Varmint Hunters Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wind is the thing

Without calculation,I would suspect a 1mile per hour change in crosswind vs what was "held for" would be enough to miss. If "walking one in " is the deal then that's a different ballgame. Groups are one thing, first shot on the mark is another.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
How About This Scenario

WE each have different ideas about what we prefer in shooting, but,
how about this scenario. I prefer to shoot out to 400 or 500 yards,
then if the shots are available at 1,000 yards, drive up the other
500 yards and take some more 400 or 500 yard shots. The normal
warm friendly winds of South Dakota last year of from 7 to 30 mph
did provide enough challenge for me at 400 & 500 yards and still make
a clean hit dispensing the targets. 300 yards in many cases was much
more fun for me. I enjoy the "splat factor". :D To answer your question
in reference to calibers, I have added two .220 Swifts since last years
PD Safari. I also shoot two .222 Mag Improveds, and a .204. Hot and
flat is my personal desire for PD Hunting.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The 6X284 is a GOOD CHOICE But you may like the 6.5X284 a tad better. In our group, we don't take a hit if it takes more than 3 rounds to walk one in. Kind of keeps us on the up and up. I guess you could take a box of shells and get one at a 100 or over but that is bumping the laws of avrage to the top of the scales. Have fun is the top of the list and after you get tired of the 100 to 300 yard shots than go for the long stuff after you get the hang of the wind and tons of other things you have to take into consideration. Just my ideas from years of plugging away at those ground rats. But the big thing is to have fun. the trick stuff comes into play about the 4th or 5th day. Take care and enjoy.
Mike Murphy

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
You have received some negative feedback on building a 1000 yd. gun, but i say go ahead and build it. It will be a great gun for the 300 to 600 yd. shots also. I was able to make a 812 yd shot with a 40-x 6mm rem with 105A-max's last summer. it was late in the afternoon after the wind died down. Only took about 10 shots.
I can tell you that i would not put my $100 dollar bill at the 1000 yd. mark and let James Phillips, aka 22 dasher, aka James of Tn. have ten shots at it. It probably would be less than 10 shots with either A 6-284 or a 6.5-284 40-x before the bill would be his. Belive me, i have witnessed his long range ability and 1000 is reality. with the right equipment, and waiting for the right wind and light conditions and with the right mental attitude 1000 is within reach.
So go ahead and build her, and maybe we can get together next summer in a prarie dog field and try to fulfill both of our dreams. and if we don't connect we can always go to the fun 400 to 600 yd. fun shots. But the dream must remain alive. we don't move ahead without dreams.
I am having a 6-284 and 6.5-284 built with a 40-x single shot action built by mike bryant now. Maybe next spring i will sling a few 107's or 115's "DOWNTOWN" in the Nebraska prarie.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dont want to ruffel any feathers but i got a ground hog at 928 yds. Took me 4 shots and 2.5hrs. He kept going into his hole. I use a 6.5x284 with 142mk. In PA any shot over 500 is rare ,there are not many places to shoot that far in my neck of the woods. To shoot long it takes a comimitment most wont do. You need to understand that its not quantity as much as it is quality. Shooting 15 hogs at 300 and closer is good, but shooting 1 at 500 or more you will remember. This is my 2cents. Ollie

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
solution

I in my old age have discovered the ultimate solution for 1000 yd varmits. Walk 900 yards then shoot.
hotcap

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I in my old age have discovered the ultimate solution for 1000 yd varmits. Walk 900 yards then shoot.
hotcap
Har, har!!! Great post, hotcap, my sentiments exactly!!!:D :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I had the money to burn I'd build one. It's great fun shooting long range, not necessarily at live targets. (Not much to shoot at here in ILL.)My pre-64 M70 30/06 target rifle with a Unertl 15X scope shot this group: 4 shots in 11", 5 shots opened to 11", and a total of 7 went into 23.5", at 1000 yards (not lasered) at best. It has been shot a lot. One day the wind was howling from a 90 degee angle so I set in enough windage correction for 30 feet and hit the 3 foot metal gong on the first shot. Lucky? Yeh. Just wanted to mention what the wind can do. It still felt good though.

I'm getting off track here but shooting a 1 MOA or better .22 LR outfit at 200 yards is about the same thing. Cheaper and no recoil.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I agree with the more recent comments, just build the rifle you want to shoot. Besides with the big 6mm's the barrel won't last too long in the prairie dog fields. Just keep in mind that the whole reason for going west to shoot prairie dogs is for the enjoyment of it. If you decide afterwards to rechamber it to something else, then do so. This sport is about experimenting..enjoy that part.
I have a Rem700 SA with a 26" Douglas heavy varmint barrel on it chambered for 6-284Win and I have been shooting 87gr V-max's from it. Initially I built the rifle (rechambered from 6BR) as a potential 1000yard rifle in the event the opportunity presented itself. Where I shoot, the oportunity doesn't always exist. I have made a 700 yard shot (taken a few shots to dial it in) and I decided that it was fun, but also a waste of ammunition. I like to keep the rifle in the 500-600 yard range and for very windy conditions. I am much more effective this distance range and I have more fun...isn't that what we're out there for anyway??
I still shoot the rifle, the barrel is just about toast and when I rebarrel it, I will keep it as a 6-284 because of the expense of the brass and dies. The chambering is a bit overbore, very hard on barrels, but fun to shoot. The next one will get a muzzle brake for sure. I will experiment with other bullet weights, but I may come down to an 80gr pill for some added velocity and airtime on hits from now on. I have loaded some 80gr Fowler BR bullets for this summer and I am anxious to give them a try.
My first trip to WY with the rifle, we had lots of rain and muddy roads, barely for 200 rounds fired, but upon my return home, the barrel interior was completely fire cracked. I was amazed. I have never seen this kind of internal barrel wear in so few rounds. I am still shooting the same barrel, but knowing that the thing is now a copper mine. Somehow it still groups well after about 1200+ rounds through it.
I was told that this would be a 1500 round barrel when I built it, so its right on target.
Ken

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You guys are forgeting the one thing for 1000 yard shooting

Just go get your self a custom built bolt action 50BMG top it with a 12-42x56mm NF scope than bang away. If you do not hit him the shrapnel will get him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Guess the one I got was unlucky

My partner and I both got into the 1000 yd club. It wasn't an accident. We rigged up for it and practiced. I got mine with a 9 twist 22-250 shooting 75 Amaxs. It is a challenge. A goal to work toward. I don't shoot at 1000 yd prairie dogs every time I go out. In fact since the dedicated 1000 yd pd trips we never shoot at anything over about 700 and few of those. Over 500 is pretty easy if the wind isn't to bad. Go for the 1000 yd kill. Make it a quest and get the satisfaction of doing it. Disregard the nay sayers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
2000 yards???

I went to the link but did not see anything listed. I dont think small cals will be at all accurate at 2k. As I recall a gunsmith shooting a groundhog or squirrel at about 2500(5 shots or so) yards with a 338 improved rum it was noted that I believe with another less powerful gun that as the bullets broke to less than the speed of sound that they destabilized and accuracy went from good to lottery. Id guess that almost all small cal cartridges will be less than sound at 1500. I agree with the others 6.5 cal would be a bare min. and 7mm wsm has been showing promise at 1k with talk about displacing 6.5x284 a little. 1k is a long way.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts