Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21° here in Upstate NY under cloudy skies with a dusting of snow on the ground. We might get a few snow flurries this morning early and then it will turn sunny with a high temperature of about 30°.

Yesterday I was on the road for a good part of the day and after getting home I didn't do to much for the rest of the day. Today will be about the same agenda,also today I have some paperwork that I have to get done. Tomorrow and Friday both I hope to get out hunting with Rusty.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio. 25 going to the 40's with lots of sunshine, greenhouse will soar to 90's when the sun comes up amazing what heat is in sun light. Thanks to all for sharing deer pictures and love the story behind them. I just wish I'd done better when young so I could be doing it now. Well its hump day and I hope KF & Charlie don't jump up and down, they would end up with more than two lumps on their head!! Had a eye doc appointment yesterday and I drove by the 19 test site it was full. over 50 cars waiting at 12:45. Be safe and healthy. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 36 now supposed to get to 55, but the wind is blowing 25 mph.
Got the groceries yesterday and made 2 meetings at church. Today I will try again at doing things at home. I am invited out to supper around 5pm.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good mornin you all from the Mountain State, it's 27* and frosty, weather man says into the 40's today and sunshine. Ken can you use that Belding & Mull handbook? Check your PM for the info. You all have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Mornin boys...
looks like low 20s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
guess I'm going back to work this morning. Just can't get
into hunting like I use to. I might take off next week and just work
the rest of this week...you all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Good morning folks, and thanks for reminding us it's HUMP day MPC! It's a chilly 34 on the porch. I'm up early, not out in a tree though. I have a lot of work to do and am leaving early Friday, figured I'd try to get some done. I'll definitely have one eye out the window when it gets light though. I had hoped to hunt this afternoon but I have a damn zoom meeting at 3pm. Oh well. I'm down to 2.5 days of archery season.

Worked in the shop last night. Guy comes in asking for the boss. He was busy so I tried to help. He bought a Ruger American 6.5CR. He explained to me the fired brass would not eject. Sure enough, he was right! A very quick look at the case head showed the primer was flat and the entire casehead was flattened, sorta smooth. Even the rim had a little, odd ring around it. Never seen that particular thing before. Must be the way the bolt head is milled? I asked if he tried other ammo, he said no. I told him the first thing Ruger would ask is if he tried other ammo. Then the guy works the bolt like a puss, real slow, and says the bolt is catching (when the lugs meet the locking slots). So I work the bolt like you're supposed to and told him nothing is wrong, it needs broken in, he could put lapping compound on to smooth it out, but the gun is fine. It's a brand new gun, only 10 shots thru it (yeah he kept shooting those loads even though they were sticky). Anyway, I told him the gun was fine and that the ammo he had was too hot. "Well I have a dozen friends that shoot that ammo" he says. I said "Well you have a dozen friends with different guns and chambers! Every gun is different! And if it were me, I'd have stopped shooting that ammo after it stuck on the first round!". "Well, I ain't buying that!" he says. I handed him his box of ammo and said "have a nice day" and went and got my boss, who doesn't know $hit anyway,he calls ME in these situations, and walked away. Boss man kept the gun to shoot, to try different ammo.

Well I need to get busy. Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
morning all. 20 to start with low 60s later, unusual for mid Nov. here.
Really nice day yesterday, but sure didn't get anything done except got the cows hauled to their fresh field of alfalfa cleanup.
Boss man is going across the valley today to load more cows to bring home off summer pasture, guess I'll stay home and off load them.
May get around to servicing a pickup or something... or not.
Found some 224 bullets on Midway last nite, ordered 400, not what I usually shoot but will work when I run out of V-Max bullets.
Happy hump day and be safe. Prayers for those and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Good morning all. Heating up in Indy. It's 30 already on the way to 50. Fixed myself a good sausage cheese scramble for breakfast. Too got a couple bites and seemed to like it. Been trying to keep myself busy mostly in the loading dungeon. Every time I turn around there's another coffee can full of .204 brass to work on. Gonna' start sizing today and sorting out the ones that need to be trimmed. Haven't been any farther than the mailbox for two days now. I'm going to go out and put a few miles on the truck just to be sort of outside.

Loving the old hunting/shooting posts. Thanks to the historians.

Y'all have a good day.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Morning all, 39 headed to 54 today, sunshine all day. We got the two deer worked up and ground up yesterday, I dont think you could stick a sandwich in the freezers they are so full. We ended up with about 110# of burger and steaks. I took my tenderizer out an cut some top sirloins steaks, ran them thru, and some back straps. Ended up with 10 packs of those. Glad to be done deer hunting for the year. Got a lot of stuff to try to do today, pick up form boars from getting my walkway poured, take a huge oak entertainment et it cut down at a buddies shop, got it for $5 at a auction. Lots of stuff to keep me busy, have to put up a lot of guns, grandaughter will be here in 2 days, I keep a handgun loaded in every room. You all have a great day, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
We are allowed only 5 people at a family gathering by order of our Dictator Governess and we are allowed 50 at a funeral gathering so I am inviting 14 family members to attend our pet turkey funeral on Thanksgiving Day. Other than that there isn’t much going on here today.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Aound 30º at sunrise in the hollow this morning. I think we are looking at mid 60s later today. Went to Orangeburg SC last weekend and competed in the Tack Driver. Didn't shoot as well as I would have liked, but I wasn't the only one. Met a bunch of new folks and reacquainted with some old friends (emphasis on old). We got back home late Sunday night and I did route work Monday and Tuesday. I could probably make it on here on work days, but my focus just isn't there. Now it's Wednesday and while I still have a lot to do I also have a little free time waste, so here I am. Congrats to all the hunters. Not sure I'll get in the woods again this year, but will probably do it once or twice. Speaking of wasting time, I'm listening to a lot of podcasts mostly about the election. I'll semi-quote William Faulkner " lots of sound and fury signifying nothing". As far as Thanksgiving gatherings, I have four living children, two, I'm currently annoyed with, one is a democrat who buys the whole covid nonsense and one who has good sense. Guess who we'll spend the day with.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Good...well....afternoon now. Just got done with lunch, I brought in 2lbs of deer burger and we mixed it with 2lbs of spicy sausage for some 50/50 burgers.....ready for a dang nap now! I picked up my deer from processing yesterday and have no freezer space left for anything at all. I had to bring about 8lbs of burger to the shop to stuff in the freezer here in our fridge. I made sure I had plenty of room for all the summer sausage though! They had signs up stating they were taking no more deer until this morning and the lady said she had over 300 calls wanting to bring deer in.....sounds like a lot of people are going to be doing it themselves.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Good afternoon from the sticks of Kentucky where it is a beautiful day from 27° this morning.
I received a tx from our Skruske who is in the middle of Nofknwhere in the UP. He sent me a photo of a Wolf Track which has a 30.06 case lying in it.

I know what I would be hunting if I was up there.
Skruske hasn't killed a deer yet, he's being selective waiting for a biggun but will probably pop one later.
His Governess Gretchen Hitler has clamped down since he left home and he may have to Quarantine for 2 weeks to cross the Mackinaw Bridge.
FB, I like the idea of a Turkey funeral. Our Rat gubenor is set to do the same thing today I hear.
However. Schools here are now closed and Chinese Virus has half the county on Quarantine here. I know a LOT of folks sick, but no one in hospital. Yet.

We stopped in at the Auction yard where Sam buys all those ML and single shot rifles and looked at a nearly new Hay Cutter on consignment. It has had a major Malfunction but might still be a good buy? Maybe not.
I did NOT go inside the building and look at any Guns. That way I won't be buying any.
Carry on....I don't feel like it.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
JRinKY;
I would think Skruske knows there’s no deer in Western UP and precious few in the Eastern UP. Why? The answer to this quiz is the footprint with the .30-06 in it. The wolf is protected by the DNR and they took out the deer population. The farmers in Wisconsin, just west of Michigan are losing cattle and shooting wolves. What’s wrong with buying a hay cutter if you can fix it?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
HAPPY HUMP DAY, GoGo! I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack, for a couple days anyway. It's 29 in Louisville at 8:30, going to 52.

Well, I'm not up a tree today. Taking the day off. Deer were moving pretty good on Monday and I killed a small doe. Who needs Tender Quick when you can just kill 'em when they're tender? That's right, isn't it, Charlie? Anyway yesterday the three of us who hunt in the same area stayed on stand from dark to noon and saw not a single deer. Can't figure it out as the temps were good, only a light breeze. Even the squirrels weren't as active yesterday. Even though most of those hunting days I was just sitting on my ass, by the time I got home last night my knees were shot and I was hobbling around in pitiful fashion. Decided to stay home today and rest 'em, which means the King of the Forest will eat my corn today and pose for my trailcam.

I hope to get back at 'em Friday or Saturday. I also just got an invitation to go to a friend's farm near Glasgow for late muzzleloader season. It's been several years since I've even fired my ML, so I hope to make that hunt and maybe take another deer down there.

As for today, I want to process my 49 pounder. Miss Cindy says to trim and wrap the backstraps, then grind the rest. Shouldn't take long. Cindy is dieting and eats three eggs, scrambled, most mornings, which I fix. I made some smoked snack sticks a couple weeks ago and Cindy has discovered that a heated snack stick really perks up those eggs.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe whether in a tree or in your pickup, and good luck if you're hunting.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I received a tx from our Skruske who is in the middle of Nofknwhere in the UP. He sent me a photo of a Wolf Track which has a 30.06 case lying in it.
I shot a .30-06 for whitetail for 15-20 years before switching to .243. Still have the rifle, a Remmy 78. Anyway, the photo of that shell really rings a bell. If that's a green tip, I bet he's using a Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tip. The 150 may have a green tip as well. Helluva bullet, but I quit buying Noslers when they cut their hunting bullets down to 50 rounds per box "for the benefit of our customers who want to buy a smaller quantity," or something very similar to that statement. That would have been OK if they had also cut the price of a box by half, but they didn't. I haven't loaded a Nosler since.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
First time I’ve been on here today. It was a little chilly working outside today but the stove is warm and supper smells good now. Looks like Skruske is invading the neighborhood of a mighty big dog up there. I hope I never live to see them around here. My wife saw a Fox by the woodpile this morning. First one we've seen in months.
The Kentucky deer death toll is up to 77,000 now. Glad to see a few of those were taken by board members.
Hope ya get to feeling better KF. There’s still plenty more deer out there just waiting for ya.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I remember way back last Century when I started visiting the Varmints Den, it was a running Message Board thing. Way before it had sections and Forums.
It seems the Good Morning gang had started it up again as we are commenting all day long!
I like it like this!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I agree JR. Sometimes I’ll check throughout the day to see if anyone posted anything new. Every now and then I get a pleasant surprise like Skruske’s wolf track. When I read about some folks’ adventures on here, it makes me realize what a dull life I lead.....but I’m ok with that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts