Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Wednesday Morning

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Kermit in Va. 
#1 ·
33° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy overcast skies. The high temperature for today will get up to about 45° and be partly sunny. It will be a welcome change to the last few days. We have a 30% chance of rain showers late this afternoon and tonight.

Yesterday morning I had to go for my six month checkup with my Dr. All my blood work was good and I had a memory test which I managed to pass. If it weren't for my sinuses I would be all right, they bother me a lot in the winter. We had another snow day yesterday, it started to snow when I was at the Dr.'s and we got another two inches. I am hoping it will be settling down a little bit soon. I have to be on the road today for awhile and my Daughter is coming this afternoon to pick up some things for my SIL and her.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

#2 ·
Good morning from Waseca, it's 32 and that is it for the day, mostly cloudy. The warm weather is nice, it kinda offsets the freezing days, at least with the heat bill.
Yesterday I spent the morning trying to make brass for my Bubba Swiss rifle. I had gotten some reloads to chamber and fire, measuring them with resized brass I found the chamber is really short. I need to shove the shoulder back a lot. I got that done, with much patience. And lots of fussing with tools.
Today is getting organized, I am leaving for Kansas City early tomorrow morning. I should have some stories to tell when I get back.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

#3 ·
Good mornin gang from WV, it's 37* and the stars are out, temps to 60* today and lots of sunshine, sounds good for my old bones. No work again today, may try and go shoot some, we'll see how the day goes. Critters and birds are fed and coffee is on, you all have a good and safe one today.

#4 ·
Be careful, Ken, and what happens in KC stays in KC. Thirty four right now in Michigan’s Thumb. I broke out the snow shoes for the morning walk and Red T. Basset cried foul. This two feet of snow and the crust on top makes for a slow go for the dog.....and me, hence the snow shoes.

#5 ·
Mornin boys...
Low 30s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Looks like today will be sunny and warm, may hit mid 60s.
Gotta put a freezer unit on the roof today, we got the inside
unit in and a lot of the inside stuff ready to go. Looks like rain is on
the way this weekend, planned to fish sat but we'll have to see
just how much rain we want to fish in.
you all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

#6 ·
Good morning from NC Ohio 35 now may hit 50 with 30 winds.. I don't handle wind well so it will be house. greenhouse or barn today hiding !! I did get call and scheduled for the virus vaccine. That's about it around here, KYF did you get the PM I sent to you? Be safe and healthy Prayers to all and those requested. Special Prayer for the country. Mike

#7 ·
morning all. 23 this morning, should warm up nicely later, but a storm moving around the north part of the state will bring on the wind and possible snow flakes.
Hung out with the cows on and off all day. But had to rescue the old Dodge feed truck, blew out a front tire while feeding cows, but I found another used tire and got it going again in short order.
Also started a sprinkler project, have to work on one of the center pivots. Need to replace one of the four angle iron legs. Good job for Shane but his service call would be a little high I'm afraid.
I did get some shots fired off yesterday and a couple of them hit coyotes!!! Got two more yesterday :ROFLMAO: . One big male and a pup female from last year. Kinda made my day.
Better get moving along, have a happy Hump Day and be safe what ever you are doing. Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

#10 ·
Great morning folks,

Already we see 38° with another chance for a bit of sun peeking through the cloud cover here near HalfwayUSA. The glaciers are receding quickly.

Yesterday's trip to the old hunting partner's place got more tasks completed. His woodstove is cleaned out & more firewood is placed at the hearth. About 3/4 of the house no longer looks like a hoarder's home. I got rid of junk mail dating back to 2007 that was boxed & taking up space in the small bedroom. I have some research to do about his Health Directive documents - power of attorney. It appears that they are not signature notarized. The attorney that made the document is no longer practicing since she lost her license. I get to sort out a mess. It will probably require another DPOA be created, signed & notarized.:mad:

I expect to have the truck washed today. Hopefully the quarter machine will have quarters. Debra Dearest drove through the automatic yesterday & managed to avoid getting messed up on her way home.

#11 ·
Good morning, GoGo. It's an incredible 53 degrees in Louisville, going to the mid-60s and sunny. One week ago, we woke up to 12 degrees. Incredible.

Mikey (MPC), I don't seem to have a PM from you.

I promised yesterday to tell you what I learned about the likely reason I went to the refrigerator/freezer in my unheated garage last week and found some venison sausage wasn't frozen hard. Rest of the venison was like a brick. Many are blaming the salt in the sausage, but there's a more likely reason that I had never heard of. It turns out, newer refrigerator/freezer combos get all confused if they are in an unheated garage and the temp falls below about 20 degrees for several days. The thermostat is checking the fridge temp, not the freezer temp, so if the fridge is cold enough, the compressor never kicks on. So, instead of keeping your freezer around 0 or a bit above, the compressor never kicks on and your frozen food slowly thaws. Might not be a problem, but very well could be, and you’d never know your “frozen” food had thawed some and then was refrozen when the garage temp got back up to the 30-35 range. Who knew? Here’s a good video that explains it.

Tc tom, we're still praying for your DIL and the baby. Hopefully the C-section will go smoothly and you'll have a healthy grandhild, just a little early. Please let us know.

Hope the rest of y'all have as good a day as I'm gonna have. Be safe out there. Murl, we're still praying for you, Koger, and others who have asked.

#13 ·
Good morning folks. And happy HUMP DAY Mikey. It's 36 here headed to 50's later! We saw 46 yesterday but it was windy, and that wind blowing across snow pack felt cold. The sun sure did feel good on the face though. More sun today, I might have to get out and do something after work. Not sure what, but anything outside would be nice for a change. Hopefully the snow melts off the roof so I can do a quick chimney check. At least knock the creosote off the cap. I haven't been able to get on the roof in a month to check it out. I got some new sunflower seed feeders in the mail yesterday from Amazon and a new wooden feeder for mixed seed and the dang birds don't seem to like them? I took one feeder from out front and replaced the one out back with it and the birds don't seem to like it now either? LOL I guess they'll figure it out! At least they're not emptying the feeder every day now. Maybe now with the warm weather and snow melt they aren't as hungry?

Well, I'm running late. Better get to work. Prayers offered. Keep us posted on your daughter and grand TC Tom.

Have a good one.

Charlie

#14 ·
Morning all, 45 headed to 62 today here an abundant sunshine! KF read your post on the shotgun self defense, hope he did not hurt the barrel to bad. Got out in the shop yesterday afternoon and powder coated 450 9mm slugs and size them afterwards, an also coated 150 8mm slugs 175 grs. Going to do another 150 8mms today. Got about 100 .50 cal, 450slugs cast for my 50/70 Sharps carbine. On tap for today, a buddy is coming down to shoot a couple of his rifles, and we are going to shoot my latest 6.5x55 build with a Krieger barrel, have some hot 120 and 140 gr slugs loaded up, using the data for modern rifles. I need to hunt up some VV560 to get max velocities out of the 140gr.We are also going to be shooting my .40/82 Hi Wall and also using a .22 liner in it that is supposed to be a tack driver. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, especially your DIL TC Tom, butff out.

#15 ·
Morning Gents!

Its 52º and sunny here headed for the low 60's. It hit 72 yesterday afternoon. It looks like rain is in the forecast for the weekend and next week.

Yesterday was a slow day with chores being the main event. The post office did cancel my lost money order and issued me another one that was in my mail box.

There are no big plans for today either. Its just a slow time of year for me. The Wife is not feeling good or we would probably get out and go for a ride. Check out the Eagle Nest that we know about and look for new ones.

Prayers offered for those in need, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

#17 ·
Good morning everyone....About 48° here already. DId a few things around the house so I was running behind but had to wait until TCS was open anyway to get bolts and some grease. I put new U-joints in the Suburban last night and ran out as it all went into the end loader. I'm pretty sure the U-joints were the original 226K mile parts. Damn 2 of the clips were rusted in bad. I picked and beat on those thing and they just kept breaking out in little pieces. After that is wasn't so bad.

I'm sure now that those are fixed something else will decide to give up the ghost but for what I got in it I ain't gonna complain too much and it worked damn good to hunt out of this weekend. We put that thing in some deep snow and it made it through everything pretty damn good except one hidden ditch but it backed out.

I put my .223 back in the full length stock last night...I need to fire a couple rounds at paper to check sight in since I'm positive it moved.

Dean I could probably weld for prairie dogs!.....lol

Hope everyone has a good day!

#18 ·
Good morning everyone....About 48° here already. DId a few things around the house so I was running behind but had to wait until TCS was open anyway to get bolts and some grease. I put new U-joints in the Suburban last night and ran out as it all went into the end loader. I'm pretty sure the U-joints were the original 226K mile parts. Damn 2 of the clips were rusted in bad. I picked and beat on those thing and they just kept breaking out in little pieces. After that is wasn't so bad.

I'm sure now that those are fixed something else will decide to give up the ghost but for what I got in it I ain't gonna complain too much and it worked damn good to hunt out of this weekend. We put that thing in some deep snow and it made it through everything pretty damn good except one hidden ditch but it backed out.

I put my .223 back in the full length stock last night...I need to fire a couple rounds at paper to check sight in since I'm positive it moved.

Dean I could probably weld for prairie dogs!.....lol

Hope everyone has a good day!
Shane, I saw several p-dogs out this morning and one hair-less coyote... and he's still running, just a little faster than when I spotted him!!!

#19 ·
Howdy all. Tried to post this morning but I got some BS message about cookies being required. Never got that before. Anyway, it’s 70 here and I took the day off from golf to avoid ruining my 75th birthday. My golfing buddies are stopping by for cake and ice cream later on.

Just got a call from my BIL. He’s run into obe of those widder women who happens to have a bunch of reloading stuff she needs to get rid of. Amongst that is several thousand small pistol primers and a few lbs of AA2200. Yes, I would be interested!

Hope you’re all having a good day.

Reactions: CarlP
#22 ·
Doug
If you have not used 220 before remember to clean the barrel and action well. It is a very dirt powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.