Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For punching paper and predators. How much prep do you do to the cases, and how many times do you reload them before you toss them? Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine likes 27.5 grains of BLC-2 and 55gr Seirra HPBT's. Shooting great on paper and works great on varmints to.

BTW, forgot to mention this, last time I gt 1,000 rounds new batch of brass, I weighed them and sorted them by weight. I really don't mess with measuring cc's of water, on my AR-15 ammo, like I do on my 22 BR benchrest brass. I just tossed the ones that were .5 grains below & over, and then trimmed the necks square and cehcked to see if the necks needed turning. After every 2nd resizing I check the brass OAL to see if I need to trim them, if they do need trimming I trim them. Some case have been reloaded 10 times at least, still using the same brass for the past 8 years or so. Whne I get down to about 250 peices I'll order another 1,000 and go thru the wholes process again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
50gr TNT over 25.5gr H335

52-53gr SMK over 26.5gr Win748

once-fired processed LC cases, Rem7-1/2 primers.

If one of these doesn't shoot sub moa (often sub HALF moa)... I'd check either the gun or the shooter for problems before I would mess w/ the load.

YMMV,

Monte

·
Registered
458 Posts
My old standby

My AR is a 1-12 twist GI barrel I have always used 27.5gr 748 and a 7.5 Rem primer with a 50gr Nosler Balistic tip and any case. When I get loose primer pockets they go in the hunting mag and are gone forever.
It shoots better at 200yds than 100yds.
EricT

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
All three of my ARs shoot the 55 gr Sierra HPBTs with 25.0 grs 2230 and the primer doesn't seem to matter but most of the time they get Winchester. All shoot this load well under an inch. Two of the ARs are 1:8 twist. I know, that quick twist isn't suppose to stabilize a 55gr bullet but it works.

·
Registered
928 Posts
60 V-Max

My favorite is a 60gr V-Max with 23gr AA2200 or 25gr H335 in my Armalite 24inch flat top AR in 223.
Ken

·
Registered
79 Posts
My primary load at this time is 24.5 gr of AA2230C with a Hornady 55 gr spire point bullet and Win primer, but that is a surplus powder and isn't available any more, so I will have to come up with a different load before too long. I have used 25.0 gr of H335 with the same bullet and primer with good success.

I also load 26.5 gr of Varget with the same primer and bullet with good velocities, 3223 fps out of my 24" 1-8 twist barrel, I'm not real hot on using extruded powders since I load 223 in bulk and Varget doesn't meter that well.

For prep I resize and trim, deburr the flash holes, that's about it, as for how many times you can reload a case, I've got some at 5 times right now and they are holding up well, but the loads I shoot aren't loaded particularly hot, more on the medium side, the 24.5 gr of AA2230C chronos at an average of around 3100 fps.

Some people have told me you can't shoot good groups using a surplus powder, I disagree!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
OT...kinda: cc of water

I really don't mess with measuring cc's of water, on my AR-15 ammo, like I do on my 22 BR benchrest brass.
After some frustration with measuring cc of water/weight of the water, etc, it occured to me that in the final analysis, the rifle's chamber determines the actual case volume, not the cases themselves - especially for cases that have not yet been fired in the rifle's chamber!

Going back to (Ureka!) Archimedes, volume of a material is directly related to it's (specific) weight. So, if the weight of the cases are the same**, the remaining volume in the chamber, minus the volume of the brass will also be the same. When the round is fired, the case walls are forced to expand to the limits of the rifle's chamber. The chamber becomes "lined" with a brass venier (under 50,000 psi, more or less). At that moment, cases weighing the same will have identical internal volume, whether they had identical volume before the round was fired or not.

**A technical exception: There is a bullet that initially fills some of the case volume. So, in order to maintain the case weight/volume relationship where a bullet is seated, the length of the neck must be uniform; the cases should be trimmed to length, and perhaps primer pockets and flash holes deburred before weighing/sorting them.

Just a thought.

P.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts