Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10° here in Upstate NY under cloudy skies, they were calling for light snow overnight but we haven't had any. The high temperature for today will only get up to about 20° with partly cloudy conditions all day. We have another snow storm coming tomorrow.

Yesterday things cleared up a little and the temperature warmed up and melted some before cooling back off. I had to fix two computers that were brought here to me and today I have to be on the road for part of the day. I have two packages coming today I think as they were supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't because of the ice north of us. I know I am ready for better weather to come, I have had about enough winter this year.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Good morning from snow bound NC Ohio it's -5 now going to 19. I have not been to the green house for 3 days now, still no path snow plow tried could not push thru the drift between house and GH. What a time for the loader too be broke down. Well known weather man showed a map of snow fall, lucky me I'm in the 11 inch band. This old fart is not about to start shoveling thru a 5 foot snow drift, I will call the kubota dealer and ask politely where are the PARTS!!!! Be safe and stay healthy my friends Prayers to all, the storm victims and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good mornin from WV, it's 14* here, we had some light snow last night, the nasty stuff is coming in tonight, heavy wet show, ice, sleet and maybe some rain. I guess if you give all three ya can't miss. I'm off today, not going to do much around here, sure glad I'm tired. You all stay safe out there.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 19 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
It snowed most of the day yesterday but it went away as fast as it fell.
Supposed to warm up some and fair tomorrow I think and then snow
Friday. We'll see...it's what it is and we'll just go with the flow.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 2 below and warming up to 10 above, of course that means snow, at least a little bit of it.
It is a good day to stay home, but the coffee shop opens at 4pm.
Not much else, everyone stay warm,
Ken

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great morning folks,

I think we hit the bottom of winter this morning with a temperature of -12.9° here near HalfwayUSA. With the clear sky & sunshine we should rise to 20° by late afternoon. Next week the highs will be in the low 30's.

It took us two full hours to clear the drifts from the driveway yesterday. I remade the path to the woodshed and by the time I fed the critters I was chilled through even though the temp rose to 10°.

The big truck is getting plugged in shortly as I have to travel to Grayling to visit my old hunting partner. He's hit peak cabin fever as he hasn't been out of the house since Friday when I took him to town. I told him to tee up a couple golf balls & whack at them right in his living room. I said I'd bring along my dry wall tools & repair any damage. He said he give it a try. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Coffee is hot, stop by for a cup if you're in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Good morning gents. 1. One. Not won. Just one degree in Indy this morning. Gonna be a lot of frozen stuff laying around here including up to 16” of snow on the deck. Wonder what’s the total weight of that snow/ice on a 20x20 deck.

The roads were pretty good by yesterday afternoon, I’m told. Counties around here lifted their travel restrictions. My truck never left the garage.

Heading for the pancake joint to meet a grandson. Have a good day.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
A nice brisk morning here in the sticks of Kentucky at +14 degrees and a couple inches of fluffy snow added to the layer of ice crunch we already had.
The highway is snow covered still but the Big Road was clear yesterday but not now. I have an appointment in Lexington for a Chinese virus vaccine, but I don't think I will go. They have been shut down and I don't know about today; can't find out anything.
Rather than risk getting on the Interstate 75 demolition derby I will wait and let someone else take it.
I was cancelled here Monday and have promise of one next Monday.... Maybe.
Eastern Kentucky hill country is in a bad way with power out to a lot of the region. 145,000 customer s yesterday but hopefully some fewer today.
It's dark outside so I can't yet tell if there are any cows upside down.

Have a safe day and MPC stay off the snow shovel.

Greyfox little pecking bird has pecked the whole side out of my Squirrels feeder.
Caught him in the act.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
morning all. 3 above here, must have cleared off. High twenties for the warm part of the day. Looks like we missed another good chance for snow again. Hope the mountains got some, really dry here.
Moved another bunch of cows to their calving grounds, all should be where they'll be for a couple months now.
Worked on the old Dodge flat bed pickup yesterday, got it out of the shed, changed a tire (hope the one I put on holds air), checked fluid levels and adjusted the clutch. Ready for helping out with feeding cows. Boss man was feeling stressed yesterday trying to get all fed with just one pickup!
Don't know what today will bring, might know more about it tonight.
You all have a Happy Hump Day. Be safe and careful out there. Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Take heart Kentucky; Detroit Edison, DTE or ITC on the trucks, is coming down there to help with power restoration. They are sending 60 crews and trucks. They can handle it. They are also sending 58 trucks to West Virginia and regular Virginia. I wonder how many that leaves us....
It was a brisk -7 degrees for the daily pee pee walk today. That’s for Red T. Basset, not me. He then turned around and wanted to come right back in.
The deers were hungry last night and came right up on the desk to feast on euonymous. I’m taking bets on whether the Christmas lights in them will work next Christmas. View attachment 26146 View attachment 26145

Sorry Francis I tried to delete the extra photos and I think I got them all.
mrmurl

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
10* and light snow on the way to a high of 23, here in the northern Ozarks. Getting ready to head toward the hospital for my spinal shot this morning. Not looking forward to making this trip in the snow and on the snowy highways. You-all have great day, prayers for all in need, God Bless!

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 21 here. Yesterday was gorgeous after the ice melted off. It got up to 43 here and was bright and sunny. Then the wind kicked up and the temperature dropped like a stone. It was 28 when I left the gun shop at 7:30 and blowing a gale. Wood stove barely keeps the house warm in that stuff. Furnace had to kick on a few times. Oh well, we're getting closer to spring each day. They are calling for 5-8" more snow here tonight thru tomorrow. I guess I'll bring more wood in today after work. Ah well...

I did get some more 44 mag brass loaded, tumbled some 38 spl and got it sized. I also tumbled some brand spaking new 22 TCM brass I had gotten several years ago that for some reason got all corroded. Not all, like 5 pieces in the bag were so bad I pitched them. Not sure how 5 pieces out of 100 could get corroded and the rest be fine, but they did???? Tumbled with some turtle wax in the media, hope it helps keep them nice and shiny.

Running late today...this is all I got for ya Mikey. Happy HUMP DAY.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
HAPPY HUMP DAY, GoGo! It's 9 degrees in Louisville, going to 27, which is the warmest we've seen in a while. The front that comes in late tonight was supposed to be worse than the first, but it has fizzled for us here in Louisville. Now it looks like an inch of snow overnight and maybe another inch during the day tomorrow. Good news there.

Didn't do much yesterday beyond work-work. I did get another layer of oil finish on one knife handle and I started monkeying around on paper to lay out a sheath pattern for another fixed-blade hunter. Watched a few YouTube vids and found some pretty good info about using Minwax Wood Hardener on knife scales. Nowhere nearly as good as proper vacuum stabilization with resin, but it does appear you can get some penetration and a worthwhile amount of hardening on thin scales with this stuff.

If hot coffee and a roaring fire aren't keeping you warm, maybe this will help. I think this young lady is at a ski resort in West Virginia.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there. Good decision, MPC, to leave that path to the greenhouse alone.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
17º with cloudy skies in the hollow. The birds have been fed and half the coffee consumed. Glad we still have TVA power here, although about 50 miles east one of my best friends has been out of power a couple of days due to the ice. We suggested he come to our house, but they haven't taken us up on the offer yet. More ice and snow is forecast for tonight, so that could change his mind. I made it out to the post office yesterday and the roads were very bad. Almost nothing was was open. Banks were even closed. Will have to admit I've rather enjoyed this forced vacation, but I'm beginning to feel the need to get out and do something. Will probably do my highest paying stop today, a hospital and have several stops tomorrow including a visit to my dentist. For now, a little more coffee. JR, Slate colored Junco

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 16º and snowing here and not expected to get much warmer, maybe to 20. The snow started during the night and some thunder woke me up about 3:30.

Yesterday was another day of feeding the fire and feeding the birds. I think the birds are going through the seed about as fast as the fireplace is going through wood! I did get out to go to the post office yesterday but it was closed! The streets in the neighborhood are covered in snow and ice but out on the highway there were some ruts that were open. The kids are having fun pulling sleds with their 4 wheelers.

Today is a repeat of yesterday. Feeding the birds and the fireplace. I need to get a package mailed off but I'll probably just stay home and wait for another day.

Surprisingly we are not having very many power outages. We have started having rolling blackouts. Customers are chosen at random to be disconnected for an hour. The boy that took my place when I retired came by yesterday and stayed a while. I always said a good Serviceman knew where to get a meal! My Wife fed him a bowel of Chili. We talked about guns that we're not shooting and bullets that we're not casting!

Prayers for Mr Murl, Mr Bruce and any others in need. Also for those fighting the Chinese Virus, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one, be safe and try to stay warm.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Christie Brinkley was on Johnny Carson last night - 1985. She wasn't whining, but in the course of the show mentioned that it was work. Water shots, underwater shots, cold, up at 6 going till dark..... She did not mention needing to keep a relaxed look, happy look, seductive look etc to fit the shot. But that would have to play into it imo. She was down to earth, refreshing and not at all conceited or "show biz" affected. 35 yrs later, I'm curious as to how Father Time has treated her.
No snow here either last night. Only 3-4" y'day so Doug wins, hands down. The crown is yours Doug. You can have it. :)

I was decapping LC y'day then set up the Dillon swager. That is adjusted and everything proven w the Henderson primer. I think I'll test the waters and see if shiny primed brass has a mkt at todays prices. I have a gob of 9mm enroute. I am considering a seal a meal type set up. Buy a roll/sleeve of 6 mil plastic and seal, cut, fill then seal. I never have used one, seen one. Any suggestions?

TT then move some iron. I've been slacking this week.

Say Mike, are you thinking about hitting the National Gun Day show this w/e? I'm not sure myself. Maybe Sat. If I do, will prob be at an end cap which includes the SIRP club info, glossies etc. I'll see if I can get the tubing formed. Finding the PBike57 dies will be the hardest part. I'll either use some virgin but stained 25yo WW '06 brass, LC 308 or some 22-250 from an old boardie.

Best get moving. This easy chair and fresh cuppa sure has an attraction. Tom out

Reactions: Kentucky Fisherman
1 - 20 of 25 Posts