Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build (or buy) a 1000 yard PD gun. Not a paper shooter but varmint killer. Is the 6x284 good enough? Is there a better way to go that would shoot out to maybe 1500? Thanks, tim

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I'd like to build (or buy) a 1000 yard PD gun. Not a paper shooter but varmint killer. Is the 6x284 good enough? Is there a better way to go that would shoot out to maybe 1500? Thanks, tim
Yeah, Tim, call in an airstrike!!:D I have shot a ton of PD's and quite a bit of 1000 yard competition. I want to see the guy that can hit a PD at 1000 yards consistantly, let alone 1500. Given the effects of wind, mirage, etc, hitting the MOUND might be tricky. Contrary to the wild BS hunting stories in magazines such as Precision Shooting, among other notorious rags, a hit on a PD at those ranges is more luck than skill.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
humm

if it was me a 6.5 to a big 30 cal for wind bucking maybe a WSM 7MM or 300.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out what is going on in the 1000 yard benchrest game as far as caliber. You must take into consideration how many shots you will get out of some of them before they will need to be setback or a new tube put on. Just out to a 1000 I would use a 6br and reloader 15 to 1500 a 6.5x284 would be my least. Good luck

·
Registered
446 Posts
My thoughts..

There's so many to choose from.. just ran those velocities and BC's against several other popular cartridges and the old 6-284 still sets on the top of the heap as far as a looong range varmint cartridges. Now, in completition or punching paper may be another matter altogether. I've consistently killed dogs out to ranges past 1K using the 6-284 and a fast twist full 30" barrel and slow burn powder with 105grn A-max's. But those Berger 95's (if they will hold together) I think would be an improvement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1000 yard PD guns

I have used a 6mm-06 (very much like the 6-284) and a 260 Rem to make shots on PD to over 1000 yards. To get to 1500 I think you will need at least a 6.5-284. I have witnessed shots made on PDs at over 1500 yards using a 7 STW and a 30-8mm Rem Mag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Most shooters couldn't hit a 55 gal drum @ 1000!

I agree with the fellow above. 1000 yards is so rare. Those ranges are thrown out very loosley. I guess you could buy a .204 they are shooting dogs at 1 mile with 32 grain bullets. Get a rifle that you can consistently hit targets or dogs at 300-400 yards and enjoy hitting something. I would bet that most shooters could not hit a 55 gallon drum at 1000 yards yet alone a prairie dog. I seen a guy holding a p.dog in the varmint hunter magizine with a sign that said "2050". The hold over would be like 40-50 feet. Throwin' in the B.S flag on that! By the way what kind of optics do you use to just see p.dogs at 1000 yards? Keep it real.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A mere 1500 yds - LOL - Check this one out at Small Caliber News

I agree with the fellow above. 1000 yards is so rare. Those ranges are thrown out very loosley. I guess you could buy a .204 they are shooting dogs at 1 mile with 32 grain bullets. Get a rifle that you can consistently hit targets or dogs at 300-400 yards and enjoy hitting something. I would bet that most shooters could not hit a 55 gallon drum at 1000 yards yet alone a prairie dog. I seen a guy holding a p.dog in the varmint hunter magizine with a sign that said "2050". The hold over would be like 40-50 feet. Throwin' in the B.S flag on that! By the way what kind of optics do you use to just see p.dogs at 1000 yards? Keep it real.
Prairie dogs at over 2000 yds.

Check it out.
http://smallcalibernews.com/

'course I only see one in the photo.

It pays to be good, but often, pays more to be lucky.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I . I would bet that most shooters could not hit a 55 gallon drum at 1000 yards yet alone a prairie dog. Keep it real.
Amen, brother!!! In High Power competition, the 1000 yard target has a X ring of 10 inch diameter and the 10 ring is 20 inches in diameter. Since a PD is considerably smaller than 10 inches in diameter, it stands to reason that these fellows who can consitantly hit a PD at 1000 should be able to come out to Camp Perry and clean the course, becoming the National Champion!! Our club puts on a 600 yard bench rest shoot. The target is 30" in diameter and some shooters come out not being able to hit the paper!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I Don't...........

What a waste of time and equipment. The sole of a size 10 shoe is about the same size as a prairie dog. Stand one up, then back off 1000yds (nevermind 1500) and try to even see it through binoculars. Why in the heck waste time and components and barrel life lobbing bullets at something that size? There's an awful lot of BS out there and some people love to throw that 1,000yd number around in posts. Lob enough bullets at something and eventually it'll be that creature's time to die. It could happen right away, or it may take 50 or even 72 rounds to connect. Then what? Pat yourself on the back for being lucky? Get your name on some dumb list in a magazine? Write an article? Brag about it on forums? The whole thing is pretty silly and really doesn't prove anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I have to throw in with the fellows above in that hitting a Prairie Dog at 1,000 yards is going to be more accident than anything else. I hunt in Montana a lot and with the wind coming from seven different directions over the course of a 500 yard shot........ I just gotta be standing next to the guy that can make a "Called Shot" at a thousand yards before I'd believe it. Like my dad used to say "That bullet has to come down somewhere".
Besides,I have a heck of a lot more fun being able to see what, when and where I hit being 200 or 500 yards.

W. Bill
Kirkland, WA

·
Registered
840 Posts
What a waste of time and equipment. The sole of a size 10 shoe is about the same size as a prairie dog. Stand one up, then back off 1000yds (nevermind 1500) and try to even see it through binoculars. Why in the heck waste time and components and barrel life lobbing bullets at something that size? There's an awful lot of BS out there and some people love to throw that 1,000yd number around in posts. Lob enough bullets at something and eventually it'll be that creature's time to die. It could happen right away, or it may take 50 or even 72 rounds to connect. Then what? Pat yourself on the back for being lucky? Get your name on some dumb list in a magazine? Write an article? Brag about it on forums? The whole thing is pretty silly and really doesn't prove anything.
Ackman still see that your same ole negative self. maybe one day ya can be just a tad supportive and positive but until then that 1000 yd kill may be someones dream or there self set goal. Maybe you have none but some out there actually have a set goal in mind. It may not mean squat to you over someone hitting an animal at 1000+ yds or shooting sub min groups at those distances. Good start for 07 as always just as yourself.

Now to answer the guys question.

I have owned several calibers and I have to say the most impressive i had for those typical shots has been my 6-284 with a 30" barrel and a 8 Twist using 107 grn bullets. a 30 cal will just punch a hole and so will the 6.5 140 grn bullets but this 6 using the 107's blew them to pieces.
If your goal is to make kills at these distances go for it and don't worry what the negative folks says. It's a challenge and fun. it took me 3 shots to get my first at 1115 yds and backed it up with a second kill on the first shot at 1112 yds. Some just don't either have the ability or equipment to make such hits or they lack the confidence either way if it's your goal achieve it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, I'm kinda new here, so just where do you guys keep thoes B.S. Flags?

W. Bill
Kirkland, WA

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ackman still see that your same ole negative self. maybe one day ya can be just a tad supportive and positive but until then that 1000 yd kill may be someones dream or there self set goal. Maybe you have none but some out there actually have a set goal in mind. It may not mean squat to you over someone hitting an animal at 1000+ yds or shooting sub min groups at those distances. Good start for 07 as always just as yourself.

Now to answer the guys question.

I have owned several calibers and I have to say the most impressive i had for those typical shots has been my 6-284 with a 30" barrel and a 8 Twist using 107 grn bullets. a 30 cal will just punch a hole and so will the 6.5 140 grn bullets but this 6 using the 107's blew them to pieces.
If your goal is to make kills at these distances go for it and don't worry what the negative folks says. It's a challenge and fun. it took me 3 shots to get my first at 1115 yds and backed it up with a second kill on the first shot at 1112 yds. Some just don't either have the ability or equipment to make such hits or they lack the confidence either way if it's your goal achieve it.

Well, there you have it from Mr.Targetshooter hisself. Starting '07 and still bragging at any opportunity. You're right, hitting a PD at 1000+ doesn't mean squat to me. And I'll stand behind anything I say, that it's about the animal's "time to die" more than anything else. People who've spent much time in PD country shooting those things know this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How many here..

have actually setup and tried 1000yrd critters? I have, and made some hits. Bare in mind, consistent hits of one out of ten is VERY GOOD, and connecting one out of 20-25 is more the norm. You've simply got to pick the right wind conditions and terrain and morning light which make hits much easlier, or less difficult would be a better term. You're shooting at a 20oz. drink bottle, so you must have the right equipment, and there's a LOT of that around these days. In fact, there are factory heavy varmint style rifles in 7mm and 308 bores, when scope with a 12x42 NF, and decent load work up, that can get this job done at 1K. Maybe some 6mm's as well.

I've attached here a few pics of the equipment I expect to use for my 1,500yrd and 2,000yrd critters!
P1) This coincidence type range finder was a VERY difficult to find. It's a Carl Zeiss 8X WWII Panzar Tank Battalion issued unit, which doubtfully saw combat. These are THE king of all for mechanical style RF's.
P2) The rifle with the walnut/birch laminated stock is chambered in 7mm Dummond (7Wby blown out with extremely sharp shoulder necked down). This rifle was witnessed and duly documented for rolling three eastern chucks in a round at just over 1200yrds. Unfortunately not by me.
P3) The big Rampro rifle with the colorful stock and hugh barrel block IS one of the two rifles featured in the Precision Shooting magazine article several years back, "Two Mile Praire Dog." The fellows finally did connect at those distances. Included is a relavent link, but not the particular PS story, sorry.

http://www.northfloridashooting.com/Misc/2MilePrarieDogs/2MilePrarieDogShooters.htm

IF I can connect on just one more PD at 2,000 yards, I'm DONE!!!

Now, do I have an takers to make a trip out west???

Wish me luck fellows, thanks a bunch!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Still a great Goal!!

George Baker and I have had 6mm Rem rifles built to "try and kill" a prairie dog at 1000yards in June. Both are on 700Rem actions, HS Precision Varmint stocks and use 8.5x25 Leupolds. My barrel is a 1/10 twist PacNor 3 grove stainless and his is a 1/9 Kreiger.

We both hit dogs in the 600-700 yard range last season. Drawbacks, Wind, wind, heat mirage, wind and available dogs at that range. We have this as a "goal" and do not intend to ruin our trim by waiting for impossible shots. Last year it was 95 plus and wind, wind wind.

Old Doug

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Go For it !

Timinator : If you want to save yourself a lot of grief , time , and money , buy a copy of Steve Hansons Book " the Varmint Hunter's Odyssey " for about $38 . I have talked to a lot of Varmint Hunters and many have gone through the same steps as described in the book as far as seeking longer , and longer range equipment . BTW , your long range Varmint killer will most likely look a lot like a long range Paper Puncher . For shooting beyond 1000 Yards with any consistency , you will probably need roughly $5000 for the equipment : Custom rifle , scope , rangefinder ( which can cost $1000-$5000 by itself) , bench , etc. Yes , I know it can be done cheaper if you really scrounge. Still want to do it ??? Another factor to consider is that many shooters report that you need at least 30 Cal . to see where your shots are hitting beyond 1000 Yards . Heat waves are another BIG problem and the Long Rangers often only shoot for a few hours very early in the morning and towards dark . Therefore you have to find really big fields .... far from the Ranchers house . I have only found one such place in many years of looking . If you still want to do it : Go for it !

·
Registered
270 Posts
A 1000 yds is a long cast in most peoples book and out of most shooters realm of comprehension as to what it takes to consistently hit anything at that range. With that being said, if someone wants to do that, great for them.

I know I was pretty happy with a "500" yd shot on a PD. I would probably pee myself if I made a 1000 yd shot on purpose. Like another poster said "I like to see my hits"

Good luck "Timinator"

·
Registered
329 Posts
How many here have actually setup and tried 1000yrd critters? I have, and made some hits.
I have, with two other shooters... and my best PD was measured at 853, and most of mine were 700+ yds... using a 15 pound .222 Mag bench rest gun with a 2" Unertl scope.

We ranged with an 11x Wild optical range finder. We set up by driving around the town in a 4wd until the wind was at our back. It was 7AM and the wind was light and constant, and there was NO mirage.

We had a spotter using a pair of tripod mounted Steiner 20x80 bins. None of us did well at first until we got the ranges and hang of it... you just have to pick the conditions to work in your favor.

You DON'T just jump out of the car and start blasting away with under an afternoon sun's mirage, and an afternoon wind coming from 3 o'clock.

We dialed elevations, and did not "hold over". The Unertl has 250 moa of elevation available.

Since the wind was at our backs at 6:00, we were not troubled with windage. When the wind made minor shifts, we chose our targets so the wind was always at 6:00 to the shooter. When it made major shifts, we moved to another location.

As we worked the town, we kept notes on the elevation clicks/ranges to make later shots easier.

The guys with me made hits out to 1000+, because they are better shooters than I am. No one made "first shot hits" in any number worth mentioning.

-----

Of course, Ackamn says it's impossible, but he DID mention something about hiring an "expurt" to teach him next year ;) ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would like to add something here..

I live between Kentucky and now Georgia and have spent a fair amount of time out west; KS, NE, CO, WY, SD, ND, MT, ID. Folks a 1000yrds out there just does not appear the same it does in the heartland or back east. Humidity along with topography make all the difference. The major factor in long range varminting is to find a place where your out of the wind (ha ha) and can see your hits. I have found there is no better place than to shoot down on the leeward side of a tall long ridge with plenty of loose dusty dirt around the PD. If you can find a ridge that curves in such a way that the distance PD's are lited by the morning sun while you and most of the range remain shaded, that's the place to be setup. Shooting from a rock solid bench while most of the range is still shaded dramatically reduces, and sometime totally eliminates, mirage.

It IS just as important to find the right place as it is to have the right equipment. Spending the time locate that perfect spot WILL positively contribute to your success.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts