Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

A friend of mine recently acquired an unusual (to me) Weaver scope. The front ring is pretty much standard, but the rear ring features elevation and windage knobs and is more or less integral with the scope itself. The scope tube itself features no internal adjustments. I believe he said it bore a "V8" in addition to the usual "Weaver... El Paso.." markings. In many respects, the concept is similar to the old Bausch & Lomb Balvar(?) scopes. I was completely unaware that Weaver ever marketed such an item.

Does anyone here have any info regarding approximate dates of manufacture of this type Weaver or links to a site that might provide additional info?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
http://www.weaver-scope-repair.com/

these guys might tell ya about it. they are the "weaver repair service" for scopes marked "el paso".

i just sent them a vintage v9 3x9x38 w/ao to have them refurbish it. it was made 1967-69 per their assesment according to markings.

it is costing me $63 shp inc to have redone. very nice lookin old scope that was pretty much shot internally per weavers description of what needed done. i sure hope it turns out ok, but i got it for free to start with ;) i will only have $63 in it all together. gonna use it on my 12.5" 17m2 OTT contender....when it comes in. :cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Back when I lived in El Paso, I hand delivered an old Weaver to them that a Kentucky buddy had sent me for refurbishing. If the results of that job were any indication, you will be most pleased with the results.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
IIRC, those were only manufactured for two years, 56-57 I think. Great old scopes but introduced at the wrong time, everyone then was going to internal adjustment scopes, they didnt sell well to hunters. You will find them listed in the 1956 Gun Digest and Shooter's Bible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sir; exactly the kind of info I was seeking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used one in East Africa

I used one of these for almost three years in Ethiopia in the early ‘60s. The ‘’multi-range’’ reticle was very useful. At higher power the box formed by the three lines on each plane was 10 minutes a side, the four interior boxes were five minutes a side. Since the reticule was on the first focal plane, the boxes cud be used to range to a target whose size was known. This worked exceedingly well on Baboons, as they wud sit and bark a u, knowing that they were way out of range of the locals shotguns. I dropped one at 300+ yards with my .257 Bob across a very narrow deep canyon. One of the most spectacular shots I ever made. I watched him thru the scope @8X as he lost his grip on the top edge of the rock, slid to the end of the angled rock, and then fell few THOUSAND feet to the bottom of the canyon. Over and over, like a blue screen trick of someone falling fm a building.

On the lower powers, the three lines ran together and formed a dark center that cud be seen at night for hunting with spotlights.

Very interesting and workable system. I also used it on a .375 H&H M70 with good results. Never lost its zero.

I only use first focal plane scopes to this day.

Believe u’ll like it.

JUMPER AKA Barry ross

1 - 8 of 8 Posts