Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Texas, our yotes tend to be pretty small. Downright scrawny compared to some of the pics I see from you guys further north and back East. What do you guys do with the hides?

Do you sell them or just destroy them or what? Reason I ask is, I always wanted a Coyote hide, but have never shot one that looked worth a darn. How would I go about getting one?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Out here in the desert their coats are pretty poor, too. We leave them for the turkey vultures and such. Several times we have gone by where we left one only a week earlier and there is no sign of them. Kind of like prairie dogs, something eats 'em up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If the furs are prime and not shot up too bad, I like to try to save them.
It takes some cold weather to get them to that point though... then alot of work.

A friend of mine that takes off all winter to chase coyotes does these. I let him do mine and he sells them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steven, any idea what they sell for?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I only hunt coyotes Nov - Jan because this is the only timeframe the pelts will be worth anything. Yes, its legal here to hunt them all year, but I believe they should be used.

Haven't heard what the fur market is like here this season. But last year, put up pelts sold for nearly $30 here.

·
Registered
365 Posts
One of my personal friends is a taxidermist and wholesaler. He has the best prices on anything from furs and mounts to buffalo skulls that I've seen anywhere. He has no website, but you may call him here in Utah at 435-563-3072. Chase Dunn Wildlife.

Oh, he tells me that fur is WAY up this year due to intense interest from Japan.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hide prices

Last year a prime pelt (green, i.e. not yet tanned) got somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 to $50 depending on quality from a fur buyer in Grand Junction. As Rocky said, though... fur prices are supposed to be up right now, so I don't know what these will fetch this year.

It can take nearly a year to get pelts back from the tanneries right now though. I don't know why it takes so long, but we have to send them to CA for tanning around here. For a fleshed hide, that runs about $30. Otherwise, it costs over $100 if not fleshed.

If you are looking for a quick deal to get a pelt here and now. I saw some tanned hides on e-bay, as well as rugs and full mounts for that matter. Some of the prices seemed reasonable to me, if I were in the market.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Some of those may well be from my friend Chase Dunn. He sells a LOT on eBay.

Phone him and say I sent ya. After he jokes about that tripling your price, he'll do you right.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I too wish there was a buyer for pelts nearby here. Back in the 80's, a man came thru every couple weeks from late November thru the end of February. He was from Oregon, and he would buy them frozen for 10-15.00, but they had to have good hair on them or no deal. That meant we had to harvest the ones up on the hills or better yet, in the Sierras where it gets real cold at night.

Our 35 degree nights for a few weeks on the San Joaquin Valley floor are just not cold enough to produce the good coats that the market wants.

Back then, however, the market was so high, they would accept some that were of lower grade. But not now. They want the prime pelts, and are willing to pay.

Also, the tannery in Ceres California, does a great job, BUT like Steven D says, the turnaround time is 10 months to a year, and costs 30.00, to get a finished product that MAY be worth $45-55.00, next year.

Japans economy is good again, and when it is, they pay big $$ for fur. Note their stock index, the NIKKEI is entering its 5th year of a bull run. The strongest and highest ever.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/28/news/international/nikkei.reut/index.htm

·
Registered
365 Posts
GP, I'm not sure if Chase buys them unskinned or not (or at all, for that matter). He's normally a wholesaler of finished items. But I'd sure call him to ask, if I were you. He'll know where and who if he doesn't. He's just outside Logan, in Cache County. The number is in a reply up above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts