Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
52° here in Upstate NY this morning under fair starry skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 77°. It will be a beautiful day with a light breeze of about 5 to 7mph in the afternoon.

Yesterday I was on the road once again for most of the day and then when I did get home, I was working on two computers here at the house. I will be on the road this morning and this afternoon I hope to be able to do what I want to do.

Prayers for the people of Ukraine and our members who need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
71° here already this morning as I head out the door. Got some 6BR loaded yesterday and will head to the range tonight for final testing. I was going to do it last night but my granddaughter decided it would be a good day to go fishing. I met her and my son at a pond and we did quite a bit of hiking. She was quite a trooper and insisted on carrying some of our gear. The best part of the evening was sitting at a picnic table before we left. We had some Kool-aid and a small snack and just enjoyed one another’s company. She had hundreds of questions about the things we saw and sounds we heard.
More packin’ and sackin’ tonight. Make it a good day.
Plant Shorts Plant community People in nature Hat

Water Tree People in nature Sunlight Happy

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 68, rainy and heating up to 90. Might be a good range day, yesterday was but other things came first.
Today's plan includes working on rifle scope issues, I got new rings from Brownell's yesterday. I need to finalize trip plans too.
I know most of you are getting ready to leave for Somerset, I'll be there in spirit only. I leave a week from now for Colorado Springs and the CGCA show.
Hope everyone has a great, warm day without storms.
Ken

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
Good morning all. It’s 73 in Indy heading for damnear 90. Golf again today. Time to start thinking about what’s going to the Reunion Shoot. Guns have been selected but Friday’s menu items are up for consideration. Planning on borrowing some of Charlie’s fire to grill something. Most everything at the Chinese buffet is off my diet now. So are pancakes but I’m still going to the joint. Gotta’ head that way. Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Great morning folks,

First night of the year to remain over 60° and we will be topping out in the upper 80's today here near HalfwayUSA. We are expecting a quickly passing shower shortly. Cloudy to follow for much of the day but we will get to see a pretty sunset.

Goop got smeared on an oak arm chair yesterday. Gunk got scuffed off. I'm about halfway done. The old Zip strip still works but is discolored brown. If this was a show piece that would be unacceptable but since this is a $2.00 rummage sale chair, the brown stain is just about perfect. (y)

About noon Debra Dearest asked about a cracked shutter on the Halfway House. 20 minutes and an extension ladder later all the shutters were off the house. As you can imagine, sun faded siding left a shadow where the old shutters were. The next three hours were Debra Dearest making a decision or rather NOT making a decision between new green shutters or new maroon shutter. I cleaned up the chair and then cleaned myself up & took her to Menards to put actual eyeballs on the new shutters. She stood in front of the display and said "This is so hard to decide" :rolleyes: I replied "I'm going to get a cart. You decide by the time I get back". She did, we paid & headed home after a stop at the grocery store.

With her help, I had the new shutters installed by 4pm. Green shutters replaced the faded cracked green shutters. Seemed like and easy choice to me but what do I know about that sort of thing...

Mole traps got tripped 4 times yesterday but not carcass to find. I moved traps around & tried a claw trap too.

More chair work today. A trip to Tractor Supply for bird seed and salt. Some firewood that fell over last night will need to be stacked up.

Disappointingly, Debra Dearest & I won't be traveling to the shoot this weekend. Her favorite cousin is throwing a wedding & attendance is required. I don't believe there will be any shooting involved but you just never know with that outlaw side of her family.:unsure:

·
Registered
13,926 Posts
Mornin boys...
Upper 40s here high on RUGER MT this morning.
Took off work to get stuff ready for Sat. Supposed to be some new shooters coming and I told'em they could shoot my guns. So I need to make sure I have enough for all of us. Looking forward to seeing the gang. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
Good morning varmints. It's 50-ish here headed to 75 maybe??? Gonna be a nice day. Strange weather we're having though. George Ken and Skruse are all warmer than me, Pancake Doug is into the 90's, and still 50 and sorta chilly here? Dammit May's half over, can I get some heat? Also, they're talking about the storm off the coast which may be a named storm already. Doesn't matter if it's named or not, it's causing a ruckus on the Outer Banks NC. Houses in Rodanthe are collapsing into the ocean. Miss Sue always talked about buying a beachfront home on Hatteras. I told her buy a row or two back from the dunes...eventually you'll be right on the water. This poor schmuck probably lost a half million dollar or more home on the water. This isn't even a big house...totally gone. Not even a lot is left to rebuild. I don't need to deal with that crap. Miss Sue has since started looking for a place on solid ground, near VA Beach instead.

Sky Water Wood Tire House

Last night I worked at the gun shop. Picked up a Tikka T3x Compact for the kids with the gift cards I accumulated. We didn't have rings so I won't be bringing it along to Jackie's this weekend to sight in. Nice, handy little rifle. It comes with spacers to replace the recoil pad and extend it to full size. Kids will be able to grow into it, and have it for a long time. I also picked up some 220 gr 300 BO ammo. I really need to shoot that upper I got almost 2 months ago. Haven't had time to even think about shooting it. Now I have 2 guns to break in...and I can see how my suppressor works as well.

I got a bit more stuff gathered for the trip to Jackie's, and made a list of what we need. I'll stop by the grocery store to pick up some things after work and load the camper onto the truck when I get home. Scott, sorry you guys won't be making it this year. Was looking forward to seeing your new camper.

Well, I need to get busy. Prayers sent. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good Morning Everyone from the shores of the Chesapeake Bay in rural VA where their ain't no damn gators or rattlesnakes.😁😁😁. 53 headed to a high of 62 wif 17-20 mph winds , but it is sunny .
Yesterday I got the Mondo grass weeded out that we planted last year . It took a good 4 hours of steady hard hoeing but it's completed . Used the fertilizer I had and have more coming today .
Got to run to Gloucester County Courthouse and Yorktown yep where the Revolutionary War was fought and Cornwallis surrendered today to ship a Benelli Ethos 28 gauge I just couldn't get use to. This shotgun being so lite since I shot heavy target guns for years it was just toooo whippy . Hopefully the new owner will enjoy .
Then back to more yard work . I set up a appointment for the local exterior cleaning company to wash the outside of the house in 3 weeks the pollen should be completed by then . I don't do ladders and I haven't in many years .
Well everyone have a great day and stay warm dry and safe.
Happy Trails to you until we met again,
HHH
Gabriel that's a peaceful looking setting enjoy.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
HAPPY HUMP DAY, GoGo! It's a warm 69 in Louisville, 87% humidity and going to 89. It's partly cloudy right now, but I think it's gonna be clear most of the day.

Building a spalted maple tabletop for Miss Cindy is turning out to be a little expensive, but it's also an excuse to add to my tool bin. A few weeks ago I invested in a 3 1/2" electric hand planer to joint the edges where the boards would meet. Then I asked if she'd rather have the table edges a little rounded rather than just square. That meant another trip to Harbor Freight for a hand router and bits. I'm also learning about a really nice hand plane that belonged to Cindy's grandpa and I'm trying to figure out something called a card scraper that smooths wood surfaces a little differently than sandpaper. Do we have any woodworkers here among the GoGo crew? I know Skruske can glue and refinish $2 chairs.

Speaking of Scott, I'm heartbroken that he and Debra can't make the reunion. That means they absolutely are gonna have to work in a short Louisville stop the next time they go visit JR. Members of the Black Rifle Mafia are gonna be disappointed, too, because Scott always has good tips to try on EBRs that just don't cycle 100% of the time.

My Hump Day offering today is a retro photo that our old hot rodders should appreciate.
Tire Wheel Car Hood Waist

Gotta get cleaned up and go get cortisone shots in my knees here in a bit so I can walk at this weekend's big event.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends here, for our nation and for Ukraine.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 70º and cloudy here headed for the low 90's.

Most of yesterday was spent with the gun safe. I met the Lock and Safe crew at the old house and watched as they moved it. They built a bridge over the threshold and one 8" step and rolled the safe out on a pallet juck to a special built trailer. The new house didn't have the step to deal with and they rolled it right in and got it in place. I spent the afternoon wiping guns down, verifying serial numbers and loading the safe back up. I've moved and helped move several gun safes that weighed 300 to 500 pounds but my current one weighs a tad over 1900# so being older and wiser (maybe) I hired the pro's to do it. A little over $400 and was money well spent!

Todays plan is to go get the last of the stuff from the old house. You know the stuff I mean, bird feeders, historical rocks, ect ect. Back when I was able to walk I was an avid Headhunter and I have several interesting rocks that were used as tools, gringing stones, ect, sitting on the porch and around the flower beds.

Speaking of Birds, we got one feeder put out yesterday and a Cardinal has already found it. We have woods behind the house and are hoping to attract birds. No doubt it will be developed some day but for now we have a pretty stand of mostly hardwood timber behind the house.

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Well, I've rambled on enough. Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
62 with some clouds in the hollow this morning, will get close to 90 by afternoon. My right lower jaw is still tender, but nothing I could call pain. This is after an extraction, a root canal and prepping for a four tooth bridge. Pretty good dentist, but he doesn't work cheap. Tarcila has gone across town to watch the grandson who is turning into a handful. Better her than me as I don't tolerate unruly children very well. Good or bad, I learned it from my Dad. I won't be making the trip to Somerset as I have dg sitting duties while Tarcila goes to Virginia for the weekend. Will miss seeing everyone.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
GM from the sticks of Kentucky and it is a nice day. We do NOT have a hurricane or tropical storm to look forward to.

Dean said he be along ater while as he got busy.
Sky Asphalt Working animal Road surface Fawn

He did send a Hump Day Photo and I had one Yday of Otis the Cat with a lady friend bent over the kitchen table. On the "Cat" thread that @charlie sterner started.

Gotta get a water pump belt fir the Zuki/Metro but that will be the last Part I buy for it, I think.
@Greyfox still never told me the name of that Crow/Raven looking bird.
Gotta run

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Wellll, that pic isn't Miss Hurst, Gden Shifter but definitely qualified.
Warm day y'day. Air evac (simulated) was canx so we went back to walking on circles being g trialed and deconned. More decon today. Rumors are rampant about an early wrap up. I can alway's hope. Cases to stuff, gear to gather. :)
Wife is up towards Doug today w the5 mo old grand daughter. I'll see her tonigh and looking fwd to sleeping in till 6 or 7. The 0400 lost its luster years ago.
All Y'all do well. - Tom out

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Good morning ggvg
Got brass prep done last night for beths 223 don't know why i have 15 rounds of target ammo from 2018 bbb that was never used.
Thats enough to win 🏆
U'all have a great day and prayers sent

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
KF, card scrapers are very handy. You bend them and push away from your body. Keep them sharp and with a nice burr. I have both rectangular and curved ones. The curved ones almost look like a French curve for drafting/mechanical drawing but are alloy steel for wood finishing. I like the Nicholson brand but have a cheapy from HF also.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Morning all, 73 headed to 85 and humid as heck. Worked in the shop yesterday, 2 hours, then went and put the battery charger on the tractor battery, for 3 hours. Then greased everything, and mowed 3 fields off, low to kill the buttercup, and high to clip the top half of the grass off and reseed. I have the thickest grass we have had in 12 years, due to doing this last year and letting the pasture rest a few months. Got to run a few errands with the wife in a few, and mow the yard this evening maybe. You all have a good one, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts