Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That looks like a pretty good deal to me. Not knowing anything about it that is. Would like to hear from someone that has it to see what you think of their service. Any special equipment needed? I have a cable modem with my ISP already. Thanks for your time guys,

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have had it since it came out. I left one of my land lines with Verizon just to compare services. After about 18 months I just switched the remaining land line to Vonage. Hands down its better.
I can follow my calls on the internet, check who had called and the service is both cheaper and includes all of the extra features that standard land line companies charge extra for.
I say give it a try, best part is that you get to keep your existing phone number.
Ken

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried it a couople of years ago and didn't like it. 911 didn't have your address and two family members could not call our number for some reason. They might have improved things since then.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When you sign up for Vonage, you have a choice to register with 911 in order for your "virtual" telephone number to broadcast a location if you dial 911. Once you select a phone number or roll your existing number to Vonage, you are asked via e-mail to register for 911 service, takes a couple of business days.
Ken

G

·
Vonage User

I've been a Vonage customer for over a year and cannot complain. I did the same thing Ken (NYCSTRIPES) did, except I only kept my land line for a month to be sure the Vonage service was everything it's cracked up to be. After one month I discontinued my land line, but my wife & I kept our cell phones in the event the cable service was interrupted (which will shut down your VoIP phone). Worst case? You try it and don't like it. You can go back to your land line, but I don't think you will.

V1

·
Registered
67 Posts
My girlfriend just got it and is trying to get rid of it already. It is hard to get rid of, around here anyhow. She hates it and so do I. When I call, it goes direct to some idiot type of answering machine, does not even ring in her house. She is going back to verizon on the 9th, having the vonage thing for just 2 weeks. And she has actually spent more than the 2 weeks trying to cancel, having changed her mind after signing up for it. Don't know how it works elsewhere, but that is how it has been for us. I know after this 2 week expermint I will never consider it myself. Of course I am not a big phone talker or user either.
Barry

·
Registered
928 Posts
My girlfriend just got it and is trying to get rid of it already. It is hard to get rid of, around here anyhow. She hates it and so do I. When I call, it goes direct to some idiot type of answering machine, does not even ring in her house. She is going back to verizon on the 9th, having the vonage thing for just 2 weeks. And she has actually spent more than the 2 weeks trying to cancel, having changed her mind after signing up for it. Don't know how it works elsewhere, but that is how it has been for us. I know after this 2 week expermint I will never consider it myself. Of course I am not a big phone talker or user either.
Barry
Barry
when you first activate a Vonage account, the system automatically defaults you to the internet answering service. This can be easily changed by going to your online Vonage account home page and turning their answering machine off.
FWIW, I have also heard its pretty hard to terminate an account, but I am not looking to.
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.