Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
38° here in Upstate NY this morning we have some and mist out there, the high temperature for today will be the same as it is now. There will be a 20% chance for more rain today with a 14mph wind.

I was on the road for the morning yesterday and spent the rest of the day here at home. This morning I have to go down to the town hall and pay our property taxes so they will be out of the way for another year. After that I will play it by ear, but I am hoping it will be a lazy day.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's foggy and 23, high about 30. Winter storm warnings for this evening.
I stayed home yesterday and tinkered. I picked up a pair of sewing machine cabinet drawers at Galen's and got them installed in place of other drawers. They are good for storage of reloading tools.
I got the third coat of finish on three stocks. 3 more to go. It's a long process with a 2 day drying time between coats.
Today is on the road, beauty shop at 1030, Then Goodwill in Mankato to unload the truck, Menards for hooks, lunch somewhere and home.
We enjoy eating out, but the cost is so high it's rarely enjoyable.
I need to see what rifles I need to reload for, this morning.
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday,
Ken

· Registered
2,924 Posts
40° here this morning with a chance of rain later in the day. Not much happened yesterday. After work, I spent a couple of nice, relaxing hours listening to music and sorting out wheel weights. Later, my nephew and his fiancé came by for supper and to discuss wedding stuff with my wife. They’re both good kids (25-26 years old) and seem to have their lives in order. He is a gun club member and has his priorities straight. She is a nurse and is extremely easy on the eyes.
Sam said he was going to Lexington to visit a few gun shops yesterday. I wonder if he saw this one.
Art Machine Metal Wood Cuisine

Make it a good day.

· Registered
10,596 Posts
Good morning from Indy. 38 heading for the mid 40s with a chance of rain this afternoon. I’m pretty much recovered from whatever it was that had me dragging since Monday evening and I’ll be back on track shortly. Got a few traps to run today. Gonna’ look into a couple of hybrid golf clubs then stop by the hospital to see a former softball teammate who had quad bypass surgery Monday. Planning on going to the indoor range for a therapy session before the danger wimmens open house at 6:00. Julie’s up to her neck in that show but us gentlepersons ain’t invited.

Gotta’ get going. The bus leaves for the pancake joint shortly.

Have a good day.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning folks,

37.9° with cloud cover but none of the predicted precipitation here near HalfwayUSA. We may see 40° again today.

On Tuesday, I got ahead of the paper work for the gun club meeting scheduled for tonight. I also did a couple things for the estate. Corey stopped by in the afternoon with the adapter box for the wood stove to trial fit it. As expected, it fits perfectly. He took it with him & will finish the welding today. Should be wood burning in the stove by tomorrow morning.

As said, the gun club meeting is this evening. Elections have become something of a formality. One person makes a resolution to re-elect by acclamation & we go from there.

A friend is coming over today. He is interested in buying the fly fishing gear from old hunting partner's estate.

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 15 here with only 30 for a high with wind, got a little snow yesterday, just enough to make the roads slick. May get a flurry or two today also.
Got to try out the new small tractor the boss man got to help him out on taxes. Sure different than the old 4020 JD. All electric controls but runs nice and quiet.
Used it on a box blade to smooth out the rest of the road base on our road, worked great.
Worked in the shop most of the afternoon, got alot done on the tractor that has been in there for a week or more. More on that today.
Gwyns' back is still hurting but not as bad. Moving a little better this morning.
Better get going, have a Happy Hump Day, be safe and warm. Prayers for those with health issues and those traveling.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Registered
538 Posts
Looks like 34 out there as I start this Wednesday. One of you guys sent your "no sleep ums" my way and they arrived at 3:15am. Got up and got the fire stirred up and parked on the couch but even that wasn't enough to send me back to the land of Nod. Finally dozed off sometime after 5 I guess and the cats woke me at 5:45 for their morning crunchies. I'll be napping later you can bank on it.
I'll be headed in to the shop to put together the material order for a railing we need to make and later will head out to watch another hockey game mid afternoon. That's my whole plan for the day. Sure doesn't seem like a lot that I have to do but I'm OK with that these days. This is almost like practicing to be a retired old fart......
I hope you all have a good one and work extra hard to make up for the effort I'm NOT putting in these days.
Ken

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
She is a nurse and is extremely easy on the eyes.

Sam said he was going to Lexington to visit a few gun shops yesterday. I wonder if he saw this one. View attachment 32885
Carl,

You posted the wrong pic, I'd rather see the one that's easy on the eyes.

I think that's either an old Iver Johnson or an "Iforgot & Leftitinnacrick".

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning and happy HUMP DAY folks. It's 43 here and partly cloudy. Rain moving in for all day tomorrow they say. I'll take the mild winter we've had so far, but don't think we're out of the woods just yet. March can be a bitch for snow. I sure am ready for boating season though!

Water Swimsuit top Lingerie top Swimwear Brassiere

Worked at the shop last night. It was DEAD. Couple customers, no guns sold, waste of my time. I'll give them another year, if they don't close up before. That'll be 20 years I've been there. Wow, time flies. Guess tonight I'll shoot the flinch-lock and give it a good cleaning and oil it down for the year. Probably put some hunting stuff away as well. Won't need it for awhile. Got a fox/coyote hunt here this weekend, but I didn't sign up. Too busy, lost interest, no places to go and honestly, I'd rather watch foxes than shoot them. Would be nice to bag a coyote, but haven't even had a trail cam pic this year.

Well, I guess I better get over the HUMP and get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 59º and cloudy here headed for the mid 60's. Its starting to rain and rain is in the forecast all day.

Yesterdays equipment moving plans fell through. My running buddy worked on his trailer all morning trying to get the lights working and replacing safety chains, ect. It seems he loaned it out and thats how it came back! Yesterday was our day to pick the Granddaughter up from school and take Her to gymnastics so our day was cut short. Anyway it looks like we'll move tractors and equipment next week. I tinkered in the loading room most of the morning. I resized 550 223 cases and trimmed them.

Todays plan is to take the Wife to a couple of Doctors appointments starting about noon. I may take a battery drill, some primer pocket tools and brass and work on that while I'm waiting. I usually drop Her off at the door and park at the furtherest end of the parking lot to wait.

Scott, I have been using those split lock rings too. Yesterdays changeover was the last caliber that didn't have them. I buy a dedicated cutting blade for each caliber so I don't have to readjust the blade.

Prayers offered for those in need, our Country and for Dean's Wife.

Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
HAPPY HUMP DAY, GoGo! At 0941 it's 40 in Louisville, going to 57 (maybe) and cloudy. Rain coming in from the West, but I don't think it'll be here until dinnertime.

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous here. It was sunny all day and hit 64 for about an hour and a half in mid-afternoon. Perfect day to get some things done outside and in my unheated garage, so I did. I cold smoked some cheese (Swiss, Colby, mild cheddar and Monterey Jack), set up my SHTF 5-gallon-bucket water filter to make sure it's working.

Next, I took Scott's ax sheath to my drill press and drilled the holes for stitching. The sheath has a thick welt on the edges, so you're drilling through three thicknesses of heavy leather. The drill punches through just fine, but the trick is to hold the leather absolutely flat so that your hole is straight with the edge of your piece and you aren't drilling at an angle. If you do drill at an angle, then your holes on the back side of the piece will wander back and forth and look like a snake. As usual, I made some mistakes on this task and had to adjust my method, but I learned. This project is teaching me sooooo much, and I'm enjoying it.

My final project in the garage yesterday was to slice some walnut on my miter saw. Really should be done on a table saw, but I don't have one, so I make do. I bought five chunks of walnut (Claro maybe) at Woodcraft a few months ago. This wood looked really rough, but was marked down from something like $20 a block to $5. Here's what the blocks looked like:
Blue Wood Rectangle Brick Ingredient

When I cut the first block I got pretty excited. These will make some beautiful knife handles.
Food Ingredient Cuisine Wood Dish
Brown Wood Rectangle Art Tints and shades

Here's my Hump Day offering. I call it "Black Thongs Matter."
Joint Leg People in nature Waist Knee

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and remember to pray for our friends here and for our nation.

· Registered
3,646 Posts
Currently 50 with clouds on the way to the upper 60s. Rain will move in later this PM and last most of the night. Fine January weather. Frequently spring thru fall Tarcila and I will spend time on the front porch just enjoying the close of the day. It's unusual for this to happen in January, but we did yesterday and were rewarded with about a dozen deer in the front yard around sunset including a very good buck in the 130 class. It's not often here that you see bucks and does together this time of year, but there were 4-5 bucks and the rest does of all ages. Good stuff. I had planned to go to Dry Branch and shoot today, but have some paperwork that will put much needed $$ in my bank account. First things first.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

· Registered
382 Posts
Morning all, 47 headed to 62 today, sunny so far. Doc appointment was easy, come back in 5 years unless something new comes up. This was the hip replacement doc who fixed the screw up hip with 2 surgeries, and replaced the other hip last Jan. He was pleased with the bones healing, and even more so about the right hip, that had the 4 surgeries, It had healed a lot more since last year, the left one was completley healed. I went to 3 gun shops, only found one bargain. It was a TC Big boar Stock and lockwork etc, with a .54 custom barrel on it in pristine condition. If followed me home for the price of the barrel. Stopped by on the way home at the Chinese buffet you all like to visit in Somerset for supper about 5pm. I layed into the coconut shrimp, frog legs, and baked fish, it was great. Looked like a small frog village had been laid waste to when I got done. Got to get going, you all have a great day, Prayers continued for Deans wife, and anybody else that needs them, Buff out.

· Registered
233 Posts
Grand daughtering on the South side of Indy.
Filled up at Costco for mid $3.20s.
Bruce? Hope you have recouped from the flight up and will definitely be an asset on manning the booth. Grip n Grin always required but when backed up w savvy, that's where the points are made w clients. How many scopes do you think Justin will bring home?
That thermal was something else, checking the grain level in bins at several hunnert yards. Once l experienced that quality, too hard to settle for what's affordable.
The Highlander finally gets its last freebie oil change and tar rotation. Will get them balanced elsewhere. $100 hr labor rate? Not this retired blue collar.
Maybe pizza on the way home. Tom out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts