Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself tool saavy, but I keep seeing ads for "Hammer Drills" in tool catalogs & sale flyers.

Did I miss the guy memo on these things? What are they?

Clem:confused:

·
Registered
460 Posts
The hammer drills I know of are for drilling holes in concrete walls or floors for anchor bolt inserts. Generally use a carbide tipped drill bit and have a bit of a jack hammer action along with the rotary drilling action.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bosch SDS

Are the best rotary hammers out there. They are rated in BPM beats per minute. The more the better. The SDS system is a quick change chuck. You can zip holes in concrete for redhead ram sets or moly bolts. Milwaukee and DeWalt are good too. Regular Jacobsen chucks are to be avoided on a rotary hammer if possible. You will be quite aware if you hit rebar. It will ruin your arm and your bit. Hope this helps you. They are wonderful tools. If you ever need to anchor something to a concrete wall or floor hammerdrills are the shiznit.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
There's a difference.........between "hammer drills", and "rotary hammers", or "roto-hammers". usually as T.Zimm mentioned, the roto-hammer uses an SDS chuck, or maybe a tapered chuck. The hammer drill uses a typical Jacobs chuck. The roto-hammers hit much harder, and are for concrete use. Most hammer drills are more for cinderblock, and other "softer" materials, and use masonry bits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts