Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
V-Max vs SPSX

The V-Max is more explosive and can be driven at a higher speeds. Having said that the SPSX is about all I use in my .222 and .223's other than the Speer TNT. I find that the SPSX is just as accurate and several dollars a box cheaper than the V-Max. The SPSX has very good performance on Coyotes.

Another very good bullet in the same catagory is the Sierra Blitz (not to be confused with the Blitzking).

·
Registered
85 Posts
The v-max is a shure varmint killer. From the 35gr in a hornet to the 60gr in a 22-250 you cant go wrong. They are very accurate and look cool , very important, the sx are good imo but the v-max is king. Ollie

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have about 2000

of the 50 grain sx's left from about 1970. They were all we shot in the 223's for LOTS of years. Great on coyotes and PD's. We used to get 223 military stuff and pull the bullets, insert a 50 grain sx and go to the PD fields. They worked great (and still do).:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
While were talking about hornady bullets...

I've got a couple questions too.

What's the difference, besides a few grains weight, between the V-max and A-max (.22 caliber for example).

Also, in a .222-.223 calling rifle, which bullet would be your bullet of choice for coyotes? I've been using noslers for years, but may switch over to hornady bullets to save a penny or three if they group reasonably well. I had good results with the 40 v-max/.223 on coyotes last weekend, but the small sample of animals may not accurately represent normal performance. I'm looking for DRT & minimal pelt damage, yup a perfect bullet:D .

·
Registered
65 Posts
hornady V-Max

I have used the Hornacy 40 grain V-Max in one of my carry 223 rifles for years. I have taken several at 200 yards plus with the 40 grain V-max. Now mind you I do not hunt in alot of wind most of the time. Most of my shot are from 100 to 150 yards. The 40 grain V-max dropes them without any problems. Take care and I hope this helps. Ghost

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have used the 50gr SX in both the 222 and 223 and love it and they are a good deal cheaper, the SX out of the 222 that I had was very accurate and deadly explosive on groundhogs, I presently use the 40gr V-Max in my 223 and its very accurate as well, I also used the 40gr Nosler BT in my hornet and it killed groundhogs surprisingly quick and easy.
________
Honda NSR150

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 50 gr v-max is very accurate in both my .223 and 22-250. I haven't shot the SX, maybe I should try them. The v-max is very explosive on pd's and is super accurate, so my decision was made for me. I tried the v-max in my .204, but I haven't gotten them to shoot near as well as a blitzking. The v-max is cheaper, but the blitzking is much more accurate. I'll probably keep trying until I use up my v-max bullets, and consider that decision final too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.