune, and made up her mind to charge, maul, and ask questions later.

Hell hath no fury like an angry sow with cubs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a shame, but at that point they had no choice left, you could tell he really didn't like what happened.

So when you hunt griz...should you take a spare set of shorts? :eek:

·
Registered
726 Posts
As you saw, even though the sow took a solid hit, she still had time to turn and run another 20 or 30 yards. I suppose she still coud have continued her charge, and that poor guide would have been road kill.
I think at that point she realized that they were humans, and not some other bears or wolves. Too bad that one of them could not have got a warning shot off. Besides the guide and the hunter, I see there was a third person with a shotgun, most likely loaded with slugs.

Still, though, the Bear must have heard the other two earlier shots. So I guess that warning shots would not have necessarily helped.

The most fascinating thing here is to read the comments post for this video. The venom and hatred expressed towards the hunters in the messages there is really quite something to witness.

It was also interesting to see that YouTube filters English swear words out with asterisks. While posts in Spanish that had all of the same swear words, were basically missed because they were the Spanish equivalent.

All in all, not good PR for the sport of hunting.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
206 Posts
It was also interesting to see that YouTube filters English swear words out with asterisks. While posts in Spanish that had all of the same swear words, were basically missed because they were the Spanish equivalent.

All in all, not good PR for the sport of hunting.

Lance in Orygun[/QUOTE]

They didnt filter Sadams mangled neck. Awesome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts