Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures of the kill and the equipment.

Of course the Foxpro was responsible for the calling. I tried lots of food calls with no luck. The two that came in came to Gray Fox Pup Distress. I used a combination of the Foxpro Gray Fox pup Distress sounds. It's my when you need something to happen call.

The gun was my Remington/Spartan combo gun. It's a .223 and 12ga. 3" mag. I loaded the .223 with Sierra 52 match bullets to try and save the pelt. The bullet is moving about 2800fps. It worked pretty good. The shot was about 75 yards and the exit hole was about 5/8". Not bad for hitting the shoulder on the entrance side.

I guess Bobby and I made a dozen sets and had foxes come in on 10 and 12.

At set 10 a fox came in about 100 yards to our left. I was running the caller and light. Bobby was shooting his Winchester .223 with a 12X Leupold scope. We never had any problems before but tonight Bobby couldn't find his reticle. He tried and tried but all he could see was eyes. We tried to do a gun switch but Mr. Fox would have nothing to do with it. He jumped back into the cutover and was gone.

I killed this gal at set 12. It was the last of the night. We were up under a big ceder tree that's about 30 yards out in the cut corn field. She came out of the woods and down a farm lane and stopped broadside at about 75 yards. I pulled the trigger at about 11:45 PM. In Va. you have to stop hunting at midnight Saturday. No hunting on Sunday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice!

Great story and pics. Red Fox sure are pretty. We don't have any here in the desert of SoCal. Also, our light has to be hand held and not plugged into a running vehicle. Riverside and Imperial counties allow night hunting, but Riverside County won't allow discharge of firearms at night. Go figure! BTW, what is all that white stuff covering everything? ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remington web site

http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/SPR94.asp

Mine shoots better then I want to say. The trigger on the shotgun is good and the rifle sucks big time.

Also the shotgun barrel is on top so there is a lot of muzzle jump. I haven't found out who or if someone makes a after market ported choke. If I can't find one I'll have mine ported when the trigger gets done this summer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good job! Mike

I made an early stand yesterday and then called it a night. Dedication always pays off, doesn't it? I got a freind of mine who is really interested in that weapon of yours. I linked this to him. He is gonna buy one sooner or later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.