Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
34° here right now and I’m not seeing any show falling yet. The weather radar shows that it should be here in the next 10-15 minutes. I’m up a little earlier than usual and will probably head on into work in a few. I spoke to my cousin in east Texas last night to make sure they were OK. She was on her way back from her daughter’s in Houston and all was well with them.
I learned a valuable lesson this week. Marty’s car was having trouble, due to a faulty crankcase position sensor. It is a simple job to replace it, but it’s in a tight spot and would be much easier if I lost a few pounds. The dealership didn’t have one in stock so I bought one from one of the big box, discount auto-parts stores. It was half the price ($20) and in stock. Here’s the short version of the story……When I returned the first sensor, the guy at the counter said,” yeah it’s pretty common to get a bad one. Sometimes they work sometimes they don’t “. The second one didn’t work either. I ended up waiting until yesterday when the dealer got them in stock. Replaced it, after work, and it was back on the road, running great within an hour. Marty is happy so that means I’m happy.
Not much else was accomplished yesterday. Got a haircut and spent the rest of the evening tending the wood stove.
Be careful out there and make it a good day.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's 23,cloudy and 28 with some snow, maybe later.
Busy day yesterday though no much was accomplished, Dr, Walmart and Galen's. A lady who was a friend of Sandys stopped in and bought two pieces of furniture. I found two Browning shotgun cases in the basement, both have mold damage. I am wondering- trash them or keep them and replace the interior?
Today is?
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday,
Ken

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
25° here in Upstate NY this morning under clear skies, the high temperature is going up to about 33° today. We are to get another storm today, snow and then change over to rain, about 4" of the white stuff predicted.

Yesterday was a busy day for me, I was on the road for half the day and then busy at home. I have been talking to different surveyors and will be talking to a couple of others. I have about decided who we will be going with for the gun club, but it doesn't hurt to check out all available. Today I have things to do here at home and I don't plan on going anywhere.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
538 Posts
23 here with snow to start by noontime. Expecting up to 3" before it changes over to all rain around dinnertime.
Not much to say this morning other than SOSDD. I'll bring in a bit of wood before the snow gets rolling and then hunker down by the stove and enjoy my hard work putting all that wood up for just this occasion.
Hope you all have a good one.
Ken

· Registered
10,596 Posts
Good morning from Indy. It’s 34 and snowing lightly but the ground is already covered. The good news is that the snow blower started on the first pull last night and it didn’t take much fiddling to get the trimmer adjusted for .204 brass. Two of my less-than-favorite things but likely what I’ll be running today.

Drive carefully. There’s gonna’ be idiots on the road.

Carl, I hate it when my crank gets out of position!

Have a good day.

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 5 above with low 30s later. Still a slight chance of a snow flake or two... probably not, just wind.
After chores were done yesterday morning I moved a tractor in the shop and worked on it for a bit.
After lunch BIL and I went out looking for elk or a coyote, found neither. Lots of yote tracks, no elk tracks anywhere.
Came home and got two tractors out of the shop, will clean up some and try to get another in there today...maybe.
Got news from the insurance company on the car, it's totaled, no word on how much they'll pay. Possible car shopping
this weekend...or not.
Better get, have a Happy Hump Day. Be safe and warm. Prayers for those with issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean
Back from chores, whacked two coyotes this morning, just drive bys, but saw a couple more too. Seems they like the cold sunny morning... or did!

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good HUMP DAY morning folks. It's 32 here and just about to start snowing. They've dropped the forecast to about an inch before it turns to rain, so that's just fine and dandy with me. It's not that I don't like plowing snow...it's just I'd rather be doing something else. Too old for a that shit. Speaking of too old for that shit, I found this pic and I'm not sure if it's Bruce or Dean's helper. She said something about doing some preg testing? Sounds fun to me!

People in nature Sky Flash photography Thigh Happy

Yesterday I worked at the shop after my "real" job. Place was dead again. Did some inventory for a trapping order. Just goes to show you how the place is being run lately. Trapping season is in full swing, almost over even, and they're just now ordering supplies. Same with turkey and waterfowl season...we get turkey loads and steel shot AFTER we need them. A little planning would go a long way, but hey...it's not MY shop.

Well I guess I better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning everyone,

Overcast ahead of the snow that is moving this way while we have a temperature of 32° here near HalfwayUSA. At first light here, I can see the snow falling 1/2 mile away but it is edging it's way here.

The probate court documents were submitted by mid afternoon. The nice gal that is the probate court clerk said she will present them to the judge this morning. That puts this one step closer. Again, I'm glad to have the court's supervision and oversight through this process.

I don't believe I have much in the way of outside chores. The critters got an extra serving of my custom mix of seed and should be able to entertain us for a couple days.

I do believe I will be sorting the 4 ice cream pales of brass that has accumulated. That should keep me out of trouble for this morning.

I'll probably have a snow shovel in my hand some time today.

Be sure to stop by yesterday's good morning thread & see the fine work KYF did on the axe sheath.(y)

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Morning gang, it's 35* here and the wind is blowing pretty good, temps going up a bit and then this afternoon get colder and snow, maybe 3-4 inches overnight, looks like winter has returned to SWV. I'm going to the lot and finish up a truck and that's about it for the day. You all have a good one. God Bless,

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Good morning everyone,
Bright and Sunny headed to the low 80's today. Not much planned the usual I'll run a couple of drills with the hound. He would do this 24-7 . I remember a pro trainer telling me that dog loves what he is doing and it shows .Its like I can't get enough. I did hear the Mrs say last night about trying out a taco shop for lunch so I'm sure that's on the plan .
Everyone have a great day stay warm dry and safe.

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 37º and mostly cloudy here with a WNW wind of 12 to 15. The temps won't get out of the low 40's. It started raining about noon yesterday and rained until the wee hours of this morning. We had just a little sleet hit the windshield while we were out. The Northern part of the State got up to 10 inches of snow.

Yesterday morning I cleaned the guns that we shot while at Deer Club Saturday. Yesterday afternoon we picked up the Granddaughter after school and took Her to Gymnastics. The Wife made Chile for supper and it went good with the damp chilly weather.

Not much planned for today. My Midway order arrived yesterday, a couple of days sooner than estimated, so I'll put that stuff away. They had sent me an Email that they had gotten some Sierra ProHunter bullets in so I ordered some and some MTM ammo boxes. If nothing much happens today I may meet some buddies for Wet Wednesday tonight.

KYF, that ax sheath looks great!

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one!

· Registered
3,646 Posts
50ish with clouds cover in the hollow this morning. Looks like the snow belt is a ways north of us and I have no problem with that. Forecast is for temps dropping some by afternoon, but still not bad. Been absent for a couple of days as things got a little busy. Was required for taxi/bodyguard duty for my wife who had an endoscopy on her throat Monday and wasn't allowed to drive. Results were good :) Tuesday I did my route and finished up with a flat tire in a parking lot which required a pickup by my wife and a return with a floor jack and a lug wrench that works. Good side was the spare which hadn't been on the ground since it was made in 2004 still had some air and worked well even after riding around in the back for 420,000 miles. Have a visit with the eye doctors this morning, probably will get a vision field, which will show how much I've lost in my left eye :( After that, one more route stop.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

· Registered
382 Posts
Morning all, 50 headed to 56 today. Going out to line up several rifles this am, get them done and gone. Mom has a cold , hope its not covid, I tested her but nothing showed. Her brother who she was recently around is in the hospital with Covid. Will keep a close eye on her the next week or so. May shoot my 32/40 a little bit if the wind dies down below 10 mph. Will bed another rifle, last one to do. May cast some bullets also, have Bible study tonight at church. Speaking of church, you got to love a gun loving, pistol packing preacher, who is a die hard hunter. He killed a #200 Russian boar down in Tenn. Tuesday evening hunting on a friends property. He shot it about 7pm with a Thermal unit on a .308 supressed. These are offspring of a high fence operation back in the 30's that had the real deal Russians imported and let them run wild and breed in a 2500 acre enclosure. When the owner died, they let the fence get down and they soon ran everywhere. This head on this hog is nearly 1/3 the size of the whole body. There was a bigger boar with the group that came in, but he could not get a shot on him. Got to run, you all have a good one, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Morning all. It is snowing right now, started about 8am and had a little rain before that. Winter storm warning is out, and we are predicted to get 5-8" by this afternoon. Was supposed to go see my oncologist today, but called in and cancelled it because of the storm coming. A bit later, I got a call from the head oncology nurse and she told me to not come in and we will just put off the appointment until next Wednesday. She didn't know that I already cancelled. Good deal, now I can just do the normal and hibernate today. Hope there is a decent movie on TV this afternoon. Be safe and keep warm.

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
The neighbor gave me a book that he wants me to read. He says it tries to put a new spin on the migrations of people from the 16th century in Europe right down to the migration of southerners in the U.S. to the factory jobs in the north. It draws comparisons between north and south in England, Scotland, and Ireland to the same in the U.S. I haven’t begun to read it yet but the title alone gave me some pause. The book is written by a black U.S. man and I right away had to question his agenda. The book is titled “Black ******** and White Liberals”. Can a black man say “*******” without it being a derogatory word? Do Southern U.S. people look at ******* as a derogatory word? The same goes for “Hill Billy”. I don’t like to describe someone as a ******* or a hillbilly. Am I being over sensitive?
Oh, I got the answer to my question right away when I posted this as the words I wondered about are starred out.
If I said rouge instead of red and nape instead of neck this might make sense.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson this week. Marty’s car was having trouble, due to a faulty crankcase position sensor. /QUOTE]

You probably saved yourself $200-$300 doing that job yourself, Carl. What interests me is how you determined it was a faulty sensor. No idiot light on the dash for every sensor in an engine, right? So, did you have a code reader that you plugged in? Did you go to AutoZone and they read the error code? Did you take it to the dealership, where they determined the problem but didn't have the part? Lots of car problems are a fairly easy fix once you figure out what's wrong. Kind of like how I replaced the disk brake pads on all four wheels of my Hyundai Sonata last summer. I caught a set of good ceramic pads on sale at Advance Auto Parts for about $100. When I called the dealership a few days later, they gave me an estimate of $600 to do the job, and that was if they didn't try to gouge me for new rotors, which they likely might have done. :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Diagnosing it was the easy part Mike. I bought an ODB2 scanner a couple years ago so when it started sputtering, i plugged it in and read the code. It has made most troubleshooting pretty easy. Jeep also makes it easy to read diagnostic codes. Without starting the engine, just rapidly turn the ignition on,off, on, off and on again. The 3rd time, leave it in the ON position and the diagnostic code will appear on the odometer display.

· Registered
7,485 Posts
Noontime greetings from the Rouge nape capital of Kentucky. Lunch is served. A pickle from Skruske's Favorite pickle factory Hausbeck and a can of Viennas.
Food Tableware Ingredient Dishware Staple food

Judy Brown is at a weekly gathering of Quiltin Wimmen down by @kogersamuel for the day.
Before I forget it, I want to compliment the Carpman on the nice job on the Purse for @was skruske Ax. Very nice.
Damcows were fed without any fatalities today and Dean is out Killing Coyotes at his house.
Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Tail Squirrel

A notheren.
Snow Carnivore Felidae Water Whiskers

@ShaneG. I posted those contest photos on KHF and it was a Hit. Folks want to know what scope you are using as that had been a hot topic on there lately.
There is a YouTube channel called "Not My Cat." Many videos.
This:
Is Not My Cat, but hes standing here like he owns the place. Name is "Brahms" and kinda belongs to DIL.
Cat Vertebrate Felidae Carnivore Grey

Cat Felidae Carnivore Flooring Floor

Hes in JBs pile of patches but I won't tell on him. He is a BIG Cat...never had one this size....17# and size of a Maine Coonz cat.
Guess I'll throw him out in the Snow...but we don't have any at 47°.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts