Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sept. 1 '06 I had my cc # hijacked, and the bad guys made a couple of charges. One of them we got reversed by the actual retailer. The other, which occured within 30 minutes of the first, and from the same office bldg., in Ohio, the retailer would not reverse. We immediately cancelled the card # and got a new card. On Sept. 21 we also sent a letter to VISA asking for the charge to be reversed. (they don't accept emails, or phone calls for this). The charge is still on our account, and though we've sent 3 additional letters, we have not heard back from them. Now, our new # has been hijacked, too, to the tune $129.95. The whole thing p----s me off. I think I'm going to quit using VISA, but wonder if there is anything I can do, short of hiring an attorney, to get their attention. It's like fighting the "invisible" man. Can't talk to anybody, have to wait for them to contact you....what a bunch of bull. I'm sick of spending my time on this. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Theres not much you can do, except keep calling. I know you are tired of it, but you may just be getting started. I had a similar occurance when someone tried using my card number to by ~2000.00 worth of tennis shoes off a website. VISA denied the charge at the point of sale, so nothing lost, right? Well, the bank issuing that card froze it and my business use card. It took MONTHS and 35-40 phone calls to get that mess straightened out.

There is a special place in Hell for thieves and credit card companies.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just wondering if you filed a police report for the fraudulent charge? You might have more success with VISA if you show that you reported the unlawful activity to the authorities.
In today's age of identity theft, there are also those who will claim that they have been victimized and try to get out of paying their bills.
I am not suggesting you are, just that taking the matter to the police shows the credit company that you are cooperating with the police and are willing to persue the matter legally instead of just calling and complaining.
Ken

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
The police are not too intersted in anyting under a couple of grand and are not too mych help. They consider it a problem for the credit csard companies. One you get over the "petty theft" issue they are more interested. It really is a matter of resources.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've had my cc # jacked twice in the last six months or so too. Both times though, the credit card company (Chase) called me to tell me about it, and both times besides a new card, they sent me a fraud claim form that I just had to sign and mail back. I really wish I knew how the scum were getting my cc #, as I'm extremely cautious about that kind of stuff. Really though, with the state of technology being what it is, it's virtually impossible to use a credit card without exposure to risk of theft. You can't even use a credit card to pay for gas at the pump without the possibility of your #'s getting jacked. But at least so far, it's been no muss no fuss getting the charges cleared off my account. I actually have not had to make even one phone call - like I said, the cc company called me first, overnighted me a new card, and then sent me the form to sign regular mail. None of the several grand in fraudulent charges have ever even showed up on my statements.

- DAA

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Credit cards

Lots of credit cards get hijacked in restaurants when they take your card away from the table. Don’t let your card out of you sight. Lots of folks also lose the data through Phising schemes. Last year my boss at the time went into a Bulgarian restaurant used his debit card and the next day his account had been cleaned out from Bulgaria.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the difference is in the amounts, Dave. There must be a "trigger" (if you will) amount where they call you before honoring the charge. My daughter got hers hijacked twice last year. One was in Mexico, a place she's never been. That was for almost $1500, and the CC co called me., and then sent a fraud form. In my cases it was for amounts under $200. In that case I guess they don't bother checking.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Another option is lately the credic card companies are offering to generate "virtual" credit card numbers which are for one time use and for a fixed amount of money, ie that particular purchase. That virtual number is not linked to your real credit card number and won't be good after that use. You can look into whether your company supports this technology and make
use of it when posssible.
Just another option to explore.
Ken

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A question, Jim.....

Are you contacting VISA International or your issuing bank? My wife works in credit cards with JP Morgan/Chase, and she'll try to help.

Sid

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Not that this helps, but it could be that the issuer, Chase or whoever it is, is trying to verify your complaint by contacting the retailer, but this can be done in 30 days, and they should let you know they are in receipt of your letter, and working on it.

Since they havent even acknowledged any of your four letters, send the next one "return receipt requested", and the person that signs at the card issuers office will have their name on your receipt. Now you can prove that they know about it. Usually that gets some attention, as most financial institutions do not allow the janitor to sign for incoming certified mail. It will be someone with some horsepower.

But Jim, Ill bet you that Visa cannot contact the flake company and therefore cannot ding them in reverse and credit your account.

Sorry you have to spend time on crap like this, instead of calling cats in the snow!

Email me if anything I can do.

·
Registered
169 Posts
File the report at the Copshop

We got taken last year buy a sonofabitch that stole my SSN somehow and used it to get Direct TV. Direct TV in Renton Wa started sending us a bill for 200 bucks. F.U. I told them. I don`t live in Renton, never have and never will.

When asked how I should deal with this, their collection agency said the best way was to just pay it. HA! Not freaking likely lady! Hell will freeze and thaw before that happens. So, went to the sherriff, they said just pay it. Like hell. I DEMANDED they take a report and investigate it.

They bitched but they did it. I then contacted the credit reporting agency and filed a formal complaint and sent the police report, and a pile of proof that we`ve lived here and only here for 26 years except two in Kodiak.
Everything is return reciept as mentioned in an earlier post.

The credit reporting agency (Equifax) then notified the collection agency that we were protesting, and that they had 30 days to show PROOF that we were in Renton when the charge was made. They finally dropped the charges. Equifax restored our good credit and we got the large piece of land we are now developing. We came within a RCH of losing out on a million dollar deal cause of some scumsucking piglicker in Renton Wa.

By the way, I had the address, and the renton police said they were not interested in arresting the perp. I said fine, I`ll go deal with him. They said they would arrest ME if I went near that address and anything happened, even if the bastard attacked me first............?/
Maybe the renton cops work for the UNITED NATIONS?/........

OH, and Direct TV SUCKS! There`s even a website about how bad they treat people. Hosers.
Rant off
Go to the Cops Jimbo.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks, Sid, and the same to your wife. We've been sending letters to Chase, the issuing bank, but neglected to send them "return receipt" as we should have. We also made the mistake of paying the entire balance, as we always do. Finally sent an email tonight, after an hour fighting thru their worthless website. Nobody is ever going to convince me the difficulty in resolving these things is NOT deliberate. It just shouldn't be that difficult, in this age of technology.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya, Mike. Makes you want to load the guns and go huntin' don't it? The damned cops won't do anything, but prevent you from solving the problem yourself....no wonder our society is going to hell on us. On my bad charges, I gave them the office building they were made from, the computer network they were made from, etc. I assume nothing has been done to the perps. I got all that info from the company that agreed to reverse the charges, without going thru the card co. That gal told me the time, the place, the URL, everything about who charged the stuff. I gave it all to the banks' fraud unit with the request I be kept informed....yeah, right!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Renton

Mike I used to live there but putting it mildly it's going to the dogs. As for their police department in Renton my opinion is fire all of them and issue every law abiding citizens a shotgun or weapon of their choice.

A few years back a local gun dealer was defrauding people locally and on the internet. The police and the ATF did nada. That’s what we are getting for our tax dollars in the new America.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.