Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build/buy a dedicated coyote calling rig. I may already have one in a custom .243 built by Darrell Holland although I have yet to fall in love with it. It is a Rem.700, 23" Schnieder 1-10" twist #2 contour, McMillan Mtn rifle stock (Grey/White swirl), fluted bolt and Shilen trigger. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36mm matte scope with elevation turret. At eight power it'll shoot 1" groups at a hundred yards. If I kept it, I think I would go with a different scope-possibly a 6x42mm or 3.5-10x40mm.

My other thought is either rebarrel the .243 to a .220 Swift or have a New Ultra Light Arms model 20 built (5lbs including scope) built in a Swift. I would have to sell the .243 to get the NULA.

Let's hear some thoughts/opinions on what avenue to take. Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'd like to build/buy a dedicated coyote calling rig. I may already have one in a custom .243 built by Darrell Holland although I have yet to fall in love with it. It is a Rem.700, 23" Schnieder 1-10" twist #2 contour, McMillan Mtn rifle stock (Grey/White swirl), fluted bolt and Shilen trigger. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36mm matte scope with elevation turret. At eight power it'll shoot 1" groups at a hundred yards. If I kept it, I think I would go with a different scope-possibly a 6x42mm or 3.5-10x40mm.

My other thought is either rebarrel the .243 to a .220 Swift or have a New Ultra Light Arms model 20 built (5lbs including scope) built in a Swift. I would have to sell the .243 to get the NULA.

Let's hear some thoughts/opinions on what avenue to take. Thanks
I would stick with the .243 It is such a more modern and versatile round compared to the archaic 220 Swift. How many different loads have you tried in your .243??

Sounds to me that you may just need to consider a different scope. Why not a 4.5-14x? That would still be pretty open for close shooting, and give you up to 14x for those longer shots when yotes just refuse to fully commit.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Dedicated Coyote rig

Lance I found for my needs one gun just didn't cut it.

At times I don't care about saving fur. Other times I hunting areas that have cougars. So depending on the area and time of year I'll likely use different guns. They range from 17 Remington, TAC 20, .204 Ruger, 222, 223, 22-250 and .243 all are calling/carry rifles.

Yep I'm spoiled you get that way after being single for nearly 20 years. :D

But I've settled down again in my old age with a very supportive female. Life is good.

By the way I like your choice for a calling scope. Several of mine are in the 2 X 7 to 4.5 X 14 range. I like the lower powers better for calling.

This is my .243 a Remington Mohawk one of my favorites.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Coyote rifle?

I am new to coyote hunting here in WV. I have shot a few, but this year I am going to get serious. I felt the need for fast follow ups. I just ordered a new RR arms, heavy barrel AR-15 in 223 cartridge. I do not mind the extra weight of the rifle. I am a handicapped hunter, so all my shooting will be from a fixed position. I have a modified Kawasaki Mule that I hunt with. I have been wondering what bullet to use for less pelt damage? Tom.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a 243

And a swift. The 243 to me is the better of the two.You can shoot 55 gr bullets as fast or faster than the swift if you want to,or shoot heaver bullets for bigger game you can.
You said a calling rifle shots should be close the 6x should be fine but I like the 4x14.Also the 223 is really hard to beat for this.
Or make you 243 a switch barrel rifle.
EricT

·
Registered
92 Posts
.243 is good

Nothing wrong w/ .243 for calling. Nothing wrong with the 2.5-8 scope either. I have one on my calling rifle, my '06 AI deer rifle, my .35 Whelen AI elk rifle, and put one on my son's '06 FN Mauser. They are good scopes, gather light very well and are light and compact. Schnieder barrel is a good one, albeit a little short and skinny for my choice. If it shoots well keep it and get out there and shoot some coyotes.

My calling rifle is a Rem 700 LA LH that I trued up and sleeved the bolt, Krieger 26" #7 contour barrel chambered in .243AI, McMillan stock, 2.5-8 Leupold, & Harris bipod. Works well for me.

If image doesn't show click on link.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My first attempt at coyote calling (many years ago) was with my .243 Sako, topped with a B&L 2.5-8 scope. Got a double on that first trip, and haven't done it again since. In those days, the .243 was my all around rifle, and I still carry it a lot now. Nothing wrong with your .243 or scope. I have several other pd rifles now, with heavy bbls, but they get heavy carrying them any distance.
If you need an excuse to buy another rifle (I've used this one too) go for it, but what you have will get the job done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the 243 is a good gun, Just depends on if you are taking care of the furs?? or just shootin them. I have done ok With the 243 and Sierra 60 gr hollow points for yotes, about the same as a 22-250 as far as pelt damage. If you are going for pelts, look at the 17 centerfire guns or 20 cal for a good call gun, and the least amount of fur damage. Just My 2 cents worth. By the way I like the 4.5X14 or 4-16 power range, can be turned down to 4 for calling and up for those longer shots!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was a 223 fan for varmint hunting (coyote) for a longgggg time.. I still really like the 223. I was doing some testing one day, and seen for a dead on hold the 243 really gives you a bit more than the 223 in my opinion. I ended up with a 243 wssm, have read where a lot of people had problems with them, however I really like mine. It's also my first 6mm cartridge... Winchester ( I'm a rem nut as well) model 70 stainless with camo stock. It's very accurate, light weight, and just handles good...

Clint

·
Registered
485 Posts
Calling gun

I am currently working with a 6mm Remington, for my calling gun. I started
with a Savage Model 16, in .22-250 Rem. and rebarreled with a magnum
contour 6mm Rem. chambered stainless barrel, and put the action in a
B&C Duramax stock. I am currently working up 65 gr. loads for it, and
will shortly replace the 6-24x Bushnell 4200 with something in the
2.5-10x range, for the hunting scope. I have the 6-24x on there for
load development, to get itty bitty groups. I am truely looking forward
to the "more punch" of this rifle for coyote hunting. If I want a pelt,
I have another Model 16, in .204 Ruger, launching 35 gr. Bergers. But
most often, I just want DRT, and this 6mm will do that.

Squeeze

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
To start off with, I don't like using more gun than required for what I'm hunting. A second note is that in 99%, or more of calling situations, you won't be shooting beyond 200 yards, assuming you are setting up correctly. A .243 is fine, buy way more energy than needed to kill coyotes. My personal criteria is a caliber that will shoot to 300 yards with no more than 4" of drop. It must also have enough energy at that range to solidly kill coyotes, without blowing the pelt to pieces. That is in the neighborhood of 400ft/lbs. That narrows the choices to the .17 Remington at the low end and up to the 22-250/Swift at the top end. In the .22's it would exclude the .222 as being too slow, with too much drop, though I've killed many coyotes with one (see note 2 about 99% of calling situations). So, for me, I'm looking at .17 Rem., .223, .222mag, 22-250, .220 Swift. Most of my calling is done with the .17 Rem., though I currently own a .222mag, .223AI, and a 22-250 as well. All are sporter-weight. You don't shoot more than 2 or 3 shots, at most, on any one stand....don't need a big, heavy-barreled monster to lug around BTDT. Another advantage of the smallest adequate round is the lesser noise signature.....I don't like making any more noise, in the area I'm hunting, than I have to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a lot of trouble separating what we need from what we want. So, based on need, you have a great 'yote gun now. A .243 will do everything you want to do depending on how you load it.

On the other hand, if you are wanting something else that is a different story.

I have a .222, .204 and .243 with another .204 in an AR 15 on order. I also have a Mini 14 .223 but I usually don't count it. If you talk to enough varmint callers, you will find more of them use (and swear by) an AR 15 in 223. There are a lot of choices based on length of shot, saving fur, etc, but the rifle combo most selected is the .223 AR. Byron South says it is the ideal varmint calling rifle.

Having said that, you pay your money and make your choice. In my case, I chose the .204 because I love it. With mv of near 4000 fps and a trajectory nearly flat to 300 yd, its deadly. But the .223 does nearly the same and ammo is readily available and moderately cheap.

Also, you have enough scope. Same rules as the rifle, divide need and want and then get what you want.

Go for it.

Pat

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have one rifle set up just for coyotes

I bought a Rem 788 several years ago, chambered in .22-250. My load is a "to the nuts" dose of VarGet under a 50 gr Starke RPVB. I like the detachable magazine of the 788 and the rifle isn't so expensive that I felt guilty sanding the stock and spraying it white. I like to hunt coyotes in the winter in the snow... Scope is a Leupold Vari X III non AO 3.5-10 x 50 with see thru caps... tall bipod and carry strap are standard when I'm hunting coyotes - I prefer a bipod over shooting sticks...

if I were to do it again - I would probably opt for the .243 Win in a 788. Shoot light bullets really fast and gain a bit of point blank range over the .22-250.. I don't care about saving fur nor seeing bullet impact in my scope.

if there is no snow on the ground, I've been known to take out my Rem 700 PSS LTR in .223 Rem... Too much scope on it to be 'perfect' for coyotes - 6-18 VariX II.... but it works in a pinch.

-niv

·
Registered
826 Posts
Huntenfool, you have the rifle, the scope.....

is what is dragg'en you down. Scope preferences is as different as preferences in Women. Some people like the low 2-7's & 2-8's and some prefere the 3-12 & 4-16. I prefer the higher powered scopes because I am able to acquire the target at 3x and 4x at 25 yards easily and it is rare that you get a shot less than 25 yards but it does happen. I would not buy a scope that gives you an advantage in less than 1% of your shots when you will be getting shots at 200+ Ten times as often than shots at 15 feet.

Also, it will depend on your hand and eye coordination in able to comfortably point your rifle and find a target vs hunting it in the scope, and people sure vary in their ability to find moving targets in a scope.

It is going to be hard for you to improve on the rig that you have now, assuminig that the guy did not put a HUGE chamber in your barrel with a long leade.

I think that the scope is more to your disliking vs the rifle. Also, the recoil of the light weight 243 may be throwing you for a loop. You did not specify what exactly you were not satisfied with. The 1" group could be greatly improved upon with a higher powered variable scope that you could crank up the power to shoot and develop groups with. It is hard to shoot tiny groups with 8x, it does happen, but consistancy is the key to confidence.

You should be able to have complete confidence in shooting yotes out to
250-300 yards with a rifle that shoots 1" groups.

One of the grand masters in the Ca Varmint Hunting Ass'n that I hunted with shot a 700 in 22/250 Varmint that shot 1 1/2", we slaughtered the yotes in Mexico with this rifle which had about .750 of freebore from all the rounds that had been down the tube. The tube also got cleaned every 3-5 years if it needed it or not! Ha!

Sounds like to me that you just like buying and building rifles....join the crowd! You really don't need much of an excuse...go for it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.