Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
46° here in Upstate NY this morning under mostly cloudy skies, there has been a possibility of a little rain overnight but thus far we haven't had any. The high temperature for today is to get up to about 66° and be nice and sunny. There is a 20% chance of a shower today.

Yesterday was a nice day, I was on the road in the morning and in the afternoon I got some work done around here. We had a doggy system the back upper corner that we hadn't used in years so I dug it out and filled in the hole with top soil and seeded over it. I also had to process four membership renewals so I could get them out in the mail today. This morning I am going up to the gun club and shoot for a time, it has been busy for me and I need sometime to myself. I haven't done any shooting since last fall and I want to do some this spring instead of working all the time.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Good morning from the Mountains, it's 48* and clear, high today in the upper 70's, I Love It! The farm was busy yesterday, they ran my ol legs off, and my RA was not kind yesterday. I got my front grass cut last evening, it sure is growing fast. That's about it, have a good one today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sixty in south central KY this morning, headed to the upper 70's with thunder storms on the way.
Need to do a lit'l handloading, so it's gonna be a good day, today.
Prayers for our country.

///

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 58 going to near 80 with sunshine. It is dry in this area for early April. Need to mow today before it could rain tomorrow. Need to get my back stop fixed so I can do some shooting here at home. Be safe and healthy Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
morning all. 27 to start another windy day. Was really nasty yesterday, cold,dirty wind all day. Sure today will be the same.
Started off yesterday checking cows, drove into the field and saw a couple cows on the fight, thought dogs or coyotes must be there some where. Didn't find any, saw a cow laying down out on the sprinkler circle went to check if she was having calving problems, wasn't! She was dead! But had a broken arrow beside her. Called the boss man and he got there in a couple minutes. He called the sheriff and we started back tracking on the blood trail. Then we found more problems! One of the other cows had calved and the calf was gone!
Will have to finish this later, sorry, hold the thought for a while. Gotta go, running late.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Great morning everybody,

52 with some scattered clouds as the sun peeks over the trees here near HalfwayUSA. 80 something later.

Yesterday started off loading 100 rds of .223. Then it was on the road north to my old hunting partner's place. Chores got handled and I moved firewood. He had it piled in the front yard for a couple years. It was mostly under a tarp so at least it ws mostly dry. I stacked some on the porch & the rest went under cover in his woodshed. His lawn mower sat in the woodshed all winter with gas in the tank. I was expecting it to not want to start but to my large surprise, after a thorough priming it started on the first pull. His house is in the Jack Pines so their isn't much grass to cut but I will get that duty for the 2-4 times it will need it this summer. Glad the push mower is up to the occasional task.

Last evening I got another 100rds loaded.

Today, Debra Dearest & I are going to my old Aunt & Uncles to continue to help pack up their house for the move to Cabot Arkansas. The plan is to load up all the things they are taking over the weekend of May 8-9 & roll out on the 10th. Looks like we will not be attending the get together at Buck Creek.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Good morning all. Already sitting in the pancake joint trying to decide what to have. Life’s decisions can be tough. Planned on golfing again today but the grandson’s work schedule changed so my schedule changed. The plan now is to go to ProTEQ and shoot steel.

·
Administrator
12,274 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 52 with some clouds here. Thought we might get some rain, but no. Forecast keeps changing. They were calling for a rained out weekend, now it's just spotty showers and storms. We could use a little rain, but dry is okay. I get more done outside, and there is still a lot to do. I need to change the oil in my mowers, sharpen blades, see if they start, and get the back yard mowed. I need to put fertilizer and crabgrass preventer down, but am afraid to...I'll be mowing twice a week. Plenty of other stuff to do to keep me busy. Like yesterday...3 jobs, one to the other. Seven AM to 8 PM. I was pooped. Still busy as hell at my day job, speaking of which, is calling. No time for HUMP DAY pics. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
morning all. Part two:
Deputy showed up shortly, which was a real shock! Started taking pics and investigating, we found people tracks, where they drug the baby calf off and alot of their things they dropped along the way.
Like arrows, quiver, a kids bow, where they fell in the willows and broke a 22 rifle stock and left part of it, the dead calf with a arrow hole in it, a spot light ect.
Dumb people, think they ran when I drove in the field. Tracks went toward houses just off the field. Deputy called for backup and they hauled two people off, both had records and warrants out from other areas. Drugs were involved also.
But why kill a cow and a new born baby calf. So now we have a cow without a calf and a calf without a mom to deal with, hopefully we can make a pair of the two.
Just never know what you'll find when you step out the door in the morning, into the WILD WILD WEST! Watch out of the indians!
Have a great day and prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

And in the search of the house they found drugs, another real bow and the rest of the broken rifle!

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
HAPPY HUMP DAY, GoGo! It's 58 in Louisville, going to 81, with storms coming in around mid-afternoon.

Since Charlie didn't have time for a Hump Day photo, I'll offer up this one. I don't think these are spring flowers, but most of you won't notice them anyway.

You can tell this is an old-guy forum because we talk a lot about aches, pains, "arthur," and the nosleepums. That's life, right? I bring that up in order to declare that I got some of the best sleep last night that I've had in ages. I think it has to do with temp as much as anything. I saw that the low last night was to be around 60, so I put the box fan in the bedroom window pulling air in, and I left it on high. Slept like a log.

Should be a light day for work-work, so I may try to make some progress on a paring knife I'm building for Miss Cindy. She picked out some nice spalted maple for the scales. Scales are trimmed to approximate shape and the next step is to drill 'em and do the glue-up.

Scott, I'm really sad to hear that y'all may not make the used-to-be-BBB gathering. Cindy is only working Tue-Thu these days, so maybe when y'all come down for a visit with the Carters we can drive down and join you for a day.

TAJ, I have your care package ready, but I'm trying to find a cost-effective way to ship it. It weighs 2 pounds and all the carriers, including USPS, want something like $7-$8 to ship it. I see there's a Cracker Barrel in Scottsburg, so a meet-up there might be enjoyable. I'd as soon spend my $7-$8 on gasoline, biscuits and gravy rather than donate it to the pathetic USPS. I'm Mike Jones and I endorse these opinions. Ha!

Y'all have a good'n, and be safe out there. Prayers up for our friends who are ailing and for our nation.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Heck of a story there, Dean. Some people just have no sense of decency. Hopefully, they’ll get a good taste of justice this time, but I doubt it. They are just plain old dumb.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 64º and cloudy here headed for the mid 70's. We have rain and T'storms forecast for the afternoon. The hot weather girl on tv is all excited, talking about potential strong storms across the State.

Yesterday was a lazy day. The Wife and I drove up to Heber to see my buddies lakehouse and visited with him and his brother while they painted. After that we drove around the lake for a little while before returning home.

Todays plan is that a couple of buddies will be here in a little while and we plan to cast in the shop. I have enough circuits behind my work bench to run 3 casting pots, a hot plate or two, a fan and a radio. We sit and cast while visiting and in the afternoon we usually have a beer or two.

Its sad to hear about Dean's cows being shot. Sure glad to hear that those guys were caught. Hopefully the Mama cow will adopt the calf.

Prayers offered for our members in need, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Administrator
1,813 Posts
morning all. Part two:
Deputy showed up shortly, which was a real shock! Started taking pics and investigating, we found people tracks, where they drug the baby calf off and alot of their things they dropped along the way.
Like arrows, quiver, a kids bow, where they fell in the willows and broke a 22 rifle stock and left part of it, the dead calf with a arrow hole in it, a spot light ect.
Dumb people, think they ran when I drove in the field. Tracks went toward houses just off the field. Deputy called for backup and they hauled two people off, both had records and warrants out from other areas. Drugs were involved also.
But why kill a cow and a new born baby calf. So now we have a cow without a calf and a calf without a mom to deal with, hopefully we can make a pair of the two.
Just never know what you'll find when you step out the door in the morning, into the WILD WILD WEST! Watch out of the indians!
Have a great day and prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

And in the search of the house they found drugs, another real bow and the rest of the broken rifle!
Really glad they got the low life scum.

64 on the way to 69 and thunder storms rolling through here in the northern Ozarks.
Not much going on around here, I spent the last couple of days watching the young men install my solar panels. Didn't take them long, got here about noon Monday and the about 10:00 yesterday and was done and left about two oclock, heading out to another job about 100 miles east. I got a sunburn while watching the work and it totally wore me out.
Hope everyone has a glorious day, prayers for all those in need and for the country. God bless

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
52º @ 6:00 in the hollow, should make the upper 70's this afternoon. Dean, very sorry to hear of the misfortune. Sad part is, they probably won't even do time. I gave up pro football several years ago due to the fools and the kneeling business. Up side is I now have more free time on Sunday afternoons. Now my wife will be pleased that I will no longer be watching every baseball game the Braves play as I am leaving baseball behind as well. I don't drink Coke or fly Delta, but there are plenty of gun hating corps to deprive of my business. No reason to give $$ to people who hate me and what I believe in.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I’m with you, Fox. I haven’t watched football in quite a while and I don’t miss it. Of course, with Detroit Lions as the home team, how could you watch football. In fact, I don’t watch much pro sports at all; they’re all one false step from jail or a good car wreck.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Morning from the sticks of Kentucky where it is 70° heading to 80. T- Shirt weather here for sure.
Dean, it sounds like Charlie Manson is out and starting a new gang in your neighborhood. I bet they didn't hang around long when you drove up with the AR barrel hanging out the winder.
Lot of Squatters out there in those off grid huts on the way to town.

Cows are Fed already, A LongAss male Coyote killed already, couple of "Whumps" also.

I'm off to a good start already.
Kermit, that one is for you.

Skruske say he is not coming to BBB, I hope someone shows up. I would say he may bring Kayaks when he comes to Kentucky and a few rifles.

A friend on another forum has got a whole bunch of his family sick with Chinese Virus and in the hospital. I think 4 or maybe 5 now. Thank you China.
I have been reading the Wall on the Border may be extended. They are Flooding across..
FB, our little Foo Foo dog for the week does not have to go Out until we wake up. Maybe you need one of those.
About the Football, UK sports is barely mentioned on the website I watch....used to be constant talk.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
SIberian Squills and daffodils. Sometimes you just have to wait.

This is just some of the flowers.
If Skruske is listening in; if he would contact me perhaps we could get together before he heads south and he may have room for the stuff I want to send.. He hasn’t answered my PM.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Morning all, late check in, 70 heading to close to 80. Well fellers, I am with you all, I dont watch any NBA, have not for years, NFL, and now Baseball are on my list to never watch again. Also UK sports, I had been a lifelong fan, but after watching them Kneel for the anthem, with their Coach, and support BLM, I am done with UK, as are most of the folks I know. I read in a recent KY paper, that their followers had dropped by 50% in KY in the last year. I long ago, decided my time would be best spent on loading, shooting and tinkering with guns, than spend it in front of a TV screen. Dean hate to hear it about the drug heads killing your cattle, doesnt make sense, but the thinking in folks head when on Meth and the like, never does, crazy. Lightman, I thought I casted a lot, you are running three pots, makes me look like an beginner. You all have a great day, remember those in need of prayers, buff out.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
That is a good story Dean, when I had cows ( Jersey dairy cows ) never had that happen, but I did keep them locked in the barn during Deer season !!!! I agree with Grayfox about trimming as many companies that oppose us. Mike

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Well morning is gone but I made it before noon. Made some pins for the dairy this morning and moved some stuff around. Also took my light brackets of my trailer and moved the camper forward about another foot then lowered it down to just the plank riser I got with it. Lowered the top a d closed it up for now.

Sits a lot lower now and should not be any higher that the Suburban so wind drag shouldn't be as bad.
I need to mount my presses back to my bench tonight and load some 6ppc for the match Saturday morning. My email said it b was going to be a 100&200 yard UBR match. May have to load some ammo for Kruzans 6ppc for factory class as well. I haven't shot it in a while.

Hope everyone has a good day

1 - 20 of 28 Posts