Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to concentrate on the 'controlled expansion' bullets for the .257, or will the plain jane variety hold together? I'm primarily concerned about deer varmints - too noisy for groundhogs where I shoot.

What's your favorite bullet and powder in this cartridge?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I reload for a friends 25-300Win mag and he used the 115gr Ballistic tips on deer and hgs out to 500yds with great results , the deer very rarely go more than 20-30yds. The closer shots , inside 150yds the deer have a pretty good bit of meat damage if the bullte hits close to the shoulder , generaly if the deer are inside 200yds and moving slow he shoots for the mid neck area.
The 115 Ballistic tips shoot great in his gun as do the 110 Accubond which he plans to use this year for Elk , for deer I personaly don't see alot of need for a controled expansion bullet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
257 Weatherby

My experience last fall with the 257 Weatherby and 100gr. Sierra flatbase spitzers, was a dead deer , but the shot was about 100 yards and it hit him in the rib cage, he only went about 50 yards, but the bullet didn't go through. It made an awful mess inside. I think from that experience, I will shoot a stouter bullet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Terry, the 115g Nos/Win Combined Tec bullet.....

is really a great bullet, plenty tough enough for deer with 69.0g of R#22. In my pac Nor 3 groove, the 100g Partitions really shot great well with 71.5g of R#22. You should of course back off a little from my loads and work up to them.

I know two guys in N. Carolina that are killing a lot of deer with the 85g Nos/Win combined tec bullet shot at 4100 fps, they say the bullet goes through the deer each and every shot leaving a massive hole and the deer do not run.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
4100 fps

i would love to know what the recipe for that load is, that is extremely fast for an 85 gr. bullet, please get back with me

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have 2 257W. I shoot 115Nosler BalTip in one cuz it is the most accurate. I haVE KILLED 3PIGS WITH IT AND NONE HAVE GONE MORE THAN 50YDS. (caps off now),none have gone thru. On my new one Im using the 100 Hornady exposed lead tip with the cannelure. It really holds together and goes thru the pigs 50-50. No deer for a few years tho, sorry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try the Sierra 120 HPBT..............

The last few deer I have killed went right down using the Sierra 120 HPBT. Very little meat damage as well. I shoot a 25-06AI which gets Weatherby velocity. The 100 Partition from Nosler is dang hard to beat too.
Kirk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Little meat damage?

I really thought with a 25 caliber and at these speeds, the meat would have a good bit of damage. Did you get the blood/jelly mess?

It also depends on where it was hit and the distance.

Where I hunt, most of the shots are not all that far. A lot of speed means damage.

Keep up the good exchange of information.

·
Registered
826 Posts
IN my rifle, 72.0g of IMR 4831.....

with the 85g Nosler=bug hole accuracy at 4137 fps.

My rifle does not have any freebore.

72.5g of R#22 with an 87g speer is smok'en with speed and accuracy also.

When ever a specific load is mentioned with anyone's rifle, Your load will have to be adjusted for your rifle and the lot# of powder that you have for both accuracy and safety.

Good luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use 100grn Nosler BT's. Fast and accurate. I've never shot anything but paper and few plastic bottles. How a 257Wby with all that lead can be so accurate is beyond me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts